Join Early Retirement Today

Money or Happiness?!?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Money or Happiness?!?

Well during my daily read of blogs I came across this link from a finance company on happiness.

http://www.trendfollowing.com/whitepaper/happiness.pdf

It was an interesting read that got me thinking, how often do you realize that your fixating on your money rather than working on your happiness? I believe all of us here tend to worry about the money a bit more than we should, so I hope you enjoy the read and can use the top ten ideas on improving your happiness.

CF
(Who has 1.5 days left at his old job and is really happy to go on vacation for two weeks starting this Friday!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Money or Happiness?!?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i would think most early retireds prioritize health & happiness over money. otherwise we'd still be stressed out & working to make more money.

hmmm. lets see. exercise, sex, socializing, meditating, sleeping. check, check, check, check and check.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
i would think most early retireds prioritize health & happiness over money. otherwise we'd still be stressed out & working to make more money.

hmmm. lets see. exercise, sex, socializing, meditating, sleeping. check, check, check, check and check.
This is true. I focus on "How's my life going?" Now "ow much money do I have"?" (Or have left this week?)

And in fact I can'stand being around "normal" people or "working"people anymore because all do is whine on and on about money without DOING anything about it. And they think "Oh with only a little more money...." or "Oh if only could get my hands on some big money..." The same crap all of us here have been listeng to for years.

razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the link. It's true you cannot fill the inner void with externals, i.e., money, power, status, fame, fancy cars, big houses. Hapiness is all about feeling good as a result of appreciating what you already have, resisting the temptation for more, caring about youself and others, and developing cordial relationships with others.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
Are those supposed to be in a certain order?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Are those supposed to be in a certain order?
um, no. it was the order on the op's link. and i would have added eating. speaking of which, there's nothing in this house to eat. i gotta go shopping and spend some money on a little happy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Thanks for the link. It's true you can fill the inner void with externals, i.e., money, power, status, fame, fancy cars, big houses. Hapiness is all about feeling good as a result of appreciating what you already have, resisting the temptation for more, caring about youself and others, and developing cordial relationships with others.
Yep. I don't remember who said it but, "he who wants little is easily satisfied."
ktupper is offline   Reply With Quote