Ignoring users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I wouldn't ignore anyone, even if I could. I don't always agree with people, but they almost always make me think. There are many intelligent, thoughtful and funny members here, and I enjoy reading what they post.

So it goes to the saying: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ?

(author unknown to me.)

Actually, I wouldn't ignore anyone, even if I could. I don't always agree with people, but they almost always make me think. There are many intelligent, thoughtful and funny members here, and I enjoy reading what they post.

+1 on this...

I am pretty blunt, just the way I am built... and there are a few posters on here that are so far from my point of view on everything that I might only agree with maybe 1 of 100 posts... sometimes when I read their post I will say to myself "how could anybody think like that"...

BUT, I do not ignore them as I do want to get everybody's view... after reading I can then just ignore what I read...

As to being really blunt, I have someone in mind for this... there are engineers on this board that want to deal in facts... if you are posting something that should be based in facts they will challenge you to the facts... I really like that... I think you should be able to defend a fact based comment with real facts... and if someone points out that the numbers do not seem to add up I do not think that is being rude...

Then again, I might be ignored by a number of people...

BTW, is there any way to find out who IS ignoring you? Now that would be something interesting to see...

I can think of only one person on here that seems to hunt me down and post almost opposite of what I say. I don’t even have them on ignore. That’s the internet. There will always be “that guy”. I try not to be “that guy.”

Differing views is one thing (and I won't hit ignore for that). Being an ass is another, and I don't put up with that offline, and won't online either. Doing so to make one feel "tolerant and superior", well, as I said before, to each his own. :greetings10:

I do learn a great deal from this forum, in the areas I want to learn. ER and financial.

Thanks to everyone for that opportunity.

Can't imagine caring enough to put anyone on ignore. Just move to the next one.

Agree that the mods do a fantastic job here. And I've learned so much. Very humbling to read some of the well informed posts here.

To the OP. practice reading the annoying posts and moving on. Good life practice in general [emoji4]

Agree that the mods do a fantastic job here. And I've learned so much. Very humbling to read some of the well informed posts here.

To the OP. practice reading the annoying posts and moving on. Good life practice in general [emoji4]
Different people handle things different ways. On nearly every forum I've been on, including this one, I've seen mods suggest people use the ignore function to avoid constant clashes. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but don't tell the OP (and me) not to use it. For me, I'm here for the entertainment as much as learning, and the content and style of a few posters takes away from the experience, far more than they contribute, for me. I cooperated with disagreeable people for 27 years of my career. I don't have to do that anymore.

I agree that the mods do a great job here. I do my part to make it a little easier for them by making it hard for me to respond badly to people who push my buttons.

I wish I could just read annoying posts and move on. That's a weakness of mine. A strength is recognizing my weakness and working around it, since I don't seem to be able to overcome it. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do.

If posts in a given thread get annoying, or I get bored or fed up with a thread, (That is more often the case), like this thread is starting to. Nothing personal, I may be just fed up with following it anymore, I simply remove it from my subscription list rather than block anyone in particular. I find all opinions of value even if others do not. But I do get bored of the threads occasionally.

I learned early on with this board to think carefully before I do post as you will hear from others. I don't have anyone on ignore, I would just move on. I do enjoy the board, the moderators, and I have learned a lot.

Why the constant need to tell the OP to NOT use the ignore feature and to read the annoying posts instead for their own good!?! Jeez! :facepalm:

Differing views is one thing (and I won't hit ignore for that). Being an ass is another, and I don't put up with that offline, and won't online either. Doing so to make one feel "tolerant and superior", well, as I said before, to each his own. :greetings10:

I do learn a great deal from this forum, in the areas I want to learn. ER and financial.

Thanks to everyone for that opportunity.

This is the third time on this thread you have called some posters here "a$$4es"... now you're telling the posters that feel listening to discourse and the other side of an issue is important that we do it to feel "tolerant and superior".

Tell us what you really think

I smell bacon cooking.

Different people handle things different ways. On nearly every forum I've been on, including this one, I've seen mods suggest people use the ignore function to avoid constant clashes. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but don't tell the OP (and me) not to use it. For me, I'm here for the entertainment as much as learning, and the content and style of a few posters takes away from the experience, far more than they contribute, for me. I cooperated with disagreeable people for 27 years of my career. I don't have to do that anymore.

I agree that the mods do a great job here. I do my part to make it a little easier for them by making it hard for me to respond badly to people who push my buttons.

I wish I could just read annoying posts and move on. That's a weakness of mine. A strength is recognizing my weakness and working around it, since I don't seem to be able to overcome it. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do.
Agree with all but the last paragraph.

I don’t wish to read annoying posts and move on. I don’t consider that a moral weakness that I should overcome. I’ve simply got better things to do with my time.

For the record - I don’t believe that all posts are equal nor all opinions equally valid, nor do I feel like I should read each and every post on any topic nor every opinion expressed and certainly not if I have to wade through language I find dismissive or holier-than-thou.

Getting tired of the moralizing on this forum. Maybe it’s time to ignore more aggressively.:angel:

Last edited:
For sure we can keep this friendly. :) This thread might be an example of the usefulness of the “ignore” feature.

Why the constant need to tell the OP to NOT use the ignore feature and to read the annoying posts instead for their own good!?! Jeez! :facepalm:

I guess maybe because he came here rather belligerent made a political type comment and started calling some of the posters here a$$es, not once but several times. I felt some compulsion to advise him to keep at it and read a few more posts before making that judgement. If you have less then 100 posts and start taking potshots at people,it can backfire.

What of one of these posters he so dislikes has an area of expertise that can help him greatly with his ER? Or some valuable insight about paying for HI when you retire early. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying give people a chance before you label them "not worth your time"

We're in the virtual world here but sometime things do feel personal. In my case I even have a few family members that are willing to judge and ignore other family members and lifelong friends because of political differences of opinions. This might be coloring my responses here. We're forum members from different countries, different ages, both sexes, different in many many ways. Living on my farm reading here is a chance to see the people behind the posters and how they are different and yes alike to me.

Last edited:
Agree with all but the last paragraph.

I don’t wish to read annoying posts and move on. I don’t consider that a moral weakness that I should overcome. I’ve simply got better things to do with my time.

For the record - I don’t believe that all posts are equal nor all opinions equally valid, nor do I feel like I should read each and every post on any topic nor every opinion expressed.

Getting tired of the moralizing on this forum. Maybe it’s time to ignore more aggressively.:angel:
We're not far off. I said "I wish I COULD just read annoying posts and move on", but not "I wish I DID read...". I just wish I had the ability to not let my buttons be pushed. I still probably would put some people on ignore just to make it more enjoyable.

Ha! There are posts that p_ss me off, often by the same poster (no names mentioned here). Then, I read the same poster under a different topic and they make sense and seem insightful.

It's like being around my family. I can leave a family gathering that had an ugly political discussion, fuming, I will never talk to them again!
But guess what, time passes and they do something wonderful and I love them again.

I use another site that is more Instagrammish—people can post just text, a photo, or a video, and others comment; you can be private and monitor who can see your stuff, or public and duh everything is public. You can block another user and never see their posts or comments, which is reciprocal; if you block others, they can never see your posts. It’s easy to block but almost impossible to lift a block. I sort of like that system—you really have to think about if you want to ignore someone forever....

Last edited:
It is an interesting exchange. I think I may not have been here long enough to have felt the need to ignore people, but that day could be coming.

Stated differently, I do ignore people or at least certain posts. But I do not use the ignore feature. If I found someone consistently disagreeable, obtuse, or generally useless I would definitely use the ignore feature.

We're not far off. I said "I wish I COULD just read annoying posts and move on", but not "I wish I DID read...". I just wish I had the ability to not let my buttons be pushed. I still probably would put some people on ignore just to make it more enjoyable.
I’ve put some posters on ignore not due to pushing my buttons, but perhaps due to constantly beating a dead horse or what seems to me to be troll-like behavior.

I occasionally take ignored posters off, but amazingly most get eventually ignored again.

The number ignored is very small just FYI.

... It takes a lot for me to Ignore a poster.

...I do ignore people or at least certain posts. But I do not use the ignore feature. ...

+1 I've never put anyone on Ignore yet... though I concede that there is at least one poster that when I see his screen name I just skip to the next post as IME he doesn't have anything useful to contribute. I have a short list of Ignore List candidates if I ever decide to use that function.

Last edited:
Again... Why do you care? [emoji16]

Why do you care?

I personally do not like shoulding. I tend to speak up when I see that happening.

But I’ve said my piece.....

Probably better if you put me on ignore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom