How about posting reasons for closing a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The ACA subsidies thread was closed this morning before any controversial posts were made (at least none I saw). I guessed administrators were waiting for a more definitive announcement before allowing such a fraught topic? How about giving the reason before closing a topic? I for one would like to know what to avoid to prevent my mistakes from resulting in a closure. Partisan posts, I got that. But topics reported in multiple mainstream news accounts before formal identifiable announcements?

The ACA subsidies thread was closed this morning before any controversial posts were made (at least none I saw). I guessed administrators were waiting for a more definitive announcement before allowing such a fraught topic? How about giving the reason before closing a topic? I for one would like to know what to avoid to prevent my mistakes from resulting in a closure. Partisan posts, I got that. But topics reported in multiple mainstream news accounts before formal identifiable announcements?

+1

maybe the post was presumed to (eventually) be political?

I'd like a brief explanation, too- may help us from getting the next one closed.

My guess is that there is so much false information being presented by all the news organizations, it is sure to be political in short order.

News organizations tend to post "the sky is falling" articles, before any information is known.

I thought this was an explanation of why the thread was closed:

In order to understand how these measures will impact us we need to know how and when they will be implemented. None of those details have been released or communicated. We look forward to detailed thread discussions on changes to the CSR, association plans, short term plans, and health reimbursement arrangements once operational details are published.

There are no specifics, just general directives, speculation and news hype at the moment.

I thought this was an explanation of why the thread was closed:

There are no specifics, just general directives, speculation and news hype at the moment.
Me too. Seems like all come with an explanation.

I thought it was forbidden to talk about moderators actions, I was banned for doing that. If you ban 1 you have to ban all

We talk about moderator actions all the time. Many of us here think they make difficult decisions in logical, fair ways. I've never seen anyone chastised for a respectful response to a moderator's actions.

I believe it is forbidden to try to quarrel with/undermine the moderators' actions. We can still ask for advice on avoiding trouble.

I thought it was forbidden to talk about moderators actions, I was banned for doing that. If you ban 1 you have to ban all

Do the Moderators get paid?

I assume not, and it very much a thankless job.

Moderators are all volunteers. They receive no compensation of any kind and generously donate hours of their time each week.

We talk about moderator actions all the time. Many of us here think they make difficult decisions in logical, fair ways. I've never seen anyone chastised for a respectful response to a moderator's actions.

However, for an argumentative response .................

I'm on another Board (Flyertalk) where there's a rule that you don't discuss the moderator's actions. At first I thought it reeked of censorship till I noticed on another Board that discussions of the moderator's actions typically degenerated into rehashing the very controversy that got the original thread closed, so I get that.

I think what the OP was asking for (and I would agree) is a brief explanation (e.g. "no definite statements have been made about specific law changes/tax changes/healthcare/whatever so this isn't the time to discuss it".

It’s also forbidden to talk about other forums’ moderators’ actions here apparently.

I think what the OP was asking for (and I would agree) is a brief explanation (e.g. "no definite statements have been made about specific law changes/tax changes/healthcare/whatever so this isn't the time to discuss it".

+1

Which is what MichaelB said in his closing statement.

The fact that ACA & Healthcare is the single most important thing in an ER's life Period! (For those who are less than or equal too 400% of PL at least) should bear some weight. We just want to talk about it an vent a little. Personally, I believe we can do so with civility and non partisan banter. Rather than close a thread, those that violate should be heavily penalized and/or posts deleted. I for one am a little guilty, but we can conform if need be and are not provoked by comments.

Last edited:
We just want to talk about it an vent a little. Personally, I believe we can do so with civility and non partisan banter.

History has proven otherwise.

Rather than close a thread, those that violate should be heavily penalized and/or posts deleted. I for one am a little guilty...

I rest my case. :LOL:

I think the moderators do a great job, but I agree that it would be helpful to have an explanation of the rationale. I think it must be confusing to new members when a topic is closed before anything controversial is posted. Actually, I find it confusing as well. It's like the time in high school I got detention because "you looked like you were about to cause trouble".

I want to be a moderator when I grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom