Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Hey Brewer, I hope you feel better soon. I can't tell you how many times I drug myself into work when I was sick or risked life and limb getting into the office in a snowstorm. Take care of yourself dude.

I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...
Well I'm doing the opposite now. Doing nothing. And I'm better at doing this than any job I ever had.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Dunno. Will tell you in about 3 years when I have had time to find out whether I will become bored (major problem in my career to date). But in the meantime, its a pretty sweet spot IMO.
I've had boring workdays and exciting workdays.

Boring is better.

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Heck, the active duty folks have unlimited sick leave, just gotta see the navy doc...
In the Navy that's known as "preventive medicine"...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
The weird thing is since I retired I rarely get sick . After all those years of dragging myself in when I was sick and now that I can stay home if needed I do not need it . How is that for karma ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #25
Brewer, congrats on the new job, and if you get bored in 3 years (I do that, too), then move again! Enjoy it while it is interesting and before the sucky parts start getting noticeable.
I never take sick days, but I generally am pretty healthy anyway. I do take about 4 weeks or so of vacation every year, though. Not all at once, and I don't exactly keep track of how many days.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Congrats on the new gig, Brewer.
Diggin' my way to financial freedom, one buck-at-a-time
bow-tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I had to go to the doctor today for the first time since 2005 (cold which turned into a respiratory infection, it seems). I felt awful on Sunday and spent most of the day on the couch, sleeping part of the time. Yet I dragged myself into work yesterday even though there was nothing going on and I now work in a place where you are encouraged to stay home and get better if you are indeed sick. So why did I drag myself into work yesterday? Dunno about everyone else, but most of the places I worked at over the past decade had the expectation that unless you had actually lost a limb or were unconscious, you would be at your desk. I can't remember how many times I sucked it up and worked for a week or more sick when a day or two in bed would have seen me better. And now that I am working for a more enlightened employer it has all become so ingrained that my first reaction to getting sick was to be at my desk, come hell or high water. How toxic is that? Anyway, just another reason to insulate myself from dependence on any employer.
That cold is nasty. I had it last month, had to take a week off work, and was coughing stuff out of my lungs for four weeks.

Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote