Young dreamer no more...

Thanks again everyone!

Monday, August 2, 2010: First day of freedom...

Wohoo!!
Grats FD, enjoy your new found freedom;)

Congratulations, FIREdreamer! I was wondering whether this thread was going to be about passing another birthday and no longer counting yourself as "young," but so much better to read that you have left the "dreamer" stage behind and can now count yourself among the "Young FIREs" out there. Best of luck to you.

By the way let me say this:

Thank you America! I arrived in this country exactly 13 years ago with $3,000 in my pocket and worldly possessions that could fit in a single suitcase. I could barely speak English and I knew no one in this country. I know we have fallen on hard times lately, but America is still a land of opportunities.

And in case you wonder, I came here legally :)

Congratulations FIREdreamer! And to do it in 13 years! What an accomplishment! Being an immigrant myself, I salute your achievement, and agree - this is indeed, a great country.

You will find yourself wondering if you did the right thing, but don't let it get you down. Calmly go over all your calculations, decisions and you'll believe again. If it gets bad, this community is wonderful at helping you see the forest for the trees.

Thank you America! I arrived in this country exactly 13 years ago with $3,000 in my pocket and worldly possessions that could fit in a single suitcase. I could barely speak English and I knew no one in this country. I know we have fallen on hard times lately, but America is still a land of opportunities.

Refreshing to hear for a change, instead of the usual more-"disadvantaged"-than-thou whinging we usually get.

You had $3,000 in your pocket AND a suitcase in your early 20's. :eek:

Bragger.....:rolleyes:

;)

I sure am glad you're here. :)

OK, so what is your new handle on the forum going to be?

That is awesome!

And I just don't understand why more people can't lift themselves out of a bad neighborhood and become successful. They don't need to cross a border, they know the language... what's stopping them? I'm not saying it's easy, but it is doable.

OK, so what is your new handle on the forum going to be?

He doesn't need a new handle. He can still dream about FIRE. But now, when he wakes up - it will be real!

Congrats - ERD50

That is awesome!

Yes, it's extremely awesome! :clap: Congratulations FD!

And I just don't understand why more people can't lift themselves out of a bad neighborhood and become successful. They don't need to cross a border, they know the language... what's stopping them? I'm not saying it's easy, but it is doable.

People who are prepared to pick up and leave their home countries in search of opportunity (like FD and myself) tend to be very motivated to succeed and willing to work extremely hard to overcome the obstacles we face.

I am very happy for you. Hope you cherish with much joy this phase of your life.

Thanks for all your kind words.

Today I was asked what it is I do for a living... It took me aback, so I replied "nothing". My answer was met with "awww, I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. The job market is terrible right now, isn't it?". I wanted to reply "if you are looking for a job it is". But I didn't say anything...:)

Gosh, time flies in retirement. I can't believe it is Thursday already!

Today I was asked what it is I do for a living... It took me aback, so I replied "nothing". My answer was met with "awww, I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. The job market is terrible right now, isn't it?". I wanted to reply "if you are looking for a job it is". But I didn't say anything...:)

Just say "I think I'll manage". :D

Just saw and read through this thread. Congrats!

Man, am I the only one still working and paying into SS now?

Well, I guess someone has to keep this "trust fund" afloat. :)

PS. What's the story on the RV now?

PS. What's the story on the RV now?

DW and I strongly consider buying a small RV, but it doesn't make sense as long as DW works full-time. When she retires or semi-retires in a couple of years, we will have more free time to travel for long periods of time. In the meantime, it gives me something to research and dream about. I have been reading magazines, visiting dealerships and looking for RV shows. DW is a lot more enthusiastic about getting a RV than I originally expected.

You are right about not buying it now. Having it sitting there and not being able to take off would drive you INSANE, I tell ya!

You are right about not buying it now. Having it sitting there and not being able to take off would drive you INSANE, I tell ya!

I'll take your word for it! I just saw in another thread that, in a few weeks, your RV will finally leave its spot in the driveway for some exciting adventure! You gotta be psyched!

Posted by ERD50:
And I just don't understand why more people can't lift themselves out of a bad...

People who are prepared to pick up and leave their home countries in search of opportunity (like FD and myself) tend to be very motivated to succeed and willing to work extremely hard to overcome the obstacles we face.

I don't mean to sidetrack this celebration with this serious stuff, so just a short note to say I agree. It is a form of 'survivorship bias' - those are the people that were already motivated enough to get out. But still.... hmmm, maybe those people should give motivational speeches to the people in bad situations? Ooops, getting all serious again. Cut that out!

Congrats again FD! :clap:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom