Sunday night blues

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So here I am, procrastinating on getting into bed, dreading Monday. This time is especially hard since I took last week off as a "stay-cation" to install laundry room cabinets, do some landscaping, install child locks, clean out the garage and assemble workshop, re-stain and re-finish play structure, etc. etc. so I feel out of the work mode even more.

When I was in grade school, I used to get this same feeling Sunday night. High school was a blast and college showed me that high school was just a primer. I thought that feeling had gone away. Over the last 10 years it's crept slowly back and is now fully returned.

9 years, 9 months to no mortgage

21 years, 1 month to go to FIRE

Anybody else get the dread feeling Sunday night?

My work week starts Thursday night, but I hate getting there just as much.

So here I am, procrastinating on getting into bed, dreading Monday. This time is especially hard since I took last week off as a "stay-cation" to install laundry room cabinets, do some landscaping, install child locks, clean out the garage and assemble workshop, re-stain and re-finish play structure, etc. etc. so I feel out of the work mode even more.
I don't think you're gonna have any problems with the work-to-ER transition...

I'm afraid to ask, but exactly what part of your child did you lock up?

Only if I didn't have weekend duty.

Saturday duty wasn't much fun but nothing sucked worse than going from Sunday duty to Monday of the workweek. And if you were getting underway 10 AM Monday then you were pretty much guaranteed to be spending all night Sunday partying it up in the engineroom... right before you assumed the morning watch.

Yep, every Sunday night I have to tell my wife "I don't want to go to work tomorrow." It's sort of like a tradition now. Sometimes, she will know what I'm going to say and say it for me.

14.5 years to FIRE.

Yep, I get that same feeling:(

It's especially bad when the "politics" at work are what are dragging you down, not the actual work itself.

What - me worry?

No - not at all (I'm retired :rolleyes: )...

Sorry - I could not resist.

- Ron

Yup, I experience "Monday Eve" syndrome.

Oh yeah - I get the Sunday Night Blues big time, every week.

My only cure is probably 7 years away ...

We just put the childlocks on the doors to the poisonous stuff. All the other stuff that was breakable [and we wanted] we just put higher up than the stuff that was breakable [that we didn't want]. That sure made accepting gifts that we hated much more bearable, and we could blame the kids if the gifter didn't see it the next time they came over. My uncle gave us some "child china" from Tiffany's [really ugly]. So my son got to use it for dinner one night, and blamo, broken.

That also cuts down on the # of pictures my wife placed around the house. Seriously, how many pictures of us do we need? Hey look, it's us three, six, 9, 12, 18, 24, and 28 months ago!! WEEEEE!!!

Work is a nice break from a weekend with the fam + kids [for a day or two], and then the weekend with the fam + kids is a nice break from work [until Sunday morning.]

We keep child proofing the house, but somehow he keeps getting back in.
"My parents moved a lot when I was a kid, but I always found them."

-- Was that Henny Youngman or Rodney Dangerfield?

Now that Sunday night is over, can we trot out the ER version of the Sunday night blues?

"Thank God it's Monday!"

Man this Monday has hit me straight in the face. Anybody thinking of un-retiring due to the down market can PM me and I'll set you straight.

My Monday has been awesome so far. They announced last week that they were stopping certain large programs so they could 'refocus'. I said that meant that another round of layoffs were coming. Announcement today is that, indeed, there are more layoffs coming by the end of the month. We haven't even severed people that were layed off last month.

I'd leave now, but I'm getting $30k if I stick around until November 1st (retention bonus to make sure some of us wouldn't bolt when they started this whole process in January). Even though they soured the severance package, I still am going to try and negotiate something.

This is going to be tricky. I need to come across as liking my job but also wanting to do the best for the company. No sense getting fired before I get the money. So, I'm going to see if I can propose that I get the money early and take the layoff package in exchange for helping to save money. I just started a critical project (the CEO promised it, never mind that we've shelved the project three times in the last two years), so I'm hoping I can negotiate departure around completion of that project.

I have only 61 Mondays left to work, after subtracting those that are Federal holidays.

Some of those 61 will probably be during vacation times, so I really have fewer than 61 more to go.

If each Monday is a 9-hour day, then I have fewer than 549 more hours of Monday left to work. That would be only 32,940 minutes of Monday left. :(

Monday, Monday
Can't trust that day
Monday, Monday
Sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh, Monday morning you gave me no warning
Of what was to be
Oh, Monday, Monday
How could you leave and not take me

Every other day
Every other day
Every other day of the week is fine (fine), yeah
But whenever Monday comes
But whenever Monday comes
You can find me crying all of the time
(Part of that old song by the Mamas and the Papas, obviously.)

Seems that I recall some stats that showed the most heart attacks occur on Sunday night and Monday morning due to the dread.

I remember only too well. Only I used to start feeling lousy
Sunday AM. Man, am I glad that's over with.

It's actually a little worse for me. I start feeling the dread on Sunday morning unless I have something planned during the day then it feels ok. Sunday evening sometimes feels like I'm waiting for my execution the next morning! The funny part is that my job isn't too bad. It can be high stress at times, but most of the times it isn't too bad. I have a couple of toxic coworkers but also have some that I really enjoy working with.

The first Monday I didn't dread was the first Monday after I retired. And now I have trouble remembering what day of the week it is.

Hang in there.. maybe you can make some changes so you can ER sooner?

Now that Sunday night is over, can we trot out the ER version of the Sunday night blues?

"Thank God it's Monday!"

So yesterday was Sunday? I guess that explains why there were so dang many people out at the normally unused state park just outside of town! And if yesterday was Sunday, then this is Monday......OK, I've got my bearings again! Of course, I'll probably lose them in the next day or two, and I'll be back to having absolutely no clue what day it is. :D

I guess I could get one those "Day Clocks" to keep me up to date, but if I don't know what day it is it really doesn't matter 'cause I really don't care!

The only Sunday night blues around my house are on Sirius satellite radio channel 74......but I prefer the Jazz Cafe (ch 71) and Pure Jazz (ch 72). ;)

In ER, every day is a GREAT day!
party-smiley-018.gif

But to answer the OP seriously.....yeah, back in my previous life (the one where I was employed) I certainly didn't relish going back to work on Mondays. It was actually worse for the first 15 years or so (different [-]jerk in charge[/-] boss back then and worse job classification) than it was for the last 15 (better bosses (mostly) and much better job class...and higher pay).

Last edited:
Man, I don't think all these "yeah I remember how mad Sunday night was" and "sure glad I'm retired" and "only 12 Sundays left" are making Laurence feel a whole lot better ;).

Laurence, you are too young to let this kind of stuff ruin you life. Sounds like a tough time at work these days for you.

One day at a time, focus on the tasks at hand, emotionally distance yourself a bit from the severe idiots, and plow ahead. It's like the market, cyclical. Spend a little extra time with your hobbies or family, take an early vacation whatever. But letting it get to you too much for the next 20 years will eat you alive. If you feel that happening, may be time for a discrete hunt for a new job.

Most of us have been through it, and it does wax and wane, so hang in.

Back
Top Bottom