Roku vs Fire Stick

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I never bought a Fire Stick because my cable company’s (Spectrum) app didn’t work with it. So I used a Roku. Now that I’ve dropped my cable company for TV, I’m wondering if I’d like a Fire Stick better. I realize there wouldn’t be much difference, but I was wondering if it worked better with something like Prime Video. Also wondering if the remote and the menu with the Fire Stick is any better than the Roku. It would be really cool if I could program the remote to select a different source on my TV now that I’m switching to an antenna for my local channels. Then I’d only need one remote.

I never bought a Fire Stick because my cable company’s (Spectrum) app didn’t work with it. So I used a Roku. Now that I’ve dropped my cable company for TV, I’m wondering if I’d like a Fire Stick better. I realize there wouldn’t be much difference, but I was wondering if it worked better with something like Prime Video. Also wondering if the remote and the menu with the Fire Stick is any better than the Roku. It would be really cool if I could program the remote to select a different source on my TV now that I’m switching to an antenna for my local channels. Then I’d only need one remote.

I've got a Roku TV (TV with Roku baked into it.) I've had a TV with a Firestick. I have a TV with a Roku Ultra (external Roku device.)

Like you, I was curious about Firestick, so I bought one.

Amazon-Fire-Stick-720.jpg

I did not like the Firestick. The user interface is clunky. It was hard to customize the way I wanted it. The streaming app icon tiles were small. The ads were intrusive. My wife never got the hang of using the Firestick, but she's very comfortable with the Roku interface.

I found the Roku remote to be easier to use, has better ergonomics and more intuitive. The remote with the Roku Ultra has rechargeable batteries, an advantage, IMO.

The Firestick has a slight advantage with some select programming on Amazon Prime Video. The only thing I've found is that Thursday Night Football is not always in HDR with Roku, but it always is with Firestick (there may be more programming that's in HDR on Firestick but not Roku, but I'm not aware of any.) This is a deliberate move by Amazon, I presume to build customer loyalty. If you don't have a 4K TV you won't notice or care about HDR (or Dolbyvision.) I can tell you that live sports in 4K HDR is stunning.

I never tried the phone app for Firestick, but I have used the Roku phone app, and it's pretty good.

I ended up selling the Firestick on Facebook Marketplace for $4 less than I paid for it.

Just like Roku, I don't think the Firestick system can switch from streaming content to antenna sourced live TV. That has to be done with the TV remote. The TV with Roku baked in does have this ability, however.

I know the curiosity is strong to see what a Firestick can do. I tried it but for me it was a disappointment. You could always buy one, try it out for a couple of weeks and return it if you didn't like it. I definitely like Roku better than Firestick.

Last edited:
I definitely like Roku better than Firestick.

Thank you for that write up.

I wonder if my Apple TV streaming will display Prime Video in high def. I don’t know how to tell.

Thank you for that write up.

I wonder if my Apple TV streaming will display Prime Video in high def. I don’t know how to tell.

When programming content that is in HDR or Dolbyvision is accessed through my Roku or my LG's TV apps there is an HDR or Dolbyvision logo that appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen for 1-2 seconds. Perhaps your Apple TV streamer has this feature as well?

When programming content that is in HDR or Dolbyvision is accessed through my Roku or my LG's TV apps there is an HDR or Dolbyvision logo that appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen for 1-2 seconds. Perhaps your Apple TV streamer has this feature as well?

Thanks. I’ll look for something like that.

I have the 4K firestick. Using only the firestick remote, I am able to switch between my live TV stations received through my antenna to my paid subscriptions (Prime video, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Max) and to my free streaming channels (Tubi, Pluto tv, etc). I can also navigate to my recorded programs I receive from my Amazon Recast dvr. Transmits both live tv and streamed programs in 4K. I don’t even need to pick up the TV remote anymore since it turns on/off the TV and controls the volume.

I have experience with both.

I'll take Roku over a Firestick any day. I love my Roku.

If you get a Roku, get a model that has a remote control that includes power, volume and mute. Some also have voice command. The cheapest models don't have those. Once you have that, you are good to go with one remote. The remote will also handle most TV duties. However, be aware switching inputs (like from HDMI to Antenna) is tricky on both the Roku and Firestick. Not all TVs play well. You can look up the process on an internet search. For live free TV, I use a Tablo device which presents as just another App on the Roku tile screen. This gets me local TV with my own antenna, and DVR like capabilities.

My experience with Firestick was simply that it was slow to respond to things like going home and switching apps/providers. The Roku's response has always been lighting fast.

We visited my SIL last Christmas and she announced that there's no TV in the house because it is broken. I took a look and found a bricked Firestick stuck on the boot screen. This is her second failed Firestick in 2 years. The bricking is a fairly common problem (https://www.pcmag.com/news/did-an-amazon-update-accidentally-brick-fire-tv-devices). The only fix is to get an adapter that allows you to connect an android keyboard to it. Well, no time for that mess, so day after Christmas I ran to Walmart and picked up a Roku and had her back in business.

My Rokus are now going on 4 and 6 years old with no issues. Every couple of months I reboot just in case to keep them operating cleanly. That's all.

Last edited:
FWIW, I do have Roku’s on both TV’s and like them, however, the remote doesn’t play well with my main tv. I’ve tried other remotes - even got a new on from Roku - didn’t help. Other than that, I like the Roku, especially the remote, better than the Apple TV 4K. I was hoping the Fire Stick might be better, or at least as good, but works with my tv (a Samsung).

I have the 4K firestick. Using only the firestick remote, I am able to switch between my live TV stations received through my antenna to my paid subscriptions (Prime video, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Max) and to my free streaming channels (Tubi, Pluto tv, etc). I can also navigate to my recorded programs I receive from my Amazon Recast dvr. Transmits both live tv and streamed programs in 4K. I don’t even need to pick up the TV remote anymore since it turns on/off the TV and controls the volume.

I'm not familiar with the Amazon Recast DVR system, however, I assume your live TV antenna connects to your Recast DVR. Then you control the Recast DVR via an app. Is this correct? If so, your Firestick sees your live TV source as just another app. That is why you can switch between your streamers and your live TV. I suspect if you did not have your Amazon Recast DVR system you would need to use your TV remote to switch from live TV to streaming apps.

I was hoping the Fire Stick might be better, or at least as good, but works with my tv (a Samsung).

Who knows? This is one area I think is ripe for standardization. It is a mess.

In general, newer TVs are better because there is some new communication on the HDMI port that talks to the Roku or Firestick and lets it know what capabilities it has. The device than then infer the brand and perhaps other features, giving you a good start when configuring the remote the first time. For older TVs, the remotes go through a long series of "tries" when you set it up and this can be troublesome, or tiresome for the user as you listen to music turning off and on until one sequence works.

Even different models within the brand work differently, so a Samsung of a different year, with perhaps different flavor HDMI, may not work the same as a current Samsung.

Even different models within the brand work differently, so a Samsung of a different year, with perhaps different flavor HDMI, may not work the same as a current Samsung.

This appears to be the case. My other TV, also a Samsung, works well with the Roku but it is a couple years newer. Though none of my TV’s are more than 6 years old - I know, a lifetime in electronics years.

Two things happen. The main problem is the volume control. It will work for a little while and then just stop. The other functions work, but it won’t control the sound. If I bump the sound with my tv remote, then the Roku remote work again, just don’t know for how long. It’s very sporadic.

The second thing that happens is that when I use the Roku to turn the tv on, it sends a bunch of signals to the tv. I can tell because the light that indicates on and off blinks several times. As a result, the tv turns on and off for a couple minutes until it settles in. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always settle in on the on position. This isn’t too big of a deal because I can just turn the tv on with the tv remote and then just use the Roku remote. Of course that has the sound issue - so a better option would be nice.

Maybe a universal remote that could mimic the Roku and my tv remote is an option. I’ll have to look into that.

I am just in the process of switching over from Fire TV to Roku. Amazon seems to be giving me a number of "last straw" situations. The last straw for Fire TV was that now before any video will play, I have to click past an initial advertisement. And the user interface for this via Fire TV is that I have to right arrow to the "skip past" option, and it's very difficult for me to tell where the current input focus is, i.e., if I click 'okay', is it going to play the commercial or skip past it? If I recall correctly, I have to wait a beat or two before I can right arrow to hopefully be at the point where I can skip the commercial. So in this case at least, Roku is better for playing Prime video content in that it's very easy with their interface to skip this annoying commerical. Yes, it's a little thing, but it's part and parcel with the incremental ways that IMO Amazon has been degrading the Prime experience in general while continuing to raise prices.

So I'm watching as much Prime content as I'm inclined to between now and the end of January, after which I expect I'll watch a lot more Netflix. Yes, $3/month isn't a lot (to watch advert-free after end of January), but it's the incremental way they try to force me to pay more than just torques me off. With Amazon music they substantially degraded the experience a while back, while touting the increased range of music that I can't listen to without them annoying me all the time --- they really really want you to pay them to listen to music that was originally offered as free for Prime users.

Roku has its issues too. If you use an optical connection to your audio player of choice, there's no way to control the volume/mute from the Roku remote, something that just seems really stupid to me. THAT at least the Fire TV remote gets right. I finally threw in the towel and bought a TCL branded soundbar with wireless connection to my TCL Roku TV to avoid this annoyance; I had used a "sideclick" add-on piece to the Roku remote, but always found this to be clumsy. Otherwise, Roku seems just a lot better, a lot less pressure to buy/rent stuff that I get from Fire TV.
Fire TV's interface is such that you always have to watch carefully to find just free stuff.
I guess to summarize, I just like the Roku interface a lot better, and want to disentangle myself now as much as possible from Amazon.

I will add that the 'pro' Roku remote was worth the purchase for me, as I love the ability now to plug in a set of headphones and watch without bothering anyone around me.

I'm not familiar with the Amazon Recast DVR system, however, I assume your live TV antenna connects to your Recast DVR. Then you control the Recast DVR via an app. Is this correct? If so, your Firestick sees your live TV source as just another app. That is why you can switch between your streamers and your live TV. I suspect if you did not have your Amazon Recast DVR system you would need to use your TV remote to switch from live TV to streaming apps.

Amazon Recast DVR is another reason to distrust Amazon hardware. They just abandoned that product last year:
https://www.techhive.com/article/831720/amazon-fire-tv-recast-discontinued.html

I ended up putting mine in a growing collection of no-longer-used tech hardware that I'll take to a tech recycler at some point. It was never a very good DVR, and a big part of that was that they just weren't serious about it, little or nothing in the way of firmware updates to fix various issues. My old Tivo is still a much much better experience.

I guess I'm a little bitter about Amazon as I at one point decided to go "all in" with them, thinking that their various hardware bits would tend to synergize. I see little of this, however. It appears to me that they just buy or create products in a sort of "throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks" approach. For example, they own two different companies that sell security cameras. To my knowledge theirs zero synergy between them, you pick one approach of the other.

It's been about 6 years since I first upgraded to my Roku TV. Now I have 3 of them.
Be aware if you upgraded you would not have to change inputs, the live (antenna) TV is on the home screen and when you originally scan for antenna channels it also includes hundreds of steaming antenna channels in the TV Guide which you can also sort by genre. You can add favorites, you can remove the streaming antenna channels and/or local ones that you never watch if you don't want to see them, there is so much customization on these TV's. You can also set the power to turn on the TV to the last antenna channel you were watching instead of the home screen. TCL just keeps adding more features all the time, even updating the older TV's, this one was bought in 2017. I just bought a new 65" one on Black Friday for $228, have not installed it yet though. These TV's are cheap and work well. Also many local TV network news channels from all over the country also show up in the streaming antenna channels which is great when your antenna is given you trouble.
To answer your original question, I did try a couple of Firesticks years ago and hated them they were so buggy and slow however many people swear by them so it's all a matter of preference.

Attachments

• IMG_20231231_111902331.jpg
    IMG_20231231_111902331.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231231_104501285.jpg
    IMG_20231231_104501285.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 6
I'm not familiar with the Amazon Recast DVR system . . . I suspect if you did not have your Amazon Recast DVR system you would need to use your TV remote to switch from live TV to streaming apps.

That’s possibly true. My antenna signal is going through a splitter, with one going directly into the tv and the other going into the Recast dvr. The home screen on the firestick shows several inputs that can be selected by the firestick remote, including live tv, recorded OTA programs, streaming channels including Prime Video, and saved “my stuff.” But there’s no coax input on the firestick for the live tv antenna.

I have roku, firestick, and chromecast with live tv - I always use ROKU.

Same. I thought the Chromecast with Live would be great. It wasn't. It was a slow as the Firestick.

I think this comes from the fact both Chromecast and Firestick have Andriod under the covers. Android does what it wants, which may hang up the high level apps for a while.

Roku runs on a proprietary system, so they can tune it just for one purpose: streaming TV.

It appears I’m the lone voice that actually likes the 4K firestick. It provides me a near seamless experience using just one remote. Although it is possible that it is my
Amazon Recast dvr that is providing that single interface between live ota tv, streaming programs, and recorded ota programs. Although discontinued, Amazon had reportedly promised to provide security updates to their Recast dvr through 2026.

I have not experienced the problems others have reported with the firestick. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky. I have had the 4K firestickfor 5 years without issue. I do have a non-4K roku stick connected to an hdmi input to my tv. The home screen is nicer. But I primarily stick to the firestick because it’s 4K and allows easy switching to OTA programs. Currently watching the NFL game live on Fox in beautiful 4K.

Why optical over HDMI, which is considerably better?

My previous soundbar, while good overall, didn't have an HDMI (Arc or any other type) of input, only headphone type audio jack and optical.

The one I bought only works with TCL Roku TV's, but mine is exactly that, and it was trivial to install and the volume is controlled via the TV volume in that way --- which Roku seems to assume that everyone can easily achieve.

Had multiple Roku 2 units that all died just out of warranty.

So I switched to Fire sticks and have used those ever since.

I have used all extensively

Fire stick has previews of shows and better searching of shows as well as lists shows on each app as you scroll over them. Get the latest version for fast speed, etc. i like the fire cube the best. You can rank and prioritize apps. When looking at prime shows - you get an x-ray view of characters on screen, etc. Routines and integrating into smart home (like seeing people on Ring camera), etc.

Roku beats fire stick on 3 items - (1) if you want a clutter free Home Screen, (2) if you want to mirror your iPhone (android?), Roku directly supports screen mirror, (3) easy to change to attenna

All - in all - if you want screen mirror or use attenna - choose Roku
If you want previews/recent shows as you screen over apps - choose fire stick
Clean Home Screen - Roku
Smart home integration - Fire stick (fire cube)

Back
Top Bottom