Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
To find the true sweet spot for salary versus crap you need to normalize the salary by the number of crap incidents per week.

when you do that you'll find the peak in the curve at which salary you can maximize dollars while minimizing crap incidents.

Mathematically, to find the sweet spot take the (1st) derivative of the crap-salary distribution. Then check all small values of this computed function at the original crap-salary distribution. The largest normalized salary-crap point indicated by a nominaly low (1st) derivative is then your optimal operating goal.

Good luck Big-Nick....

This tape will now self destruct in 10 seconds.....
Sounds like a typical engineering analysis that assumes that incoming crap is deterministic and not stochastic. You have to do a monte carlo analysis of the probability of excessive crap occurring within the key time period. You then have to do a leveraged functional root cause analysis to determine if you can shift the crap elsewhere when it arrives.

Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post

I was sort of disappointed, but then I got to thinking. If I'd got the gig, I'd be making about 10% more money than I do now, and right now, I save 35% of my salary anyway. It would mean running a department of 70 people, all of whom would want something from me, and many of whom I know have frustrating, unfixable work or personal issues. I reckoned that for 10% less, with my current team of 14 people, I should be pretty happy.
Reminds me of this Garrison Keillor quote,

"Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known".

gettingthere is online now   Reply With Quote