Semi-retirement at 33?

Hmmm

I thought now a days you could have it done with an on/off valve installed. Or is that an urban myth.

heh heh heh

They have some valve thingy that can be opened and closed magnetically. I dont think it works so well though, last I heard sometimes it wouldnt open or would open when you didnt want to.

Swell...I walk through a metal detector and Gabe ends up with a sibling...

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Remember all that funny stuff about how everything a man does is to get laid? Its true. Theres not much point to it if you're "non functional". ;)

Of the thousands of stupid silly things I've seen you post here, this ranks right up there with the worst best.

Shooting blanks for a guy is what the pill is for a woman. No change to the fun, just no risk of paternity. There is still lots of "point" to it. :D

It takes a real man to step up and do the right thing when the time comes. You are still a little young, but when the time comes (no pun intended) your DW will probably offer lots of encouragement (honey, I have a headache) for you to get fixed make the world safe for democracy. :LOL:

Heather said:
You've heard the term "Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"
The answer to that question has always been "It's not the airplane-- it's the pilot, the crew, and the air-traffic controllers that got us into this mess!"

Remember all that funny stuff about how everything a man does is to get laid?  Its true.  Theres not much point to it if you're "non functional". ;)
Geez, are you chronically sleep-deprived by a toddler, or being seduced out of what little brainpower/willpower remains for a bigger family?

It's about recreation, not procreation-- fertility functionality is irrelevant!

Oh I can tell which two guys already said "yes" to the 'snip poll'.

Scientifically proven that men are primarily genetically driven to spread their seed.

Besides, I've seen the way the male cat and male dog look at me... ;)

Scientifically proven that men are primarily genetically driven to spread their seed.

This from Mr. Free Will, master of your own destiny?

Remember all that funny stuff about how everything a man does is to get laid?  Its true.  Theres not much point to it if you're "non functional". ;)

It just never ends with kids!

Your dad probably figures his heavy lifting with you is over, and now he's going to have to sit down with you and explain how this works. ;)

Sheryl said:
Thank you for that Ha.  If I am the last woman on earth, I'll come looking for you.   ;)

You're in luck Sheryl, it's only 50 miles. Might as well swipe that breadtruck-it might be a busy weekend. ;)

Ha

Oh I have no doubt what part of me runs the show. At least for most of my life up until now.
;)

Then it is time for the vasectomy. ;)

Well, its academic. The wife is still pestering me for a second baby, and I havent decided yet whether I'm done with it. When I do, I may get "snipped". Ick. Just typing it gives me the creeps.

Old joke, but still funny. :LOL:

A tourist observes the castration of a camel.

The "operation" proceeds with the owner squashing the camels testicles with two bricks.

"Doesn't that hurt," said the tourist?

"Only if you get your thumbs caught." :D

I think if it is something you and your wife really want to do, you should just do it. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. This is YOUR life. You have to make yourselves happy. My husband and I would love to retire early. We have our own little plan for how we plan to accomplish this, and we too have decided not to have children. We are avid outdoors people and want to be able to spend time doing the things we love while we still can. Why backpack the Hayduke trail at 60 if I can do it at 35 or 40? The point is, if you have the money, and you both want to do it, stop questioning yourself and go for it. You only live once. Why not enjoy your life now? I know the last time I spoke with my grandfather he told me to enjoy life now, not to wait until I was his age and had to see everything from inside a car becuase I wasn't in the shape to make a 5 mile hike anymore. I know this all sounds very cliche, but it is so true. I only wish my husband and I were in the position you are in now. Even with our plan, it will probably still be 10-15 (he's 33, I'm 24) years from now before we will even be able to think about doing this. Good luck and Carpe Diem!

Newanda (see Dead Poet's Society)

i havent read much but the first few posts of this thread, but...

i say go for it. you seem to have made up your mind and are looking for re-assurance...so...here it is: GO FOR IT

you're 33, could be debt free, and must be smart enough to get through some rough times if need be. hopefully the need wont arise, but if they do...you could make it through im sure

good luck

oops....sorry for reviving this one

can the OP give us an update?

I am not sure exactly how it works in canada... but it sounds like you canucks have the health care angle covered. That would beone of my concerns.

Bottom line, DW and I have been planning on RE @ 55 for a long time. We are still targeting that age. DW may RE earlier (not sure).

Anyway, once we get Health Care benes covered... we can RE. But, we are 25 years older than you.

IMHO - I would probably work longer. If you have your act together, you can probably target 40's and pull it off for good. It appears to me that to do so, you need to focus on maximizing your earnings in the next 10 years and invest appropriately.

Bottom line, one or both of you are likely to live till 90's. Supporting yourselves for 60 years takes money. Work now while you are able and feel able. Let's assume that you are healthy and able to work until 65, the only question is whether or not you need to work. You will be much less motivated at 50 than 30. Work and save now. Target Full Retirement later.

I am not sure exactly how it works in canada... but it sounds like you canucks have the health care angle covered. That would beone of my concerns.
quote]

Affordable health care is not much of a concern up here. There was a time when I was between jobs and DH was doing consulting work where we had to get private healthcare coverage. It cost us $200/month for family coverage (DH was 33 and I was 31) and included 80% prescription coverage, dental and vision care. It does go up as you get older but it still wouldn't cost as much as it does in the States.

And doctors' care and hospitalization can be had for $100/mo per family. Usually no extra charges. Certain procedures cost extra. Medicare insurance covers basic things and older technology. If you want the latest, you can pay extra.

BTW usually the dental, vision, drugs plans have an annual deductible and copay. There are limits such as new glasses/contacts every two years based on needed prescription changes.

So you need to budget for the extras/copays.

Nova Scotia, pretty in the Summer but the people can be pretty unfriendly to outsiders.

Generalizations and stereotypes are dangerous; certainly, they are always subject to exceptions. That said, my own experience suggests there is some truth to the above comment. Even after you've lived there for 20 years, you will still be an "Upper Canadian" to the locals.

My wife can also apply for a 1-year Leave of Absence from her job, renewable for up to 5 years. It basically means that she is guaranteed a job at the same salary if she comes back. Therefore, if things really didn’t work out in NS we simply move back to Ottawa, she gets her job back, and I start looking for work.

I think this 'insurance' makes all the difference. Knowing that you have that security in your hip pocket certainly minimizes the risk.

Friends? Does it sound weird to say we don't really have any friends? We have some acquaintances and we have people we work with, but no friends. We don't go out Friday night to the bars with a bunch of people. We drive to our little cottage (where I am at now) and spend the weekend hiding from the world. I had some friends in University, but slowly everyone moved away or lost touch. The one person I considered my best friend basically stopped talking to me when I started making twice what he made.

Whatever works for you. However, numerous studies have shown that a support network of friends is usually a key ingredient to mental health and happiness in retirement. See generally A Network of Friends Crucial for Happiness - after retirement - Brief Article USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) - Find Articles. My free advice is to develop some hobbies, join a church or community group, get active with your university alumni association, etc.: anything that will bring you into frequent contact with congenial other people and nuture possible friendships.

A Question for you: how did your (former) best friend learn how much money you were making?

Well, its academic. The wife is still pestering me for a second baby, and I havent decided yet whether I'm done with it. When I do, I may get "snipped". Ick. Just typing it gives me the creeps.

There's always going back to wearing "The Connie" full time. I think the snip might be a better choice.

If I may summarize:

Eric,

Get a vasectomy and move to Nova Scotia. And take some time off to work on your asterisk problem. :)

My brother got snipped, and said it was painless, and needless to say he LOVES it now. All the sex the wife will give him with no condoms, no birth-control, and no worries.

My wife has horrible horrible periods though (painful for her), so fixing her may be better for her in the longterm

My brother got snipped, and said it was painless, and needless to say he LOVES it now. All the sex the wife will give him with no condoms, no birth-control, and no worries.

My wife has horrible horrible periods though (painful for her), so fixing her may be better for her in the longterm

A tubal will have no effect on her periods; an ablation or hysterectomy might.

Back
Top Bottom