Old--Smart--Productive

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
That's what is on the cover of Biz Week.  I didn't read it cause I'm only 2 of those 3 qualities, but for those whose idea of retirement finance is to keep on keeping on---well Business Week is trying to help.

Here's their teaser for the article:

Old. Smart. Productive.
Today's seniors may prove the saving grace for tomorrow's economy. If employers take advantage of older Americans' experience, the standard of living could rise, Medicare financial woes could lessen and the great Social Security question might be all the easier to solve.
::)

JPatrick said:
Old. Smart. Productive...
... all great euphemisms for "I don't have any retirement savings."

-- Nords (Younger. Smarter. Much lazier.)

JPatrick said:
That's what is on the cover of Biz Week.  I didn't read it cause I'm only 2 of those 3 qualities, but for those whose idea of retirement finance is to keep on keeping on---well Business Week is trying to help.

Here's their teaser for the article:

Old. Smart. Productive.
Today's seniors may prove the saving grace for tomorrow's economy. If employers take advantage of older Americans' experience, the standard of living could rise, Medicare financial woes could lessen and the great Social Security question might be all the easier to solve.
::)

OK, here's the link to the story.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazin...01_mz001.htm?c=bwinsiderjun17&n=link1&t=email

None of which will happen unless the older, smarter, productive will work for peanuts.

Corporate america wants 25, freshly graduated, willing to work 80 hours a week and aggressive.

Having had both types on my staff, I realize you need both. I had older, smarter, productive throw out a solution in 10 minutes while younger, more aggressive and harder working was still spinning its wheels six weeks later. Also had older, smarter, productive spend an hour resolving a head butting situation between a pair of younger, more aggressive and harder workings that were more interested in the head butting than in getting to the goal.

Small businesses and smart managers will make good use of the "got no savings" types as they age.

Right after I transferred to another division, HR 'redeployed' everyone over 48 that was in my old department. "Not improving skills to plan".

I know a couple of retired guys (both with pensions) and dont need to work. One guy fixes lawn mowers and seems to really enjoy it. I think the problem is that he is so good and honest that TOO many people have him working on stuff. BUT he is working for himself at his home. I probably will find some kind of small business for few extra bucks that I can do 2-3 days a week. I am thinking of buying a few houses to fix up and sell. I have done a remodel of my current farm house (more extensive than I wold want to do again).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom