Reason to FIRE #437: Toxic Lifestyle

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know if this is common or specific to me, but I notice that I tend to put on weight when I am under stress. The last 6 to 8 weeks of 2004 had management really cracking the whip on us to get things done before the end of the year, and since we have been understaffed and had increasing amounts of work dumped on us, it was not a happy time. Not surprisingly, I managed to put on 5 pounds over that time.

I took a 10 day vacation over the holidays to visit relatives in Denver. Despite my general lethargy (recovery time for me) and holiday food, guess what I found when I came home? The 5 pounds were gone.

Amazing what a lack of stress and more time to take care of oneself can do, even in a short time.

I agree that most work environments are toxic today, especially for folks who really care about their performance and truly want to do a good job. There are all kinds of "double-binds", like being forced to choose between quality and quantity, or maintaining ethical standards vs. meeting "goals", or complying with form at the expense of substance, and on and on. And the very best people suffer the most because they want to cover ALL the bases - and they can't - there's no way. So they're forced to strike a balance between doing what they believe to be "right" and doing what's necessary to survive. And when they choose survival over "right", they betray themselves - and that's toxic. Seeing peers who regularly breech ethical standards and get kudos is also toxic, especially if you end up working for a peer you know to be a sleaze-bag. Having a conscience really doesn't serve one in many of today's large organizations.

I grew up on a farm where we performed heavy physical labor, and where we all felt good about what we accomplished at the end of the day. We always slept very well and everyone was healthy. Old men went out and worked with the rest - I spent many hours working beside my 70-something grandfather, and that was very common. Then I went to work for a large organization because the days of being able to make a decent living on a small farm were coming to an end. I'm very glad to be done with my office job, but if I were farming I'd probably still be working, and I wouldn't mind doing it.

...I grew up on a farm where we performed heavy physical labor, and where we all felt good about what we accomplished at the end of the day. We always slept very well and everyone was healthy... but if I were farming I'd probably still be working, and I wouldn't mind doing it.

Amen to that Bob. Ideally, if I could, I would love that opportunity. Huge barriers to entry unless the farm is already in the family.

I also agree with the toxicity of corporate life. Living it everyday is a constant reminder of why I'm busting my fanny to create a FI nestegg...

>>Amen to that Bob. Ideally, if I could, I would love that opportunity. Huge barriers to entry unless the farm is already in the family.

Go for it...the barriers to entry aren't huge unless you plan on being a huge farmer...but I wouldn't recommend it. Most huge farms have little to do with any romantic notion of what farming is anymore...

You can run a hobby farm on a just few acres; I find it quite enjoyable; I am too young to sit on the front porch all day on my rocking chair...still put in long days, but can't really call it work since not only do I not get paid, I need to make up for the losses with my stash.

I have found that farming is a completely enjoyable job as long as you don't need to make any money...sure wouldn't want to try and feed a family on one. In my area there are quite a few people who came to farming late in life, and use all their losses to write off gains elsewhere. Those guys seem to really enjoy the farm life...those that need to sell x amount of product to pay the mortgage don't seem to enjoy it all that much..

That's true farmerEd.   I sure would like to AT LEAST supplement my income with farming.  I help my father-in-law farm now and I enjoy it immensely.  I've been doing a lot of pencil & head scratching trying to figure out if I can talk myself into taking the plunge.

Do you mind me asking what you raise/grow/etc on your hobby farm?

sorry for the hi-jack Brewer

Not at all. It is something to read while I play hooky from a truly dreadful mandatory training here at the salt mine.

...It is something to read while I play hooky from a truly dreadful mandatory training here at the salt mine.

Ha! I can relate to that...

The toxic part of corp life is the lack of feeling that you are actually building or making anything. Add to that the, stress, corp bull and nit picking over small issues and it is a wonder more people don't go postal.

I"m about 6-7 months to being out. I'm not going to burn any bridges. You never know when you will need a recommendation. It will be more like breaking up with a girlfriend. "No... it isn't you... it's me."

Living well is the best reward.

Wow! Quoting George Constanza and George Herbert
in consecutive posts. Honestly folks, where else can you find this stuff? :)

"living well is the best revenge!" is one of my favorites.
Quote it to myself all the time. A reminder when others
try to rain on my parade.

JG

I had a toxic co-worker for about a year and a half (til I finally left for a better job)- she was just a miserable person and loved dragging me down. I started whistling "Keep on the Sunnyside, always on the Sunnyside, keep on the sunnyside of life" whenever I was tempted to tell her off- the best part was it was my secret weapon- she had no clue what i was whistling.

I had a toxic co-worker for about a year and a half (til I finally left for a better job)- she was just a miserable person and loved dragging me down.  I started whistling "Keep on the Sunnyside, always on the Sunnyside, keep on the sunnyside of life" whenever I was tempted to tell her off- the best part was it was my secret weapon- she had no clue what i was whistling.

Interesting. I once had a toxic -- and clueless -- manager. I started whistling "If I only had a brain" whenever I saw him. Before long dozens of people started doing the same thing. The poor guy would walk down the hall and a refrain of whistling would follow him wherever he went. . . "if I only had a brain . . .

:)

salaryguru.... too funny! I'm going to remember that...hopefully there won't be a next time, but just in case

That's true farmerEd.   I sure would like to AT LEAST supplement my income with farming.  I help my father-in-law farm now and I enjoy it immensely.  I've been doing a lot of pencil & head scratching trying to figure out if I can talk myself into taking the plunge.

Do you mind me asking what you raise/grow/etc on your hobby farm?

A little of this, and a little of that. I grow some organic vegetables, make maple syrup and the biggest part of what I do, at least in terms of labor, is about 50 head of sheep and a dozen goats; both for meat and fiber. (may grow to about 100 sheep by next month if things go according to plan).

Still don't even break-even...but thats not the point right now anyway. I'd be perfectly happy if after doing all this I make enough to cover my farm expenses and pay my property taxes to boot. I don't mind working for free..just hope I don't have to pay for the privilege.

Not an ER - but I know of one farmer who grows 'pick your own' vegetables and has a regular client list.

Acceptable driving distance from 'Da city/suburbs'.

My best friend is a farmer, I think he works pretty hard.
He claims he does not make any money, and if not
for government subsidies he wouldn't have a chance
(now there is a sad commentary). Also buys and sells
on eBay. A couple of years ago he said he made more money that way than he did farming.

JG

A little of this, and a little of that. I grow some organic vegetables, make maple syrup and the biggest part of what I do, at least in terms of labor, is about 50 head of sheep and a dozen goats; both for meat and fiber. (may grow to about 100 sheep by next month if things go according to plan).
Still don't even break-even...but thats not the point right now anyway. I'd be perfectly happy if after doing all this I make enough to cover my farm expenses and pay my property taxes to boot. I don't mind working for free..just hope I don't have to pay for the privilege.

Thanks for the reply farmerEd.
That sounds like an awesome gig to me.  My in-laws grow the standard midwest fare... a little corn, a little soybeans, a few head of cattle.  They won't rival Trump anytime soon but it's farming... Perhaps owning everything and not answering to the bank is the secret.  I guess it's that way with anything.  Joe lunchbox can fall in love with the big house and big car.  Joe farmer can have wanderlust for the new combine and the bragging about the acres he farms, too.

Back
Top Bottom