Ignoring users

Status
Not open for further replies.
What of one of these posters he so dislikes has an area of expertise that can help him greatly with his ER? Or some valuable insight about paying for HI when you retire early. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying give people a chance before you label them "not worth your time".
Thankfully there’s only one long-standing member here who I’ve semi-deliberately been borderline nasty with more than once. I regret a few of those past replies, but not all. And I just don’t take the bait nearly as often as I used to. But I’ve learned from his posts on other topics/threads before, and acknowledged same when it happens. You never know what you might learn if you’re willing to skim through less pleasant posts. So I haven’t used ignore in years. It’s easy enough to skip reading people I often disagree with, and occasionally try to defend another member if I think they’re being treated unfairly by someone I know has a history of doing so.

There are way more longstanding members here who are very bright, thoughtful and willing to share. That’s valuable to the community. And why I’ve been here for 10+ years.

But just my experience, I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do.

Last edited:
Human relationships are like the weather: incredibly random, although you know that somewhere, somehow, there's a reason for all of it :)

There are two outstandingly smart members on here (well, there are lots of those) who don't see eye to eye. But somehow, I see eye to eye with both of them, and would probably like them both in person. And their back-and-forthing (which may have been cleaned up a bit by mods) has been fairly educational.

+1 I've never put anyone on Ignore yet... though I concede that there is at least one poster that when I see his screen name I just skip to the next post as IME he doesn't have anything useful to contribute. I have a short list of Ignore List candidates if I ever decide to use that function.

I sorta do this. Quite a while back I started a thread and 2 responses, frankly, ticked me off. One of them was borderline insulting. I gave that one a brilliant, in my humble opinion, non-response response. I later got a compliment, via PM, from one of the moderators.
Life is too short. I don't feel the need to get into arguments with posters, here. And if I even know of a member whose posts would irk me, I'd just skim the comment and move on to the next one.

Thanks for everyone’s input! I agree with what most are saying, and yes, could just skim through the posts of those that seem to just be contrary to be contrary (or provoke response), but as someone else pointed out... why? There’s a forum tool to help me do just that, since I wouldn’t be reading it anyway.

There are a lot of members here (smart, already retired and “doing it”) so I’m sure I’ll be learning from in the future, and sure look forward to it!! [emoji16]

Mr Sensitive
(Maybe I can change my user name? [emoji23])

I am (relatively) new on this site. Is there a way to ignore certain users [-]so you don’t have to read or see there obviously biased or demeaning posts[/-]?[-] I read the forum rules, and understand the mods try to deal with these situations, but from the closed threads I’ve seen it seems to happen a lot faster on one side of the spectrum than the other. Thanks in advance for pointing out how to do this easily as I’m sure I’m just overlooking something.

Also, I hope to get a respectful reply, not smart-a responses, although once I learn the process it will allow me to start the ignore list more quickly... [emoji23][/-]

I'm guessing this topic wouldn't have generated 80+ replies had only the above text been posted. It would have been sufficient. And not demeaning. :hide:

I'm guessing this topic wouldn't have generated 80+ replies had only the above text been posted. It would have been sufficient. And not demeaning. :hide:

And I suspect you'd miss your guess. Just guessing ;-)

Over the years, I've found that I appreciate being put on the ignore list by others, the more the better. It lessens the number of hostile/angry posts directed towards me and my postings. :)

And I suspect you'd miss your guess. Just guessing ;-)

No I think it's spot on...I imagine a mod or long time user would have answered and that would be the end of it. IMO it was pretty troll like.

I have used the "ignore" feature before. The thing is, curiosity usually made me peek at posts of people on my ignore list anyway. So I don't have anyone on ignore anymore. And I kept the habit of reading every post acquired from my stint as a moderator (those poor souls can't ignore any content or any poster).

Last edited:
It takes time to know people and appreciate them. There is one particular person here who made a huge negative first impression with me. But, over the years, he/she is now somebody whose opinion I value, even if I end up disagreeing with it. I'm glad I was not quick to use the ignore button.

"I reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday" - Konrad Adenauer.

I have used the "ignore" feature before. The thing is, curiosity usually made me peek at posts of people on my ignore list anyway. So I don't have anyone on ignore anymore. And I kept the habit of reading every post acquired from my stint as a moderator (those poor souls can't ignore any content or any poster).

The reality is, even the peeps you put on "ignore" 99.9% of the time will say something completely innocuous and unrelated to any reason to put them on "ignore." It's OK to hit "view" , scan, and you'll probably just see a general statement or logical follow-on to the general thread anyway.

The button I use the most when somebody posts something nonsensical is the Delete button at the bottom of the Edit window.

Last edited:
The button I use the most when somebody posts something nonsensical is the Delete button at the bottom of the Edit window.

:LOL: sometimes I hit it even before that! Life lesson for me: the world does not really need to hear my opinion about every little thing

It takes time to know people and appreciate them. There is one particular person here who made a huge negative first impression with me. But, over the years, he/she is now somebody whose opinion I value, even if I end up disagreeing with it. I'm glad I was not quick to use the ignore button.

"I reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday" - Konrad Adenauer.
One of my first encounters with one prolific member here 10 years ago was a horrible disagreement, I don't even remember what it was about. But she turned out to be one of the members here I admire most. You never know.

:LOL: sometimes I hit it even before that! Life lesson for me: the world does not really need to hear my opinion about every little thing
Yep. I often wonder about folks who post on threads they're clearly not interested in to begin with. Amusing, but nothing serious usually.

I always liked the saying "You don't have to attend every argument you've been invited to".

Now, let's argue about ending a sentence with a preposition! :LOL:

Lol I use the x at the top right corner of the page. And get up and walk away!

I felt special when on another thread right after I posted a comment one of the moderators posted instructions on how to use the "ignore" feature. :)

Having spent my entire career in sales and construction I see no need for an ignore feature. Being thin skinned is not an attribute. I really value all opinions. Even the one's I argue with. How else does someone grow?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom