Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your 'bare minimum' FU Money to walk out of your miserable job?
$25,000 - $50,000 7 7.29%
$51,000 - $100,000 2 2.08%
$101,000 - $200,000 6 6.25%
$201,000 - $300,000 4 4.17%
$301,000 - $500,000 7 7.29%
$501,000 - $750,000 27 28.13%
Others 43 44.79%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

So you got F U Money, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately because my division of MegaCorp has re-orged and it is going very badly. My bosses' boss left the company pretty much as soon as he found out the general outline of the re-org. My direct boss transferred to another department about a month into it.

Just about everyone is at a loss as to how this is ever going to work, and I'm expecting the exodus of people to start pretty soon. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode, but I don't see a path to a functional organization with the current leadership in charge.

I keep thinking about the adage that you want to be the first person off the sinking ship, not the last.

Time to get that resume up to date and start reaching out to my contacts at other companies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a small business owner, so my F U Money would be a bit different than y'all. I'd be saying F U to my customers I guess? LoL

My Total NW Including Real Estate is just north of $2.3M.

I'm only 31 ... So, for me to give the business the true F U prior to 35, I'd need to be at or north of about $5M. I don't see myself getting there prior to 35 unless the markets are like nothing we've ever seen before Until that day, I'll continue to keep plugging along.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately because my division of MegaCorp has re-orged and it is going very badly. My bosses' boss left the company pretty much as soon as he found out the general outline of the re-org. My direct boss transferred to another department about a month into it.

Just about everyone is at a loss as to how this is ever going to work, and I'm expecting the exodus of people to start pretty soon. I think everyone is in a wait and see mode, but I don't see a path to a functional organization with the current leadership in charge.

I keep thinking about the adage that you want to be the first person off the sinking ship, not the last.

Time to get that resume up to date and start reaching out to my contacts at other companies.
I'm living the same scenario right now, something like your boss' boss who left ASAP. I'm 50 and a VP in a field that has always had huge demand and small supply for what I do. The flip side of that is, most job vacancies in my field (a form of sales) suffer from wildly unrealistic expectations and are to be avoided. My organization is led by someone who is in way over his head and is spinning around making decisions, barking orders and retracting his bad decisions trying to survive. It's not pretty. Our antiquated systems are a joke and now our finances have descended into Full Blown Cluster. I started putting oars in the water the day in August when I was handed a 70% one year sales growth goal for my 18 person team with no new resources. Since then I've been in three searches and just closed today on my next opportunity. I'm definitely hopping to the next lilly pad, thank God. Like your boss' boss, I have learned in these times of severe change in an organization to do it to organizations before they do it to you, and while you can still talk about recent successes rather than failures in the next interviews, if you possibly can. Good luck to you Hamlet!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Good Luck to you Hamlet & Markola. I'm pretty sure you guys have some F U Money Just do it, when you no longer can stand the craziness.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
So you got F U Money, right ?
Well, I'm not FIRE yet. I figure I am about 7-12 years out (young kids are expensive ). So I'm in good shape, but I don't really want to become unemployed for any length of time, as it would impact my FIRE plans.

Two more people left this week, but they weren't people that impact my area at all. I think everyone on my team has made it pretty clear to management that they've left us with too few people to effectively do the day-to-day work without stuff dropping.

I met with a boss from a previous company this week, and he gave me the layout of what's available in the old company. He's in charge of a different area now, and he'd hire me, but the work would be lower level and there would be a pretty ugly commute. So I probably won't go that route unless things get really bad.

The real crisis will come if we lose a couple more people who do work in my area. With the turnover we've already had, our institutional knowledge is at a dangerously low level. We're all sort of feeling each other out with the "if you're leaving, I'm leaving" vibe.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, with young kids, you gotta tough it out for years if you can hold on for as long as you can.

Quote:
Well, I'm not FIRE yet. I figure I am about 7-12 years out (young kids are expensive ). So I'm in good shape, but I don't really want to become unemployed for any length of time, as it would impact my FIRE plans.

Two more people left this week, but they weren't people that impact my area at all. I think everyone on my team has made it pretty clear to management that they've left us with too few people to effectively do the day-to-day work without stuff dropping.

I met with a boss from a previous company this week, and he gave me the layout of what's available in the old company. He's in charge of a different area now, and he'd hire me, but the work would be lower level and there would be a pretty ugly commute. So I probably won't go that route unless things get really bad.

The real crisis will come if we lose a couple more people who do work in my area. With the turnover we've already had, our institutional knowledge is at a dangerously low level. We're all sort of feeling each other out with the "if you're leaving, I'm leaving" vibe.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yeah, with young kids, you gotta tough it out for years if you can hold on for as long as you can.
On the plus side, the local job market is good. I wouldn't have difficulty finding other work. Of course, most big companies are pretty dysfunctional these days. Ironically, most of my newer coworkers came here because another local employer started doing pretty much the same reorg. They are unenthused to say the least.

Our industry appears to be caught in the management fad of 'Agile Scrum'. It was designed for software development, but now everyone is trying to do it everywhere. Frankly, it seems like a questionable system even for software, but in my area it just seems idiotic.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Hamlet. Been awhile visiting this thread. Yea, I hate the Agile Scrum, when misused. Agile Scrum is suppose to be effective if 'everyone involved ' is fully involved. Our management team is doing Agile Scrum without involving the people that matters. They rush to push their ideas, (thinking that's the way to be agile) without consulting the rest of the industry and experts, and boom they have an idiotic idea.

Quote:
Our industry appears to be caught in the management fad of 'Agile Scrum'. It was designed for software development, but now everyone is trying to do it everywhere. Frankly, it seems like a questionable system even for software, but in my area it just seems idiotic.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: So i resigned from my job with a FU money of nearly $700K without another job on hand last August. Late last month, I got hired and signed a new contract with a new employer. New job pays 15% less, but when i was planning to quit my previous job, I learned to cut my expenses by about 15% -20%. I will be starting soon.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Update: So i resigned from my job with a FU money of nearly $700K without another job on hand last August. Late last month, I got hired and signed a new contract with a new employer. New job pays 15% less, but when i was planning to quit my previous job, I learned to cut my expenses by about 15% -20%. I will be starting soon.

And you are starting the job the FU money!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah starting soon