Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your 'bare minimum' FU Money to walk out of your miserable job?
$25,000 - $50,000 7 7.29%
$51,000 - $100,000 2 2.08%
$101,000 - $200,000 6 6.25%
$201,000 - $300,000 4 4.17%
$301,000 - $500,000 7 7.29%
$501,000 - $750,000 27 28.13%
Others 43 44.79%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 364
So you got F U Money, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately because my division of MegaCorp has re-orged and it is going very badly. My bosses' boss left the company pretty much as soon as he found out the general outline of the re-org. My direct boss transferred to another department about a month into it.

Just about everyone is at a loss as to how this is ever going to work, and I'm expecting the exodus of people to start pretty soon. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode, but I don't see a path to a functional organization with the current leadership in charge.

I keep thinking about the adage that you want to be the first person off the sinking ship, not the last.

Time to get that resume up to date and start reaching out to my contacts at other companies.
__________________

__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest (Not Quite The Boondocks)
Posts: 64
I'm a small business owner, so my F U Money would be a bit different than y'all. I'd be saying F U to my customers I guess? LoL

My Total NW Including Real Estate is just north of $2.3M.

I'm only 31 ... So, for me to give the business the true F U prior to 35, I'd need to be at or north of about $5M. I don't see myself getting there prior to 35 unless the markets are like nothing we've ever seen before Until that day, I'll continue to keep plugging along.
__________________

__________________
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately because my division of MegaCorp has re-orged and it is going very badly. My bosses' boss left the company pretty much as soon as he found out the general outline of the re-org. My direct boss transferred to another department about a month into it.

Just about everyone is at a loss as to how this is ever going to work, and I'm expecting the exodus of people to start pretty soon. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode, but I don't see a path to a functional organization with the current leadership in charge.

I keep thinking about the adage that you want to be the first person off the sinking ship, not the last.

Time to get that resume up to date and start reaching out to my contacts at other companies.
I'm living the same scenario right now, something like your boss' boss who left ASAP. I'm 50 and a VP in a field that has always had huge demand and small supply for what I do. The flip side of that is, most job vacancies in my field (a form of sales) suffer from wildly unrealistic expectations and are to be avoided. My organization is led by someone who is in way over his head and is spinning around making decisions, barking orders and retracting his bad decisions trying to survive. It's not pretty. Our antiquated systems are a joke and now our finances have descended into Full Blown Cluster. I started putting oars in the water the day in August when I was handed a 70% one year sales growth goal for my 18 person team with no new resources. Since then I've been in three searches and just closed today on my next opportunity. I'm definitely hopping to the next lilly pad, thank God. Like your boss' boss, I have learned in these times of severe change in an organization to do it to organizations before they do it to you, and while you can still talk about recent successes rather than failures in the next interviews, if you possibly can. Good luck to you Hamlet!
__________________
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 364
Good Luck to you Hamlet & Markola. I'm pretty sure you guys have some F U Money Just do it, when you no longer can stand the craziness.
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
So you got F U Money, right ?
Well, I'm not FIRE yet. I figure I am about 7-12 years out (young kids are expensive ). So I'm in good shape, but I don't really want to become unemployed for any length of time, as it would impact my FIRE plans.

Two more people left this week, but they weren't people that impact my area at all. I think everyone on my team has made it pretty clear to management that they've left us with too few people to effectively do the day-to-day work without stuff dropping.

I met with a boss from a previous company this week, and he gave me the layout of what's available in the old company. He's in charge of a different area now, and he'd hire me, but the work would be lower level and there would be a pretty ugly commute. So I probably won't go that route unless things get really bad.

The real crisis will come if we lose a couple more people who do work in my area. With the turnover we've already had, our institutional knowledge is at a dangerously low level. We're all sort of feeling each other out with the "if you're leaving, I'm leaving" vibe.
__________________
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 364
Yeah, with young kids, you gotta tough it out for years if you can hold on for as long as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Well, I'm not FIRE yet. I figure I am about 7-12 years out (young kids are expensive ). So I'm in good shape, but I don't really want to become unemployed for any length of time, as it would impact my FIRE plans.

Two more people left this week, but they weren't people that impact my area at all. I think everyone on my team has made it pretty clear to management that they've left us with too few people to effectively do the day-to-day work without stuff dropping.

I met with a boss from a previous company this week, and he gave me the layout of what's available in the old company. He's in charge of a different area now, and he'd hire me, but the work would be lower level and there would be a pretty ugly commute. So I probably won't go that route unless things get really bad.

The real crisis will come if we lose a couple more people who do work in my area. With the turnover we've already had, our institutional knowledge is at a dangerously low level. We're all sort of feeling each other out with the "if you're leaving, I'm leaving" vibe.
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Yeah, with young kids, you gotta tough it out for years if you can hold on for as long as you can.
On the plus side, the local job market is good. I wouldn't have difficulty finding other work. Of course, most big companies are pretty dysfunctional these days. Ironically, most of my newer coworkers came here because another local employer started doing pretty much the same reorg. They are unenthused to say the least.

Our industry appears to be caught in the management fad of 'Agile Scrum'. It was designed for software development, but now everyone is trying to do it everywhere. Frankly, it seems like a questionable system even for software, but in my area it just seems idiotic.
__________________
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 364
Hey Hamlet. Been awhile visiting this thread. Yea, I hate the Agile Scrum, when misused. Agile Scrum is suppose to be effective if 'everyone involved ' is fully involved. Our management team is doing Agile Scrum without involving the people that matters. They rush to push their ideas, (thinking that's the way to be agile) without consulting the rest of the industry and experts, and boom they have an idiotic idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Our industry appears to be caught in the management fad of 'Agile Scrum'. It was designed for software development, but now everyone is trying to do it everywhere. Frankly, it seems like a questionable system even for software, but in my area it just seems idiotic.
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 364
Update: So i resigned from my job with a FU money of nearly $700K without another job on hand last August. Late last month, I got hired and signed a new contract with a new employer. New job pays 15% less, but when i was planning to quit my previous job, I learned to cut my expenses by about 15% -20%. I will be starting soon.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Update: So i resigned from my job with a FU money of nearly $700K without another job on hand last August. Late last month, I got hired and signed a new contract with a new employer. New job pays 15% less, but when i was planning to quit my previous job, I learned to cut my expenses by about 15% -20%. I will be starting soon.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

And you are starting the job the FU money!


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 364
Yeah starting soon


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do You Include the amount of your Nest Egg in your estimated four % rate of return? nico08 FIRE and Money 22 07-07-2013 05:20 PM
Protecting Your Nest Egg from the Vultures? ShokWaveRider FIRE and Money 62 11-14-2007 01:49 PM
How much of your nest egg is after-tax money? Rich_by_the_Bay FIRE and Money 51 04-17-2007 09:04 PM
How To Tap Your Nest Egg & Not Go Broke REWahoo FIRE and Money 4 07-16-2005 09:51 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.