Need some advice....where to put the $

citrine

Full time employment: Posting here.

I have some money from birthday and graduation...$2000 that I need to put in an account and I am not sure where to put it.

Fidelity: 401K, pension
Neuberger/Berman: Roth IRA, IRA, Focus/Partners/Guardian Equity Fund Series

I am thinking of opening up a Vanguard account but am not sure if I should do the Target Retirement or not. In addition to the 2K, I will have 200/month to put it that account. Currently, I don't have a 401K with company that I am with or health insurance, so I am paying out of pocket/savings for both of them. The owners are looking into both of these things and would not be able to offer it until summer of 2010. I have already not contributed anything for the last ten months due to school and career change. I did send $1500 to the Equity Fund series last month after paying bills.

Put it in a Roth IRA. I am not a fan of Target Retirement Funds in general. Since you are dollar cost averaging going forward, I would put the $2000 in one fund and build out over time into different asset classes..............

Adding to what FD said, I think that since most Vanguard funds have a $3,000 minimum, I would choose the Vanguard "Star Fund" which is a balanced fund with a $1,000 minimum.

Back
Top Bottom