First thread view takes me mid thread

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've noticed lately that a few times when I go to a thread I've never visited that I don't start at #1 entry. Historically, and I think practically, one's visit to a thread should take you to your last visited post or, to #1 if it's your first visit.

For example, as a test, I went to the photographer's thread (never been there AFAIK) and ended up about half-way through the thread. I may (very big may) have visited once before but I never would've read through several hundred postings, which is where it dumped me.

Any ideas? Doesn't seem to happen with every thread, just sometimes.

I see that happen too. Usually it's a long thread, and it takes me to the top of the last page of posts. I have my profile set for 40 post/page, so if there are 100 posts the first one I see is 81. I haven't paid close enough attention to really determine a pattern, but I don't think it's random.

Then again, sometimes it takes me to the first post.

Last edited:
Lately, I've been noticing irregularities in where I land, even on a thread I've previously visited.

I'll see that there are new posts, I'll click on the thread to go read it, expecting to be taken to the first new post since my last visit...and I end up randomly at some later new post. Sometimes I'm not even aware that I've missed some new posts, unless the ones I read happen to mention a post upthread that I had not yet seen.

This has only started happening in the last week or so. Bizarre.

omni

Just the other day, clicking on a thread to read it, I somehow ended up in the photo album of another poster, the one you would have to go into his profile to access. Forgot what I tapped on next, but I went to another poster's album. Weird.

In the long ago past, one time I made a post, then later revisited the thread to see other people's new posts. Could not find mine. Did not think I was imagining it when I posted, so went look for my post and found it in another thread. Weird.

And at about the same time, saw a post from someone else landing in a thread totally unrelated to the post content, and other people pondering if that poster lost her mind. As that happened to me, I knew how that came about. :)

I don't know how the forum server software works, but imagine that the posts are indexed and linked together to form a thread. Somehow, the index or pointer of the post got messed up, and it fell into the wrong thread. Maybe the hardware drops one digital bit. Maybe the software got a hiccup. When a computer goes wrong, all kinds of weird things are possible.

Last edited:
OP here. Ok so it's not just me.

My super paranoid worry was that someone was reading threads using my ID and I was 'returning' to where they had visited.

It’s a new feature, and only does this to the trouble makers to annoy them.

I am just joking

It’s a new feature, and only does this to the trouble makers to annoy them.

I am just joking

In that case, it's working just fine!

Just a question... have you ever marked all threads read?

In Quick Links you can mark all forums read and it reset where you last were even if you did not read a thread..

I've noticed lately that a few times when I go to a thread I've never visited that I don't start at #1 entry. Historically, and I think practically, one's visit to a thread should take you to your last visited post or, to #1 if it's your first visit.

For example, as a test, I went to the photographer's thread (never been there AFAIK) and ended up about half-way through the thread. I may (very big may) have visited once before but I never would've read through several hundred postings, which is where it dumped me.

Any ideas? Doesn't seem to happen with every thread, just sometimes.
Might be a glitch in the Matrix.

I’ve not noticed this happen, not to say it isn’t happening.

It only happens in the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition.
Or when I've been drinking heavily.

Otherwise it works just fine.

Just a question... have you ever marked all threads read?

In Quick Links you can mark all forums read and it reset where you last were even if you did not read a thread..

I've never marked all threads read, fwiw.

omni

OP here. Ok so it's not just me.

My super paranoid worry was that someone was reading threads using my ID and I was 'returning' to where they had visited.

It's not just you, but I've been noticing it for at least a year. For every thread with new messages I scroll back to the first one marked yesterday. Then an ad comes, refreshes the page, and scrolls me to where I was put initially, and I have to scroll back again. Oh, such work.

I’ve never seen this happen, but it might be helpful if those who see it could specify their platform (type of device, OS version, and browser/app being used).

Restating my issue: When I go to read new posts on a previously-read thread, I click on the thread, expecting to be taken to the first unread post. Lately though, on some threads only, I am NOT taken to the first new post, but to a random new post in the thread. As I am reading the new posts, I sometimes realize that there are unread new posts above the one that I was taken to, so I need to scroll back to the last post I had previously read and start reading the new posts from that point forward.

This issue seems to have started in the past few weeks, IIRC.

Device: PC laptop
Operating System: Windows 10 Home, version 1803
Browser: Firefox 61.0.2 with AdBlock Plus

omni

Last edited:
A few observations that may or may not be helpful:

- "Go to first new post" actually means "go to the first post I haven't read that was made in the past 10 days". You can verify this by visiting the first new post on some of the huge threads that you don't ordinarily follow. If you do it today, you'll see posts made on or after August 2.

- "Go to first new post" can be unpredictable if you do not use the Linear Mode Oldest First display mode. See this for more info: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_thread_display. This has been discussed in the vBulletin software forums for years and there is no good way to handle showing the newest response in a threaded display.

- Some ad engines are pretty insidious and especially if you're reading on a phone or iPad, they do all kinds of things to force their content on you. If the problem seems to be ad related, and you're on a platform where you can use an ad blocker, try one.

- If you post in a topic, then your own post immediately becomes the last one you read. So if anyone else has posted while you were typing out your response, you need to scroll back to read them.

- "Go to first new post" actually means "go to the first post I haven't read that was made in the past 10 days". You can verify this by visiting the first new post on some of the huge threads that you don't ordinarily follow. If you do it today, you'll see posts made on or after August 2.

Definitely helpful. That may be what I've been seeing.

- If you post in a topic, then your own post immediately becomes the last one you read. So if anyone else has posted while you were typing out your response, you need to scroll back to read them.
I've noticed this behavior, but it's usually just 1 or 2 posts, so no big deal.

Thanks.

What I see on most threads shown by "New Posts" then "View First Unread" is, it scrolls down to about 10 or so posts past the last one I read. I checked and I have the Linear display option set.

It's not that big a deal to scroll back, except that somehow that triggers an ad refresh and that puts me back to where I was. Then I scroll back again. Apparently nobody experiences that part except me.

Browser: Safari

No ad blocker. Except for this, which is really not the ad's "fault", I'm not bothered by ads.

Back
Top Bottom