Semi-retirement at 33?

My job is more flexible; I co-founded a design firm and I can basically do work from anywhere that has a high-speed Internet connection.

Make sure you can get a high speed connection and go for it. You are young and if you already cofounded a business you are the type that will land on your feet. Try to live on your investments as much as you can saving any money you earn until you can never have to worry about income. If worse comes to worse you can go to the city and work the school year and come home summers, christmas and vacations or start a new business where you are or write a book, or tutor local kids or grow nursery plants or cattle. Your cost of living will be low with no commuting cost, heck you don't even need to wear clothes unless you get cold.

I appreciate your concerns; defending our decision forces me to look at aspects of this that I may not have considered.

Is it the life we want; in a word: YES!!!  We have a bit of it here at the cottage, but we want more.  We find here that there are too many people on the lake, too many neighbors, too many annoyances. We'd buy a 1000 acres if we could. 

Friends?  Does it sound weird to say we don't really have any friends?  We have some acquaintances and we have people we work with, but no friends.  We don't go out Friday night to the bars with a bunch of people.  We drive to our little cottage (where I am at now) and spend the weekend hiding from the world. I had some friends in University, but slowly everyone moved away or lost touch.  The one person I considered my best friend basically stopped talking to me when I started making twice what he made.

With regards to our investments,  they will continue to grow since we are not actually selling anything.  The income being generated is purely from dividends and distributions. I may occasionally sell something to solidify some gains, but that gets reinvested in other dividend paying shares. 

With regards to my business, its already  long distance.  Half of our clients are in California and we've never met them face to face.  Everything is done by phone, email and ftp.  Because of the nature of our business, the end product is nothing more than electronic files that get sent to the machine shop/sheetmetal shop, or to that injection moulding company on mainland China. 

The only real reason we have an office is so our employees have a computer to sit at, a Pro-E license, e-mail and a phone.  The model of working remotely has already been well proven; we have a California "office" which is one guy in California who goes around and finds work down there.  When he gets a project, he's the prime and everything goes through him.  He works directly with our employees here in Ottawa, reviews their work, etc,  all over the web.  With VPN access its as if he's right on the network; he can grab a Pro-E license, run email, etc.

My business partner will be keeping the office running in return for a 57.5% / 42.5% split, whch will cost me $10,000 - $20,000/year. It seems like a bargain to me given that I no longer have to commute and get to work from home.

We've been doing alot of investigation about the job situation by talking to people on the ground there.  It looks like my wife can easily get substitute teacher work and make $15,000 - $20,000/year.  At face value, that seems to be a large drop in income.  However, consider the expenses we will be eliminating.

Mortgage: $20,000/year
2nd car: $6500/year
Gas for my commute: $2400
Insurance on car: $1200/year
Commute to cottage: $2400/year
Property tax, cottage: $1200/year
Total:  $33,700/year

After taxes and various deductions (dental, union dues, drug plan), my wife now nets just over $40,000/year.  Its practically a wash.  If anything, we may actually be able to save at a faster rate than we are now.   Based on my calculations, even if my income drops to the low $100K's, we still have enough to live, max out our RRSPs, and put aside about $60K in company investments.  If I make roughly what I am making now, its just extra and will go into savings.

Yes, the housing price is not likely to increase, but the house is free and clear.  Selling it for what we paid will net us $140,000 cash, in our pocket, along with the $30,000 reserve fund.  That's a hell of a lot of start-up money to go start life somewhere else.  Not to mention my wife has a guaranteed job waiting for her if we come back.  The only risk is if my company goes belly up, but I see that as being largely out of my control (aside from doing the best job I can do). If the economy tanks, it tanks, regardless of where I am.

SLC Tortfeasor said:
On the one hand, I'm thinking you're too young to move out to the middle of nowhere.  You will undoubtedly be pretty isolated in the new place, given how rural it sounds, and how far away it will be from your friends and loved ones.  Is that really the life you want for yourself? 

Or can you?  You're going to be moving out to a place where property probably will not appreciate very fast.  You're going to be living partly off your investments, thereby preventing them from growing very big.  And your wife will be struggling to find a job, and you'll be trying to keep your business alive long-distance, for probably less money than you're making now.

Basically, you'll be seriously stunting the growth of your net worth. 

eric said:
I appreciate your concerns; defending our decision forces me to look at aspects of this that I may not have considered.
Hey, that's why I post here too!

Dude, you have analyzed the situation to death. At this point the only opportunity cost is failing to seize the opportunity itself. Unlike the "just do it" or "80% of your salary" approach, you two seem to have considered all the issues and dealt with them. Of course you haven't solved that "winter weather" problem, but you have to live with that, not me.

Spread those wings and jump.

Nords said:
No, you're right, sorry, that was a joke but I missed the rimshot.

I was implying that his spouse decided to have a kid whether or not he changed his mind... and that it might be happening again...

Yep thats it. The genesis was..."well, we're older and my gynie says I probably cant get pregnant, so I was thinking of stopping taking these birth control pills, ok?"...I think I was replacing spark plugs in the expedition at the time, my response was a likely "Grunt". Had she said my head was on fire and armed men just broke the front door down, the response probably would have been the same.

About six weeks later she had nausea all the time and wanted to eat funny food. I said "Ha ha...I knocked you up!". She said "Ha ha...when are we getting married?" Dont ask me why "ha ha' was in the room.

For a while after the baby was born, the threat of "doing it to her again" was somewhat entertaining.

Now...not so much.

By the way, gynecologists dont know squat.

Growing up in a Catholic neighborhood I new too many guys whose 45 yo mothers just had new babies to ever trust a woman on a matter as important as that. I think sometimes the approach of menopause makes them even more baby hungry.

So when my wife reached this point I kept a supply of condoms in my gunsafe, where no one but me could get to them.

As a  result of this caution, I only have 2 kids, and no surprises.

Still, you are happy, I am sure your wife is happy, so it turned out just right for you.

Ha

Well I'm 45, and I STILL am not baby happy. Never was. Current plan is to keep taking those little blue pills until I'm 65.

While we're on this subject, if men are so sure they don't want the kids, why are they all so reluctant to get the <snip snip snip>:confused: ::)

Sherrrifer said:
While we're on this subject, if men are so sure they don't want the kids, why are they all so reluctant to get the <snip snip snip>:confused:     ::)
It's not the snipping.

It's the burning smell of the cauterizer and the crunching sounds of the crimper while you're looking down there and hoping that they've used enough lidocaine to keep you from feeling what you're smelling & hearing!

Sherrrifer said:
While we're on this subject, if men are so sure they don't want the kids, why are they all so reluctant to get the <snip snip snip>:confused:     ::)

I am preserving my fertility in case a virus comes along and kills or incapacitates all the other men on earth. I will need to be ready to throw myself into the breach.

Mind you I do not look forward to this; but I will be prepared!

Ha

Nords said:
It's the burning smell of the cauterizer and the crunching sounds of the crimper while you're looking down there and hoping that they've used enough lidocaine to keep you from feeling what you're smelling & hearing!

Man are you ever bringing back some unpleasant memories... :er: :er: :p :dead:

I was in the military at the time and when I went in for "the procedure", I was told to disrobe completely except for my t-shirt and socks. "Need to leave those on in case there is an emergecy and we have to evacuate the hospital." :eek: :eek:

Sherrrifer said:
Well I'm 45, and I STILL am not baby happy.  Never was.   Current plan is to keep taking those little blue pills until I'm 65.   

A few years ago I had an appointment for the procedure but my boys talked me out of it. (gulp) There was something they just didn't like about it.

Nords said:
It's not the snipping.

Swell. I wasnt fond of the idea before. Its a "never" now...

Sherrrifer said:
While we're on this subject, if men are so sure they don't want the kids, why are they all so reluctant to get the <snip snip snip>:confused: ::)

Wow...... you really, REALLY don't understand................. ;)

Tony Randall (79), David Letterman (56), Richard Gere (50), Michael Douglas (55), Cary Grant (62), Warren Beatty (63), Clint Eastwood (66), Charlie Chaplin (73).

The games not over until its over.

Cool Dood said:
Wow...... you really, REALLY don't understand................. ;)

Compared to all of the painful, humiliating, disgusting procedures we are required to go through on an annual basis (and that's just if everything's in working order)(not to mention actually having a kid) a little bit of burning and cauterizing doesn't seem so traumatic...

:D

HaHa said:
I am preserving my fertility in case a virus comes along and kills or incapacitates all the other men on earth. I will need to be ready to throw myself into the breach.

Mind you I do not look forward to this; but I will be prepared!

Ha

Thank you for that Ha. If I am the last woman on earth, I'll come looking for you. ;)

Maybe if they put a knob or a button or something on there that lets you turn it on and off at will...

This might be worthy of a poll. ;)

Come on guys, get 'er done. The world is full of enough people. We don't need you to be able to reproduce. :police:

Geezzz it's not like you're being neutered, they leave all the equipment there, just make them non functional. It's also a lot less invasive than the procedure a woman has to have.

Sigh. The fairer sex as usual misses the point.

Remember all that funny stuff about how everything a man does is to get laid? Its true. Theres not much point to it if you're "non functional". ;)

Besides, I might decide at 70 that I want to have another one. Or two. Or three.

I hate irrevocable decisions.

Sheryl said:
Thank you for that Ha.  If I am the last woman on earth, I'll come looking for you.   ;)

Sheryl:  In your trek to find the elusive Ha, make sure along the way, you p/up as much Wheat Bread as possible.  (Must cover all contingencies at that stage of the game.) 8)

I think if I was the last woman on earth and Ha was the only option, I'd get out some "do it yourself" surgery books and go for the sex change... :LOL:

Jarhead* said:
Sheryl:  In your trek to find the elusive Ha, make sure along the way, you p/up as much Wheat Bread as possible.  (Must cover all contingencies at that stage of the game.) 8)

Mad Maxine trashes the bombed out 7-11 searching for radioactive Wheatberry. :LOL: :LOL:

Nords said:
It's not the snipping.

Nords:  The area that I used to live in had about a 50% black population.

Most of the guys in the large corp. I worked for at the time, used a black doctor for this procedure.  He had a well deserved reputation for being fast, competent, and funny. ;)

He would only accept cash, (when the appt. gal set this up, she let you know this).

According to him, the "procedure" was the main reason he was able to keep the clinic going.
(He did an average of about 4 a day).

According to him, 90% or so were white, and jokingly (maybe), it was a labor of love. ;)

Back
Top Bottom