Join Early Retirement Today

Blank Pages and No Response Thread
Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blank Pages and No Response Thread

This problem is scattered across several threads. Let's consolidate it here.

The symptom is clicking on a link, waiting, and not getting the page you requested. Usually retrying gets it right away or on the next try. Depending on the browser and situation you might get a blank page, and error message or just not leave the page you're on.

From your reports I can correlate this event with a peculiar entry in the access log, and I can see it happens regularly throughout the day.

I requested help from the SMF people but haven't had much response yet. I'll try again with more info.

I'm also going to try switching various features off and on.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Blank Pages and No Response Thread
Old 05-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #2

BMJ,

It's a slight annoyance so don't sweat it
Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #3

Yup, I get the No response page at all times of the day. It did seem to get worse the last few days.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
It's a slight annoyance so don't sweat it
Thanks. Well, it's mostly an annoyance. I'm afraid it may be happening as people post occasionally, and that may cause a lost message. Or a duplicate message, depending on what happens next. Dupes I can handle, but losing something just typed is a frustration I wish on no one.

Besides, I'm an INTP, and something's not working right, so I'm rather compelled to figure it out and fix it. If it makes you feel better I'm doing lots of things besides look into this, too. In fact I just bid on an won a cheap old dual-processer server at eBay . $200 for a 2U rackmount 2xPIII 600MHz, 1G parity RAM and two hard drives. It will serve some new web pages of mine from home now that my DSL is reliable again. It may live to make it to a colo facility, but I expect I'll have a better machine if it comes to that. (See what you started, Cut-Throat? Complain about "new" tags on threads and send a guy into a web geek streak.)

Cut-Throat, I feel like it's been happening more lately, too. So far every feeling I've had about it doesn't bear out through statistical analysis of the logs, but when I get a chance I'll try to determine if it's happening more lately or if it's just "our turn" for the bugs.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe you could set up a page that only you know about and then have a script run on a remote machine requesting that page every few seconds. Then you could just parse the log for that page.

Here's the message I get in Firefox 1.03
Quote:
The server www.early-retirement.org returned an invalid response to your request for http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/index.php
BristolBane is offline   Reply With Quote
FIXED! (?)
Old 05-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #6

FIXED! (?)

I think Dory36 and his host's engineers worked the bug out during maintenance overnight. There have been none of the glitches since 3:30 CDT this morning!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm.... this morning (6ish on the East coast) I had new problems: a page that kept saying "database error" when I tried to visit this site. Obviously, it's gone now, 'cuz here I am.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
Hmmm.... this morning (6ish on the East coast) I had new problems:* a page that kept saying "database error" when I tried to visit this site.* Obviously, it's gone now, 'cuz here I am.
Part of the work required that the server be rebooted. That was about 330am central -- a time I thought no one would be trying to get in. As the server came back up, I had to fiddle with a few settings before we were back in full operation. The error message you saw was related to the settings, which were completed by a few minutes before 4am central.* I hope you saw the error before 5am east coast time -- shouldn't have been any further problems of that sort after then.

dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
That was about 330am central -- a time I thought no one would be trying to get in.
Surely you jest.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
Developer of FIRECalc

You're right. I should know better.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 05-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I should also stop calling you "Shirley".

You need to take a vacation if you missed that one...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This is still going on by the way. Yesterday it took me 3-4 tries to get the page to come up.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

And by the way, I notice Dory is in red while the rest of us high posters are still lime green.

I dont WANNA be lime green
Old 05-19-2005, 02:43 PM   #14

Yeah, it's still going on. I haven't had a chance to look at it this week. End of the fiscal year and some other stuff is keeping me busy. Hopefully this weekend I can try some of the ideas I've had.

Gee, th, when you complained about being purple you got changed to lime green. Now you're complaining again. Don't you think Dory36 can come up with something uglier?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, surely you'd think I'd know better by now...

Quit letting that pesky work stuff get in the way of whats really important!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Yesterday it took me 3-4 tries to get the page to come up.
th, haven't you heard about all the drugs on the market now to help you get it up...

REW
Old 05-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #17
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
I dont WANNA be lime green
I fixed that.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #18
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
This is still going on by the way.* Yesterday it took me 3-4 tries to get the page to come up.
For what it's worth, I have been running PingPlotter every 10 seconds for the past several hours, and have seen drops at one of the backbones that I, and probably others, pass through to get to ther server that e-r.org resides on. A plot is below. The red lines show momentary outages.

The second chart shows the same time period, pinging the e-r site, but a split second later each time. NO outages, even though the att backbone I pass through had outages on seceral occasions.

I think this means there are occasional very short outages on the ATT backbone, and I suspect that anyone trying to get a page at just the wrong time will have gotten the blank pages.

It probably also means there is no fine tuning we can do at the server end to reduce the problem.

Anyone with a solution, chime in! (Any soon-to-be e-rs at AT&T WorldNet?)
Attached Images
File Type: gif att.gif (3.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: gif e-r.gif (2.8 KB, 44 views)

Re: Couldn't access the discussion board
Old 05-20-2005, 11:19 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Couldn't access the discussion board

Dory, BMJ,

I'm not sniveling, but here's data to beat your ISP over the head with.

I wasn't able to bring up the board for extended periods last night (~6:30-7:30 PM HST) and this morning (~5-6:30 AM HST). This is the first time I've ever had an access problem and it seems unlikely that I was hitting AT&T's backbone at exactly the wrong time on every one of my dozens of obsessive-compulsive attempts. I'm not saying that AT&T's backbone doesn't have problems-- I'm saying that there seem to be more problems than just the one that your pinging has identified. (Gosh, do you think AT&T's problem has anything to do my Verizon DSL service?)

I'm using http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php with IE6 and I was getting the "page cannot be displayed" message varied with occasional very slow (yet unsuccessful) loads. It looked like a lot of people were trying to hop on board at the same time.

(And for the rest of the board, I'm not trying to solve any of my own computer problems here-- so don't feel obligated to suggest Firefox or cache-clearing or other surfing-enhancement strategies. What I want from my computer is not necessarily what my spouse & kid are willing to put up with.)

Dory, on an unrelated & hypothetical topic, do you accept financial donations to maintain the board? If so, what's an appropriate amount? Roy Weitz over at FundAlarm suggests $18/year and several online magazines charge a few bucks a month. And how do you prefer to receive the $$? Again this is NOT a complaint or coercion or even a measly bribe...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Dory, I had the exact same problem as Nords this am and couldn't get on.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote