Stay in school! I mean it!

As I've said before, if we are to survive financially we need to turn into a nation of business owners (stock owners will do for this assumption).  I don't have stats to refute what moghopper stated and have no reason to disbelieve them, but the number of college participants went from 32% to 53% roughly and the pay for college grads went up roughly 20-34%.  All I see is a bunch of people who are making it to the ownership level.

I'll bet, can't say for sure, that the majority of the 21% increase in college participants came from the lower and middle class.  So the assumption I hear, often from a certain segment of society, that the middle class is being replaced by the lower class, I believe is bunk.

Edited to add:
The minimum wage is nothing more than welfare by business. We just had the minimum wage increased in Florida. Many of the people I work with, who voted for it, are now complaining because the cost of goods went up. It's funny to heard them complain. They say," I didn't receive a pay raise why should I have to pay more." DOH!!!! You bonehead you have to pay more because a single mother can't raise four kids on minimum wage as it was. Guess what she can't do it now either, because the cost of everything just went up more than the cost of the pay increase (Gotta pay them Social Security taxes).

Cut-Throat said:
Having a college degree or more is certainly mandatory in today's job market. However, it does not guarantee a good job, like it did 30 years ago.

Just ask the 3 waitresses at my coffee shop that have masters degrees. They are currently going to nursing school. Hoping to get that 'Sweet third shift' that pays about $30K-$40K per year!

The middle class of the U.S. is becoming extinct. Look for us to become at lot like Latin America. A very, very few very.very rich and Lots of Poor Folk!

CT
That may be true in certain fields, but the accounting, civil engineering, structural engineering, mechanical engineering, hvac engineering and even business degrees are all still door openers to a middle class income. Problem comes with degrees in fields not in high demand.
Uncledrz

Back
Top Bottom