I'd like to ignore a moderator

vBulletin software allows the moderators to track how many posters have a member on their "Ignore Poster" list.

I suspect that every few months the "Top Ten Ignored Posters" list comes up for review. Or, if a poster starts causing problems and they're already a Top Ten member, that might be an extra strike against them.

So I see the "Ignore Poster" list as a way for members to provide feedback to the moderators on who we'd like to kick off the board. Vote early, vote often!
Rut-row. I've asked a few members to put me in their ignore list. Note to self: be nice when you post here...:cool:

[mod hat]vBulletin probably allows a lot of things that some forums might use, but as far as the "most ignored list" here, it's pretty much on my personal virtual "ignore list" as a mod. Not much of a "big brother factor" going on there. I can't remember the last time I thought to look at it.[/mod hat]

I never knew it worked that way. That's interesting that you moderators get a list and monitor it. You just can't get away from Big Brother.

I still do not see why anyone would want to ignore anybody. Everybody has something to learn even from people you may not like. And a thread would lose some of it's charm or follow through if it's missing some conversations.

I agree with your take on the ignore button. You can always learn something from anyone posting. Makes no difference whether or not you agree. There are many threads I don't pay attention to because they don't interest me but I have never ignored any members post because of who they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew it worked that way. That's interesting that you moderators get a list and monitor it. You just can't get away from Big Brother.

I still do not see why anyone would want to ignore anybody. Everybody has something to learn even from people you may not like. And a thread would lose some of it's charm or follow through if it's missing some conversations.

I think the secret top 10 bad boy list needs to be posted for all of us to see. Then we can vote on whether to send them to Redemption Island or out of the game. We would make alliances to protect ourselves and if a bad guy has an Immunity Idol he can't get voted out. I like Survivor. Hmmm...the ex-Mil tribe against the Civi Tribe? What about Challenges? Sidetracked again...

[mod hat on]Umm, it doesn't work that way. Maybe it did when Nords was a mod several years ago, and as I said above there probably are a lot of vBulletin features available but there just ain't no double secret list of most ignored posters being generated for this group of mods.[/mod hat off]

[mod hat on]Umm, it doesn't work that way. Maybe it did when Nords was a mod several years ago, and as I said above there probably are a lot of vBulletin features available but there just ain't no double secret list of most ignored posters being generated for this group of mods.[/mod hat off]

+1

[modhat on]Having seen these posts, I went and looked up the ignored poster list. I haven't looked at it in quite a while. [modhat off]

Before I was a Mod I never used the ignore feature. Easy enough to scroll past posts I wasn't interested in - put a lot of miles on the old mouse scroll button at times.

I suspect that every few months the "Top Ten Ignored Posters" list comes up for review.

[mod hat]vBulletin probably allows a lot of things that some forums might use, but as far as the "most ignored list" here, it's pretty much on my personal virtual "ignore list" as a mod. Not much of a "big brother factor" going on there. I can't remember the last time I thought to look at it.[/mod hat]

+1

[modhat on]Having seen these posts, I went and looked up the ignored poster list. I haven't looked at it in quite a while. [modhat off]

Based on these replies, I suspect that Nord's suspicions are suspect. What do you suppose?

-ERD50

Based on these replies, I suspect that Nord's suspicions are suspect. What do you suppose?

-ERD50

[mod hat OFF] I suspect that your suspicions that Nords suspicions are suspect, are simply suppositions and surely suspect. :ROFLMAO:

[mod hat on]

There is a reason why we do not use the ignored poster list as a moderation tool: It's pretty useless. Being ignored by 5 people is not the same when you have 100 or 10,000 posts under your belt. And besides, few people use the ignore function, which means that the sample size is small and the data probably skewed.

[mod hat off]

[mod hat OFF] I suspect that your suspicions that Nords suspicions are suspect, are simply suppositions and surely suspect. :ROFLMAO:

Most assuredly, a series of successively sportive responses, similar to this sequence, risks suppressing the life span of my "S" key.

As we are soon hosting a social gathering, I should submit to my spouse's suggestion that I suspend this silly saga.

Happy Easter!

-ERD50

Most assuredly, a series of successively sportive responses, similar to this sequence, risks suppressing the life span of my "S" key.

As we are soon hosting a social gathering, I should submit to my spouse's suggestion that I suspend this silly saga.

Happy Easter!

-ERD50

rofl.gif

Happy Easter!!

And besides, few people use the ignore function, which means that the sample size is small and the data probably skewed.

I think using the ignore function is pretty much a waste of time. I've used it, but I would say 90% of the time someone quotes the ignored poster's post and I end up seeing it anyway. And in many cases, by the time I get around to ignoring someone they tend to disappear from the forum, either banned or driven away.

I had accumulated 5 on my ignore list, but I cleared my list as a result of this thread. I found I was often viewing their posts anyway (often in someone else's reply), some were worth reading, others not IMO. I try not to take myself so seriously as to be put off so easily...it's not like I have to read every post/word.

There have been about 5 others who were once on my ignore list, who mysteriously disappeared from this site (don't know, don't care).

Heck, I am just hoping the moderators would ignore ME...........:)

Sometimes I would like to ignore my SO but I can't seem to locate the correct button .:)

I'm with Redbug and Johnnie. I don't see what the value of the ignore function is. Can't you just skip over their posts? I am very interested in what everyone has to say. Maybe when I am not so green here I will feel differently. There is entertainment value in scoffing at a post you disagree with too, don't you think?

Nothing personal to anyone.... I kinda ignored the thread without the button :D but I'm still in megacrap day to day and have limited 'me' time before the kids wake up.

I'm with Redbug and Johnnie. I don't see what the value of the ignore function is. Can't you just skip over their posts? I am very interested in what everyone has to say. Maybe when I am not so green here I will feel differently. There is entertainment value in scoffing at a post you disagree with too, don't you think?
The boards I use have the ignore function. It is probably less useful here, as 100% of the posts are worth reading.

I think the valid reason for ignoring is that you just want to limit the new posts that come up. It does help. But it don't work for mods.

There probably is a way to block certain content in the browser, but is it worthwhile?

Even the few people that annoy me here (and it is only 2 or 3 at the most) I don't block. You never know if they have something of interest to say and if they don't I can stop reading their posts and go to the next in the thread. It takes a lot for me to ignore someone, don't think I ever did it anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom