OK.....I really LOVE my job because....

maddythebeagle

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok. enough of the "I hate my job threads";)

I really LOVE my job because....

1. free office supplies
2. group health insurance
3. social interaction
4. dont have to worry about a SWR-money magically shows up in bank account every 2 weeks
5. internet
6. per diem
7. vacation days

feel free to add to the list...

They let me transfer a Silicon Valley salary to a small town in Texas with a very low cost of living, and where I can telecommute 3-4 times a week.

...I'm browsing this board while at work.

Well, I guess that's #5, but had to emphasize being here.

8. I'm my own boss.
9. I come and go when I please.
10. I work on things I like and delegate the others.

good ones...I can generally come and go as I please in my current job as well...the first job that I had they went as far as having a sign-in and out sheet:p... quite a bit of freedom in not sweating the small stuff and emphasizing parts of the job that I like....

11. They gave me a fast car and occasionally I could drive it as fast as it could go.

12. I got to run around at all hours of the night looking for trouble. I often got paid even more (overtime) if I found it.

13. If somebody gave someone else a sufficiently large dose of crap or tried to evade basic responsibilities I could actually do something about it and take them to jail. "No, it's not nice to drive over pedestrians, and this is why you shouldn't do that again. Big Mike is anxious to meet you."

14. We have a massage therapist come every Wednesday to give chair massages.

15. I get paid overtime but get the rest of my benefits as a salaried employee.

16. Summer Fridays!

I like the autonomous nature of my job. Much of the time I work alone. Also like the high speed internet so I can frequent my favorite forums. My schedule is 12 hour shifts, but the most I have to work in a row is three, and usually only two. Lots of vacation time too. Feel kinda semi-ERd already.

I really love my job because:

My new employer seems to have forgotten that I exist
I have very little work to do
I work from home most days
and they keep paying me.

Their office is my office. I can get by with a cheap dial-up internet connection at home.

It's a place to receive packages, the UPS guy knows me by name. His CPA tells him it's too early to retire.

Occasional "free lunch"!!! LOL!!

My third grade teacher had the right idea: "write on the blackboard 500 times: 'I do not like my j*b.'" Oops, I'm on the wrong thread.

Last edited:
30 days paid vacation every year.
Yearly allowance for clothes that I never buy.
I get paid to rent.
Free tuition.
4 day work week.
Office has a view of the ocean.

Not so bad, me thinks!

18. They gave me stock options (currently worth more than 40 times the gross salary of my last year) for 40 years of w*rk.

Things I like about my job are -

1. I can work part-time (no bennies) and make a great living
2. I get to help people recover their independence after an injury/illness (i.e. walking, getting out of a chair, etc.)
3. I get to wear scrubs, too!

Ditto 2, 3, 4 & 10 plus;

19. Been at it long enough that the job is easy to get best in class results ongoing...
20. ...and I get paid more than I ever dreamed to do it...
21. ...and never been asked to do anything illegal, immoral, etc.
21. Boss can be frustrating to work with but he's smart, hard-working and kind to a fault - I could do far, far worse.

So I stick with it even though we've been FI for a few years now.

Love is a strong word, but...

Here are the perks of my job, which are very important to me:

1. free office supplies
2. good family health insurance
3. i love some of my coworkers and don't hate anyone
4. freedom to browse this forum at work (they did block blogspot and eBay)
5. 5 weeks of vacation, plus comp time
6. subsidized bus pass
7. can use the agency car for evening meetings
8. 457(b) plan can be withdrawn as soon as I leave the j*b, no need to wait until 59 1/2
9. can go to gym during lunch hour
10. can go to library during lunch or pretty much whenever I want -- facilitating LBYM
11. coworkers are generally cheapskates, too, so no need to "keep up with the joneses"
12. since promotions are rare and there is no bonus, there is no need for coworkers to backstab each other.
13. when I tell strangers what I do, they usually think it's really cool
14. I can go for coffee with coworker during the day, when things aren't crazy

Last edited:
Really? Cool! What kind of dog, and is it a part of your job to interact with it?

He's a 20-30 lb. mutt who comes to visit us. His owner used to be employed at the office. She left, but the dog kept coming. We shower him with affection and treats.

It's not part of my job to interact with him, but it doesn't look bad if the boss catches me playing with the dog, either. :)

Things I like about my job are -

1. I can work part-time (no bennies) and make a great living
2. I get to help people recover their independence after an injury/illness (i.e. walking, getting out of a chair, etc.)
3. I get to wear scrubs, too!

Number 2 (if and when it happens) sounds better than anything I ever did. Lucky you!

Ok. enough of the "I hate my job threads";)

I really LOVE my job because....

1. free office supplies
2. group health insurance
3. social interaction
4. dont have to worry about a SWR-money magically shows up in bank account every 2 weeks
5. internet
6. per diem
7. vacation days

feel free to add to the list...

The other day I told my DW that I was feeling sad. She asked why. I told her I realized that now that I am FIREd I will never have any more paid vacation days. :(:(:(

1. I have a 35-hour work week and I never have to stay late.
2. I have an excuse to read for two hours every day (on the train)
3. Free coffee and tea
4. Gets me downtown every day in an interesting area--way better for lunchtime walks than the area around my home
5. Next year, I get to go to Hawaii (state #48!)

...my job would be way more awesome if we had a cat, though.

1. i'm not there anymore.
2. it gave me the opportunity to save enough in my TSP 401(k) and a 5% match do i could FIRE at 48
3. it gave me a deferred pension and a survivor benefit to pay my bills
4. it gave me survivor health benefits
5. it gave me job security
6. i'm not there anymore. <echo effect>

>:D

Back
Top Bottom