Join Early Retirement Today

Leveling Payment and SS together
Old 07-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Leveling Payment and SS together

What is to keep you from using the leveling option from an employer until age 67, but start actually drawing SS at and earlier age (say 63)? This seems like a double dip and it seems like it would caught somehow.. Hmmm.. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how is it a double dip?

if you take SS early you will just be "unlevel"

Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Well, it seems as though you would be drawing the leveling payment and the SS at the same time for the years that you started drawing SS until the end of the leveling payment. Basically, I tell my employer that I'm not going to draw SS until 67, but really start at 63, so from 63 to 67 I would be getting both payments. What would stop this?
Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm pretty sure the plan document specifies how the leveling is calculated and it doesn't depend on when you actually take SS. What does your SPD say? Have you talked to the plan administrator?

Basically all leveling does is restructure your annuity into a temporary piece (equal to the projected SS benefit) and a life annuity piece.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

I have options for an annuity with leveling options for 62 to 67. For example, if I chose 62 the payment would be 5000 per month and reduced to 3000 per month when I turn 62. For 67, I would get 4500 per month and reduced to 2000 per month when I turn 67. It just seems like I could chose the 67 option and really start drawing SS at 62 and thus the double dip (not really double since I think the level is 50% of the SS estimated payment). This is all based on a retirement date of January of next year. If I don't do leveling then the payment would be 3200 a month (hence the leveling option is attractive).....
Old 07-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbw1200 View Post
I have options for an annuity with leveling options for 62 to 67. For example, if I chose 62 the payment would be 5000 per month and reduced to 3000 per month when I turn 62. For 67, I would get 4500 per month and reduced to 2000 per month when I turn 67. It just seems like I could chose the 67 option and really start drawing SS at 62 and thus the double dip (not really double since I think the level is 50% of the SS estimated payment). This is all based on a retirement date of January of next year. If I don't do leveling then the payment would be 3200 a month (hence the leveling option is attractive).....
I'm confused, but curious. What age are you now? Was the bold a typo for 67? Or are you collecting prior to 62 (OK, this seems to make some sense)? How many years prior to 62?? COLA?

So $5000 between now(?) and 62, then $3000 for life?

versus

$4500 between now(?) and 67, then $2000 for life?

That doesn't seem right, either - can you spell it out (maybe I'm just being thick?)? Or are you including SS in these figures

I'm pretty sure these leveling algorithms are designed to be revenue neutral for the average life expectancy of their population. They offer a higher payment now, for a later one later.

So I don't think they care if you take SS early, at FRA, or delayed. They figure they are making the same payout on average over time.

-ERD50

Tags
leveling, social security