Q: Worst part of your j*b?

This thread brought back awful memories! I hated everything about Megacorp...lack of fresh air, ego driven managers/directors/VP's, the kissing ass syndrome, the drawn out thesis which was your performance review for a 1.5% increase! ARGH!

The only thing that gets on my nerves a little bit now is the amount of laundry I have to do....but I get over it quickly because more laundry equals more money :)

Ah, the latest:

After executing on a plan for the last year and a half and doing a damn good job, we laid down our plan for the next year. It was approved and we started to plunge forward. Yesterday the head office did a complete 180 (with no warning) and told us to tear up the plan, we need to review the outcome of the last 18 months of work, before you do anything you must check with legal, and no, we can't give you any firm guidelines because everything is on a case-by-case basis. As of now, about the only thing I can do on the client site without specific approval from head office legal is take a dump in the men's room (and I am not even sure about that).

Suddenly, I am not allowed to do my job. I hate these people.

hmm.. i work in a hotel and the worst part is having to check in a bunch of drunk blokes who comes to newquay for a stag party. STRESSFUL!

That sums up my work place. So damn tired of being blamed for everything even though it's not my job function. Tired of being scrap goat.

Ready to move on as soon as they give me my servance package.

Once I leave, I think I will do what most of my former co-workers are doing...work 2 years at one company and move to a new company after 2 years because the BS you described exist at every company, but at least the BS will be a different place and not the damn same people.

I wish I had a thick skin and was a back stabber because I would have been an excellent Director!

Amen, brother. You sound like the type of coworker we all should have rather than the sharks we got to deal with at work. That sucks you gotta take a severance package. I hope you get a job that will make you happy :blush:

LOL!! No cute women/men to look at :D

lol. I've been working since I was 16 and I've always been lucky to have workplace women that wake you up better than that morning coffee just by looking at them ...Know what I mean? *wink* *wink* :angel:

Eye candy boost moral at the workplace :dance:

Now? :facepalm:

lol. I've been working since I was 16 and I've always been lucky to have workplace women that wake you up better than that morning coffee just by looking at them ...Know what I mean? *wink* *wink* :angel:

Eye candy boost moral at the workplace :dance:

Now? :facepalm:

While I had many attractive looking women in my (former) workplace, the dress code we had until the late 1990s required them to wear stuffy, unflattering formal attire. But when the dress code became "business casual," their attire changed to tighter sweaters, tighter slacks, and some lower necklines. :)

But the worst part of my job was always the commute, and days like this with the snowy weather were the worst. I am soooooooo glad I don't have to venture outside on mornings on this. I had plenty of them in my 23 years of commuting. The last 7 years were part-time so I dodged some of the bad weather, but I still had my share of bad commutes anyway.

I've had 3 jobs in 5 years, and each had the pros and cons. Some of the worst cons I had were:

1st job : 55 min commute on back roads (ie winding 25mph roads going 55mpg to get to work)
2nd job: Great Job! Paid 50% below market value....
3rd job: Tiny cubical in basement where I sit all day infront of the computer.... gaining weight.

My job right now:

Pros: I just gave myself a promotion and no one has bucked it yet.

Cons: I haven't managed to give myself a raise to reward me for that hard earned promotion.

The main cons about my job:
- Travel: it was a perk when I started, but 33 years later all of the airports/rental cars/hotels blend into the same big mass. While I don't have to travel as much as I used to (for over a decade it was as high as 50-80%), even now it is something I don't look forward to do.
- Workload: Our organization has gone down around 75% in the last 10 years while our responsibility scope has increased. It means much less ability to specialize and having to be a jack of trades across the board. That includes administrative things. And more than a few weekends I find myself doing things to keep up (reading for the job, sorting emails).

However, the pros:
- Working in a field (IT) that I have enjoyed since high school and is also a hobby.
- Attaining salary and bonuses at levels I'd never thought I'd reach without becoming a commissioned salesperson, manager, or executive
- Getting free access to a ton of software.
- Ability to work from home as I choose.
- I'm not tracked by hours worked but by project accomplishments.

I'm still looking forward to retiring, but I wouldn't object to coming back and working part time if the opportunity came up.

The main cons about my job:
- Travel: it was a perk when I started, but 33 years later all of the airports/rental cars/hotels blend into the same big mass. While I don't have to travel as much as I used to (for over a decade it was as high as 50-80%), even now it is something I don't look forward to do.

Yep. I've hit the travel wall at year 33 myself. Just got back from a nice vacation and it's back on the road Monday for a long term road trip:facepalm:

Firing people to cut expenses. Over the years I let people go for performance reasons and was not bothered that much by it, because substantial effort was first put into helping them do their jobs. Toward the end of my career, we were letting go 10% or 15% of the employees each year. Financial performance was good but it was cut, reduce, and find a way.

Letting people go for no fault of their own, is the worst. I have closed one plant, and one office. One guy took it very bad. He killed himself that weekend.

While getting fired under these terms, seems at the time like the end of the world, I found most move on to equal to or better jobs. I work for a mega corp.

Oh. Well, my workplace definitely won't take any prizes in that regard - looking awful is almost a point of pride with many. Still, I managed to find an outlier to marry :LOL:

Amethyst

LOL!! No cute women/men to look at :D

Letting people go for no fault of their own, is the worst. I have closed one plant, and one office. One guy took it very bad. He killed himself that weekend.
I think it feels even worse when it's a very profitable company already having record profits doing it. Enough is never enough for these executives and their shareholders (and yes, I know I'm a shareholder). Wall Street's demands are such that whatever you profit, it's not enough and you need more. Never mind how many lives and families are broken by it through no real fault of their own.

At least when a company is fighting for survival, one can appreciate why these actions are necessary.

You were lucky he took it out on himself and not you!

You were lucky he took it out on himself and not you!

Yes, you never know if and when that could happen, these days. I have had a few face to face death threats, but those are probably not the ones who would act on it.

BTW profit for mega corp is counted in the billions / year.

It took me a while to get that...

It's not about the MONEY - it's about the AMOUNT. :)

Being an operations superintendent at a chemical plant when I was still a working stiff were those late night/early morning phone calls about plant problems or worse yet about somebody getting hurt and taken to the hospital.

As far as being a part of employment hearings and letting people go, I didn't like it but by the same token, it had to be done and usually for good reason. We basically had a three strikes and you're out policy. In fact I recall one employee telling us he was shocked that we hadn't fired him earlier. If it wasn't for the union we no doubt would have.

I remember having to recommend to my boss that we let a staff member go due to his incompetence. Even though he made it easy to make the recommendation (he was a nitwit), the whole process still turned my stomach (and my stomach was having its own unrelated problems at the time). One of my most unhappy moments.

Ah, the latest:

After executing on a plan for the last year and a half and doing a damn good job, we laid down our plan for the next year. It was approved and we started to plunge forward. Yesterday the head office did a complete 180 (with no warning) and told us to tear up the plan, we need to review the outcome of the last 18 months of work, before you do anything you must check with legal, and no, we can't give you any firm guidelines because everything is on a case-by-case basis. As of now, about the only thing I can do on the client site without specific approval from head office legal is take a dump in the men's room (and I am not even sure about that).

I thought I'd be the only one to have that feeling. Nope, looks like brewer and I are in a similar boat, even if the functions differ somewhat. Nothing like a year of work going down the drain for mysterious reasons.

Yeah, the layoffs, HR review garbage, and other stuff is a pain too. I'm not in management so I can't relate to the problems of firing. I can only imagine that is terrible.

But as a designer, engineer, programmer, creative person... having your work tossed (usually for politics) is very depressing.

Ah, the latest:

Entire empires have fallen using this strategy. Case in point, Fabius Maximum taking out Hannibal.

I thought I'd be the only one to have that feeling. Nope, looks like brewer and I are in a similar boat, even if the functions differ somewhat. Nothing like a year of work going down the drain for mysterious reasons.

Yeah, the layoffs, HR review garbage, and other stuff is a pain too. I'm not in management so I can't relate to the problems of firing. I can only imagine that is terrible.

But as a designer, engineer, programmer, creative person... having your work tossed (usually for politics) is very depressing.

Eh, in a way it s freeing. They obviously don't give a rat's patoot, so neither will I. My paycheck is the same regardless, so if they want to pay me to sit around with my finger up my butt, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom