Q: Worst part of your j*b?

When I was still working it was meetings. Meetings to plan meetings, meetings to discuss how a meeting went, meetings to discuss ways to cut down on meetings, meetings to discuss how to make meetings more effective.....

Yeah, those several thousand hours of my life that I spent listening to a windbag go on and on about, "here's my latest thinking....".

1) Commute. 2 hours per day staring at tailpipes.
2) "8 Bosses, Bob". I have to answer to about 12 different persons- None of whom can even remotely consider me as a direct report employee.

I have 8 different bosses right now. Bob#1: I beg your pardon. Peter: 8 bosses. Bob#1: 8? Peter: 8, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have 8 different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled. That and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that'll only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

1. Special programs, etc. that will 'fix' educational problems and 'fix' students who don't want to learn. Especiall those pushed by wealthy people (many of whom never went to a public school.) After all "if you're rich they think you really know." Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof.

2. Administrators who don't understand their role in education and that having the teachers 'work harder' is not going to fix the problems.

3. No Child Left Behind - a well intentioned idea that turned into No Child Gets Ahead and No Teacher Left Unpunished.

Mean, ornery, people that you need to kiss butt too because that is what we do.

It amazes me how people choose to waste so much energy being mean, rude, and belittling to a basic stranger who has no control over the situation.

Who wants to live life that way? Is that a life? :confused:

On a more fundmental basis, I am increasingly goddamn sick of sitting in a gray cube while the world is going on out there.

Same for me back then and what I did was I would take a walk out of the office building once a day (excluding the lunch break) - just go out and walk for 10 minutes and come back to office. Surprisingly, I bump into a number of colleagues on the street either having a smoke or coffee or just walking around - so looks like a lot of people could not stand being cooped up in the office building.

Same for me back then and what I did was I would take a walk out of the office building once a day (excluding the lunch break) - just go out and walk for 10 minutes and come back to office. Surprisingly, I bump into a number of colleagues on the street either having a smoke or coffee or just walking around - so looks like a lot of people could not stand being cooped up in the office building.

That worked for a while. Now that the nice weather is here the homeless and aggressive panhandlers have multiplied and the nutjobs with bullhorns screaming in front of the building I work in have multiplied.

Are they shouting "Just one more year!!"... or "It's time to go!!"...?

Earlier this week they were harranguing passersby something to the effect that my employer was killing babies. Just one of the many perks of where I work.

Better than the constant nagging worry about another terrorist incident in NYC. Plus if push came to shove, Mr. Bullhorn would be getting a kick in the crotch and I would be running the other way. Can't do that with a dirty bomb in Penn Station.

Reactions: W2R
Deadlines...people set deadlines without knowing the entire scope of the project.

I hate how it takes forever to earn any vacation time. :mad: I was sick this entire weekend. All I kept thinking was how I hope I recover in time for work on Monday. If I had even 1 day of vacation time, I would call out tomorrow. Overall I feel much better but will have to suffer through work tomorrow with a nagging cough.

(I will be adding more dislikes in the future as they irk me).

On a more fundmental basis, I am increasingly goddamn sick of sitting in a gray cube while the world is going on out there.

The grass is always greener. One of the things that attracted me to police work was that I hated prospect of working in an office.

Sixteen years later an office job looked pretty good after dealing with innumerable idiots, morons, fools and imbeciles. And the criminals were even worse.:LOL:

I do have a window, but yeah, me, too. I've seen a few lucky glimpses of what's happening out there, and it is way better than what's going on in here.

I do have a window, but yeah, me, too. I've seen a few lucky glimpses of what's happening out there, and it is way better than what's going on in here.

Believe me, it is! Sometimes I wonder how I managed to survive all those years of cubicle life and sitting all the time. Try to do better than me, and get out before you are 61, though. ;)

Stuff like the attached picture from yesterday help a lot with cube time.

Attachments

• 2012-04-22 001 019.jpg
    2012-04-22 001 019.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 31
the CEO's over-promoted/over-paid/ex-secretary who gets large bonuses and "invests" it into plastic surgery has a 19 yo, pregnant daughter-in-law working in our department who sends out emails every time she will be using the printer/copier for more than 5 minutes at a time instructing the department to get their "copying" done in 20 minutes so she can use the printer/copier. We then get another email letting us know when she is done. My highly sophisticated and detailed time management system has my trips to the copy machine scheduled down to the half hour. (<-sarcasm)

I don't know why this pisses me off, but these 2+ emails per day does for some odd reason.

LOL
This scenario sounds like it could have made it into the "Office Space" script.

Even when record earnings are being reported, it's more layoffs, more jobs offshored to India, more cuts in benefits and more wage freezes even as you are expected to work longer and harder because headcount goes down, but the workload only grows.

This.

And the now quarterly performance reviews. Which generate the data for the 10-15% cuts. My megacorp has found it's Core Competancy - which is headcount reduction.

And the conference calls with the teams in India at 8:30pm and 5:30 am... so I can train them in my job. Literally, I'm having to wake up early so I can train them in the nuances of my job.... so I can join the 10-15% cuts.

I used to love what I do (engineer)... Now I start dreading the work week sometime mid-Sunday afternoon.

This.
I used to love what I do (engineer)... Now I start dreading the work week
sometime mid-Sunday afternoon.

One of my gut reactions to this thread topic was "Sunday Evenings".

Walt34 said:
The grass is always greener. One of the things that attracted me to police work was that I hated prospect of working in an office.

Sixteen years later an office job looked pretty good after dealing with innumerable idiots, morons, fools and imbeciles. And the criminals were even worse.:LOL:

I never worked police, but my job entailed working with them. I honestly dont know how you do it long enough to make a career out of it without going crazy, and like you said that is beside the criminal activity you deal with. Another thing that really ticks me off is the media and their headlines. Just 2 days ago I read on that said "Police shoot and kill woman who stole a car". Well you have to read 3 paragraphs down to find out she came out of the car with a loaded pistol pointed at the officers and would not comply with orders to drop it. If you just scan a headline, you think the policemen were trigger happy over a car theft, which was not the reason at all.

Back
Top Bottom