Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And REW, why 50A? Without AC requirement, a 15A outlet would be sufficient, for crying out loud. What do you do? Stringing Xmas lights all around the RV?
The hot tub requires a lot of juice.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. What does your DW think about it? Never mind I should have hit refresh to read your message above
2. Will you let us camp there when you buy it?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #23

We own land in Fremont County, CO so I am biased towards Colorado. I would say go for it.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you (and the wife!) really really really want it go for it. But just because somebody else buys it now doesn't mean it is off the market permanently. In 10, 15, or 20 years from now you'll be in a better position to take advantage of the place. The land isn't going anywhere the new owners maybe be willing or even anxious to sell. Sure the price may (hopefully will be higher) but will be a lot higher who knows.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #25
gone traveling

Buy it!

I owned a 500+ acre ranch in Wyoming for 15 years; it was a childhood dream that never went away. If I had passed on the opportunity to buy it when it became available, it would have always been "the one that got away".

You only go around once; grab the ring!

WS
Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

slightly off topic, but maybe whats so awesome about the area is that you arent looking at a bunch of cabins, utilties roads ect that are being suggested here. If you just buy the land and use it for camping etc that would cut down dramatically on the cost associated with your plan and keep the place beautiful.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Forget it.

Since you won't be able to use it for 20 years, except to go there and look at the view now and then (which you can do without purchasing it), you need to look at it for what it is: an investment. In that case, you should evaluate whether it is a good investment or not. Whether it's beautiful or smells good is not an issue.

If it's not a good investment, forget it. There are millions of beautiful lots, there is no way that this is the only one that will make you happy. You can find something else in 20 years if you are still interested.

The financial dreams of many are destroyed when they fall in love with a house, and just have to have it. They know there they will never find anything else as nice.

This consequences of this decision could dwarf those of many of your other financial decisions -- don't make it based on emotion.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Forget it.

Since you won't be able to use it for 20 years, except to go there and look at the view now and then (which you can do without purchasing it), you need to look at it for what it is: an investment. In that case, you should evaluate whether it is a good investment or not. Whether it's beautiful or smells good is not an issue.

If it's not a good investment, forget it. There are millions of beautiful lots, there is no way that this is the only one that will make you happy. You can find something else in 20 years if you are still interested.

The financial dreams of many are destroyed when they fall in love with a house, and just have to have it. They know there they will never find anything else as nice.

This consequences of this decision could dwarf those of many of your other financial decisions -- don't make it based on emotion.
ITA with Al, who knows what your retirement needs/goals/situation will be & it will detract from achieving FI. I have met many retired peeps that still hold their "retirement Land" and never use it or need it when they are FIRED, because so much has changed in their lives and perspectives since they purchased the land.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #29

Quote:
I am 36 years old

For the most part I am pretty good at deferring pleasure opting to save now and enjoy later. This opportunity has presented itself and I am seriously considering trying to nab this slice of real estate heaven (can you tell I admire it). Am I crazy for wanting to buy this land knowing that other investments will probably have better returns over the next 30 years? I know I am emotionally connected to this issue but should I allow the emotions to be part of my decision or just let the logical/calculated logic drive my decision? Any advice for someone like me who's facing a decision like this?
Is this property intended to be a potential post-kids FIRE full time destination or a second home type getaway location? Big difference.

Your age is an asset. The opportunity cost is x additional years of work. That might be a good deal if you get an additional FIRE option or if x is not a big number. It also might be an getaway location that limits your family vacation capacity.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a believer in the adage that there is no such thing as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. If you turn it down you may lose that parcel but there will be others, or you'll stumble on to the boat of your dreams, or your tastes will drift and you'll buy remote beach property, or a financial downturn will make you glad you still have the money, etc.

Not saying you should or should not buy it, but with a family in an uncertain future, be careful. Buying it and then stressing out for decades will not make you happy. If you feel you can swing it and get by nicely and securely great. If not, don't get seduced - there are always new opportunities down the road, maybe even better.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

For some reason I have you living on an island off the coast of Brazil....Are you in the states? If you haven't seen the land in 10 years you need to see it again; when a kid, Bazooka Double Bubble was the best flavour in the world - sometime later it was gawdawful. Could be that area is all built up now or the views are of the new powerlines & wrecking yard. That said, if it is still what you remember and you still want it - buy it. Lots of views and land out there, but if a place is perfect for you - grab it. You can always start another discussion board to pay for it, right?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You can always start another discussion board to pay for it, right?
fourpercentswr.com is available...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

For me anyway, one of life's thinnest pleasures is owning a beautiful piece of land. I have not always felt that way, which brings up the issue that not only do times and circumstances change, so does one's own self. Of all the things I thought would be just right for me over the years, only two would pass the screen today, as I am and and as my circumstances are now. Living right where I do live, or in a similar set-up no more than a few miles away, or going back to whatever LA Beach City I found both affordable and still appealing.

The rest, happy as I was when I was there and living that life, I couldn't be forced to do today. A foot cannot be put into the same river twice.

This may not apply to you in any way, but then it may.

Ha
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You need to go look at it and then make your decision.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #35
Administrator

Sometimes you just have to close yer eyes and jump.

If you do, I'm up for organizing the 1st annual 'Camp at Andys' e-r.org bash.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm...I don't know. It sounds wonderful being a dream come true, etc. but this time span of 20 years sounds sooooo long away. I don't think I'd be able to commit to such a deal.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I have some thoughts:

1) Four pillars style, sit down and do the math. What will it cost you on average to vacation there; vs your normal vacation? How does it affect your ER date and 4% plan... how many years of work does it add. Etc.
2) What developments have gone on around it lately? Have you kept up with the local news; is there going to be some development that will soon ruin it? My uncle built a beautiful house into a hill just out of a large forest. He had a waterfall running around the side and down the hill to a coy pond. Then some guy bought the forest and leveled it.
3) Back to math for a sec... how many of your yearly vacation(s) will now be retreat vacations.. how much will this save or cost you?
4) Could you timeshare it or rent it out?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #38

I'm afraid I'm in the "no" camp, because a lot can change in your life between now and when you expect to be able to use this property. Priorities may be completely different in the future.
As you know, there are many many beautiful places in the world and you may find that you don't want to trade the chance to take your family to see them for just going to visit this one place.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Andy,

A few weeks ago, we closed on a log cabin in the mountains in WV. The price was right, I love the cabin and the town it's in, and it gives us a weekend place for now, a retirement place later. Paying the mortgage means we will be saving quite a bit less a month than we are now, but....

I had come to the conclusion that I will have to work a few more years than I had been planning because of health insurance restrictions (I'm a fed). Even with the mortgage, working the extra 4 years (til I am 57) means that I should be able to comfortably retire then even with reduced monthly savings.

When I eventually sell my townhouse, it will pay off both mortgages, and we'll have a place to retire. So, I figure it's a good trade. Plus, we get to enjoy it now as well - we spent the last two weekends out there, and sitting on the deck at night watching the stars with a glass of wine just brought a calm over me that is hard to value.

It is a big decision; but there are always trade-offs in life. You shouldn't live now always waiting for the future; you have to balance enough enjoyment now with the prospects of future enjoyment later.

My opinion: go for it!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Is there water?