Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
I sincerely appreciate everyone's responses.

The realtor showed us the house tonight. Interesting place. Gorgeous lake, in great condition on the outside but some parts of the house inside need serious updating. It would cost us some money to make it look the way we want. Probably 800-850k all in. I think the market will continue to improve here - would likely be a million dollar home in a few years but we will leave that to someone else.

Wife and I made the decision afterward to stop looking for at least a year or so. We will get the youngest off to college in the fall and see how life is with just the two of us in our current place before considering a change. Maybe spend a little more on the place we have Now but it actually doesn't need much at all. Will focus on saving money and doing stuff.

Very happy tonight thinking about my $1400 mortgage instead of ~$4000 and $2800 in property taxes instead of $9 or $10k.
__________________

__________________
CorporateSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,019
Good decision. Now stay away from house porn!
__________________

__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,213
At least $37k per year more to either enjoy life or put towards financial independence, sounds like a good plan.

Future you will thank you I think
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
When I bought in 2000, my CU said I qualified for a $250k home. Not no, but hell no...

Bought my little shack for $113k, and after three refinances, got a 3.75%, 30-yr. fixed, with a PITI of $700/mo.

Fast forward, my CU went into receivership, because they thought they were real estate experts... Meanwhile, I I was laid off in 2008, took a significant pay cut, and can still comfortably afford my payments. Where would I be if I'd doubled my cost...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Where would I be if I'd doubled my cost...
In an RV boondocking in a NM state park, having the time of your life?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In an RV boondocking in a NM state park, having the time of your life?
More likely living under a bridge somewhere...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,438
You need to read more RV blogs like I have to see that one must be really dumb or unfortunate to be living under a bridge. A reasonable person should be able to drive off into the sunset with a decent used RV when faced with financial troubles.

While I do not intend to lose what I have now in terms of assets, reading how other people live, in comfort and a low-cost lifestyle mind you, takes away all the fear I had about financial calamities.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You need to read more RV blogs like I have to see that one must be really dumb or unfortunate to be living under a bridge. A reasonable person should be able to drive off into the sunset with a decent used RV when faced with financial troubles.

While I do not intend to lose what I have now in terms of assets, reading how other people live, in comfort and a low-cost lifestyle mind you, takes away all the fear I had about financial calamities.
Thank you, I think...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I have looked at many happiness studies over the years, and I have never seen a big house listed on what really makes people happy.
I can see a larger house, up to a certain point at least, making me happier. But that's because I have two roommates, and sometimes I feel like we're crowded on top of each other. So a larger house would definitely ease some tensions. Not a mammoth-sized house necessarily, but bigger than what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I like the idea of having to get rid of half our stuff. It is making me dwindle my possessions down to the things I use, wear and enjoy the most. Today's event is taking bags and bags of stuff to Goodwill. They can make money to help the less fortunate and I can improve my Feng Shui. Win - win.
I did a bit of housecleaning on Sunday, and got rid of some old stuff I didn't need anymore. Man, it was a great feeling! It barely made a dent in the overall pile, but you have to start somewhere!
__________________
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Thank you, I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You need to read more RV blogs like I have to see that one must be really dumb or unfortunate to be living under a bridge...
Heh, see the other adjective I used above. One may have other problems such as high medical expenses. But seeing how resourceful other people are in their alternate lifestyles was really eye-opening for me.

In a similar vein, I used to work at a secure but boring job at megacorps until I decided to strike out on my own with a couple of ventures. Then, when we ran into difficulties, I read about how much of the population being independent, small business owners, etc..., meaning people who were not working at secure jobs with the Fed or state gummint, or big megacorps with pension. All those people manage to survive somehow.

That encouraged me to stay independent as a contractor and freelancer, and to learn to manage my finances better. The end result is that I still managed to ER, while working part-time for more than 10 years with wife already retired and still putting kids through college without loans.

The point is when I was locked into a megacorp life and a secure job, I was complacent and did not develop the survival skills that I could.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
While I do not intend to lose what I have now in terms of assets, reading how other people live, in comfort and a low-cost lifestyle mind you, takes away all the fear I had about financial calamities.
I don't read RV blogs so much, but I do try to study the blogs and forum posts from people who seem to live pretty happy, carefree lives on low cost lifestyles. It has been an eye opener how well some people live without spending a lot. It has really helped us to lower our financial overhead.
__________________
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't read RV blogs so much, but I do try to study the blogs and forum posts from people who seem to live pretty happy, carefree lives on low cost lifestyles. It has been an eye opener how well some people live without spending a lot. It has really helped us to lower our financial overhead.
If you don't mind sharing, what are the biggest cuts you've made that you don't miss?
__________________
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Heh, see the other adjective I used above. One may have other problems such as high medical expenses. But seeing how resourceful other people are in their alternate lifestyles was really eye-opening for me.

In a similar vein, I used to work at a secure but boring job at megacorps until I decided to strike out on my own with a couple of ventures. Then, when we ran into difficulties, I read about how much of the population being independent, small business owners, etc..., meaning people who were not working at secure jobs with the Fed or state gummint, or big megacorps with pension. All those people manage to survive somehow.

That encouraged me to stay independent as a contractor and freelancer, and to learn to manage my finances better. The end result is that I still managed to ER, while working part-time for more than 10 years with wife already retired and still putting kids through college without loans.

The point is when I was locked into a megacorp life and a secure job, I was complacent and did not develop the survival skills that I could.
I'm quite adaptable, thank you.

A bit humor impaired?

My initial post was pointing out how a financial institution tried to get me to buy way more house than I needed, wanted, or was comfortable with financially. I was smart enough to say "no"...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,201
I see you decided not to decide, which is some kind of decision, I guess.

Be sure and check back in and tell us if you can actually stay away from the MLS for the entire 12 months.
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.
CaliforniaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...
The point is when I was locked into a megacorp life and a secure job, I was complacent and did not develop the survival skills that I could.
+1
And in reality in most case the job is really less secure than you are lead to believe. I always felt that being in independent contractor / consultant was a much more secure way to live than working at megacorp or minicorp. Because out of necessity I had to learn how to survive, how to get new work, how to be interviewed, how to promote myself, how to plan my income and expenses. And indeed I saw that once some of my megacorp friends were laid off, they were in a kind of panic. For one thing they really needed that monthly check, and for another megacorp teaches you a mentality of dependence. For me looking for a new job was just part of the business, so it was less traumatic when something ended, because something new and even more interesting was around the corner. Many times I think the most important survival skill one needs to have is just a positive outlook on life.
__________________
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.
CaliforniaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm quite adaptable, thank you.

A bit humor impaired?
I did not think we were offending each other at all. But I was trying to be sensitive to other people who could be truly at the end of their rope.

Not to deviate too far from this thread (which is about to close out now that the OP has decided not to upgrade), I recently stumbled across the blog of a gal who lives out of her car by choice. She does not really want to work, or rather works very little, saying that she would rather be out in nature, in her car in the forest by herself.

Interesting people I have read accounts of...
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not to deviate too far from this thread (which is about to close out now that the OP has decided not to upgrade), I recently stumbled across the blog of a gal who lives out of her car by choice. She does not really want to work, or rather works very little, saying that she would rather be out in nature, in her car in the forest by herself.
That actually sounds like it could be fun, in small doses. Back in college, in 1992, I had this pipe dream about spending the summer in California. I was going to take my time getting out there, about two weeks, rent a room in someplace cheap like Barstow or Victorville, and work at a May Company store. I worked for a sister store, Hecht's, at the time, and probably could have done a temporary transfer. They're all Macy's now, I think.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to just take my time getting out there, just sleeping in the car wherever I chose. And then, do the same on the way home, take about two weeks, and go as I please, living out of the car.

Never happened. And I don't know if I'd want to do it now. Plus, with all the vagrancy laws and such, I'd probably get in trouble somewhere along the line. And, at the time I was driving a '68 Dart with about 255,000 miles on it, so there's a good chance it could have broken down at some inopportune moment.
__________________
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not think we were offending each other at all. But I was trying to be sensitive to other people who could be truly at the end of their rope.

Not to deviate too far from this thread (which is about to close out now that the OP has decided not to upgrade), I recently stumbled across the blog of a gal who lives out of her car by choice. She does not really want to work, or rather works very little, saying that she would rather be out in nature, in her car in the forest by herself.

Interesting people I have read accounts of...
I would imagine that if she is sane at all, she is barely sane. A friend of mine lived in his Volvo wagon for a year, and though he is a very buttoned up and outdoor experienced guy it was basically a pretty awful experience.

I suppose a woman might find it harder or easier, depending on her attitudes and how things broke.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A reasonable person should be able to drive off into the sunset with a decent used RV when faced with financial troubles.
About 1/2 the oilfield workers these days are living out of RVs and small campers in states like North and South Dakota and south Texas. See, there is a use for the RVs beside rich guys owning them!
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,914
There is a huge housing shortage in ND & SD.
__________________

__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To buy a house, or not to buy a house Klubbie Young Dreamers 27 02-21-2011 08:44 AM
Tell me everything or tell me nothing Rich_by_the_Bay Health and Early Retirement 60 07-22-2009 12:11 AM
Recession over? Buy, buy, buy? NW-Bound FIRE and Money 42 05-27-2009 05:53 PM
Finally feel bad about not having a bigger house novaman Other topics 33 02-19-2008 09:37 AM
Buy House Now w/Low Down or Save Bigger Down? BigMoneyJim Young Dreamers 11 07-14-2004 05:23 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.