Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a single specific time; more like an exponential curve that just recently went off the chart.

We've always saved first and spent second but, about 20 yrs ago I started meticulously tracking our savings and portfolio; frankly, a little later in life than optimum. Then, in 2006, plotted what our NW needed to be each year for us to be FI by the end of 2012; 2008 was a big step back but, we caught up by slamming a lot of $$$ into our after tax account to make up for the lower returns. And today...we're there!

However, the accelerator was taking a new job two years ago; absolutely hate it. Then a death in the family. So, the combination of the job, being FI, feeling my mortality, and just being tired of working has done it for me. As the saying goes, my FI & BS buckets are now full...time to go.

via McTube for iPhone/iPad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me, 20 some years ago...I went through my first reorganization. I can feel the moments of desperation and anxiety even to this day. That was my defining moment. I decided that if I ever got through that predicament I would start saving more as a buffer from being on the streets and having to start over again. That feeling is what keeps me going. I realized I wanted to have more control of my life in spite of my job. I stumbled across this site several years later, and it gave me the reinforcement I needed about my attitude about working vs retirement/freedom. (I thought I was mostly alone). I think of myself as the turtle...in the race against the rabbit. I have just been chugging along and saving...with all the ups and downs going on around me. In 10 months I will never have to work again for money. Incidently, my wife is a better saver than me, which helps make it all work out!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tripping over the Threshold

In 2005, just before I turned 50, I started getting more into our investments, looking at our prospective pensions, our various IRA and 401/457/403 holdings, SS projections, and prospective retiree HI. I also started reading a bunch of investment books. I found Daniel Solin's books pretty simple and easy to understand.

Based on what I was seeing at the time and on what our projected earnings and savings would be, I thought that we would be able to retire in 2011. DH had no interest in retiring at all, and he was not entirely on board with what I was doing, but I was a woman on a mission and planned and behaved accordingly.

Thank goodness for that.

Less than 3 years later, in 2008, DH lost his j*b of over 29 years. He was PIP'd, demoted, and then RIF'd. It was a 4 month process, and it was horrible.

After 4 months off, he got a new j*b in his field, and 3 weeks later I lost MY j*b with a bank. No, 2008 was not a great year for many folks.

Then in mid-2009, DH lost the new j*b. Management changes.

He came home that day, and we looked at each other and said, "WTH?"

For 4 years we have looked for w*rk in our fields, out of our fields, all but out IN the fields. We were a bit disoriented. We were those discouraged w*rkers but kept looking through last year.

All the while, I kept running Schwab's calculators, doing my spreadsheets, showing projected cash flow and how what I'd planned met with what we were actually doing. It has all been pretty rudimentary, but it works for us.

Last year, I found this site and learned even more. All of you have educated me immeasurably.

I would say the threshold for us was this year, 2013, when we finally felt we had enough data behind us to say, "No, we don't need no stinkin' j*bs" and "Yes, we are retired."

That feels great.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
In 2005, just before I turned 50, I started getting more into our investments, looking at our prospective pensions, our various IRA and 401/457/403 holdings, SS projections, and prospective retiree HI. I also started reading a bunch of investment books. I found Daniel Solin's books pretty simple and easy to understand.

Based on what I was seeing at the time and on what our projected earnings and savings would be, I thought that we would be able to retire in 2011. DH had no interest in retiring at all, and he was not entirely on board with what I was doing, but I was a woman on a mission and planned and behaved accordingly.

Thank goodness for that.

Less than 3 years later, in 2008, DH lost his j*b of over 29 years. He was PIP'd, demoted, and then RIF'd. It was a 4 month process, and it was horrible.

After 4 months off, he got a new j*b in his field, and 3 weeks later I lost MY j*b with a bank. No, 2008 was not a great year for many folks.

Then in mid-2009, DH lost the new j*b. Management changes.

He came home that day, and we looked at each other and said, "WTH?"

For 4 years we have looked for w*rk in our fields, out of our fields, all but out IN the fields. We were a bit disoriented. We were those discouraged w*rkers but kept looking through last year.

All the while, I kept running Schwab's calculators, doing my spreadsheets, showing projected cash flow and how what I'd planned met with what we were actually doing. It has all been pretty rudimentary, but it works for us.

Last year, I found this site and learned even more. All of you have educated me immeasurably.

I would say the threshold for us was this year, 2013, when we finally felt we had enough data behind us to say, "No, we don't need no stinkin' j*bs" and "Yes, we are retired."

That feels great.
+1 Accidental retiree! I am single but have had basically the same experience. Looking for a job after losing mine through reorganization at age 56 in 2010. Waking up and taking a look at my retirement savings in a whole new light. Reading books on early retirement and realizing, slowly over two years, that I wouldn't have to work for MegaCorp again if I changed my lifestyle.
I think my threshold year would have been early 2012. I sold my condo in San Francisco and started renting in the east bay. I realized that I was looking for a job basically just to cover the mortgage. If I was willing to give up the condo (or any other place), I was free from having to work. Not that I was very successful in finding a new job. Or that I ever wanted to work in corporate America again anyway.
So it was a fairly slow, enlightening process for me: "Can I really retire??" The answer was yes!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Another time happened: I was part of interviewing someone twenty years my senior, where they would be taking a job for half of what they previously made three years ago. I never want to be on the other side of that table
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Why don't you call out these "Megacorps". Names would be nice, or are you trying to protect the "innocent".
It was the custom and practice when I got here to call them Megacorps. Trying to protect poor little innocent me from some imaginary calamity, I suppose. It does not matter who we used to work for anyway.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
+1.

Sometimes I think at least part of this could be instinct. One Christmas my 5yr old niece said she was returning a beloved gift she received. Why we asked. With a condescending "stupid Aunt & Uncle" look on her face she told us she could get a better price on it at after-Christmas sales AND could apply a coupon. Then she would have her gift AND extra $$. She grew up to become a CPA
They start so young these days. Never would have figured she would become a CPA.

T-bird
14 days and counting