Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is this a discussion forum, or a soapbox/blog?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,327
Is this a discussion forum, or a soapbox/blog?

Honest question. I've noticed some posters lately have been putting up new threads that state their opinion on some subject (usually political). That's fine, but then they have no interest in actually discussing the topic. They respond with something like 'I can say what want', and ' don't read my posts if you don't like them', etc.

I don't think that is the intent of this forum, and certainly not why I come here. I thought this was a discussion forum. And I might start reading a thread, and responding, not realizing that it is not a discussion thread, and it just wastes my time.

I think that if someone wants to post something that they wish to share, but do not wish to discuss, they should take this approach:

1) Get your own blog. Post what you wish.

2) If posting here, at least preface the title with something descriptive, like 'JMO - NO DEBATE: <grumble, grumble, grumble, insert topic de jour here>'. At least I'd know up front.

Any input from the forum members, owners and/or moderators?

TIA -ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,156
..
__________________

__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
' don't read my posts if you don't like them', etc.
I honor their request by adding them to my "Ignore Poster" list...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I honor their request by adding them to my "Ignore Poster" list...
That is fine for some, but I prefer not to use the 'ignore' feature.

Maybe there is a bit of the perennial optimist buried deep inside this cynical old guy, but I have found that occasionally, even people who appear to have nothing to offer come up with a gem of wisdom. Or sometimes, a poster seems unreasonable to me on one subject, but may be expert in other subjects. I can't selectively ignore, other than a quick scan of the thread.

Sometimes, I just like to see how their minds work (or don't work, depending on your view).

Just seems to me that if someone feels strong enough about something to start a thread on it, they ought to feel strongly enough to defend their position against challenges.

Why clutter the forum with statements of faith? I can get those all over the internet. Plenty of people out there to support any position I take, and tell me how smart I am for agreeing with them.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,156
..
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,377
I find it interesting that I saw a clip about Colbert running for President last night.... and I belive it was in one of those clips that I heard someone say something like...

"Forget the facts, the facts can change... my OPINION will not change"... (my emphasis)... thought it was a hoot...

Like others, I have some very strong opinions and will not change them very easily without some major 2X4 hits on the cranium... but it does not mean that I don't enjoy reading someone else's thoughts.
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That is fine for some, but I prefer not to use the 'ignore' feature.

Maybe there is a bit of the perennial optimist buried deep inside this cynical old guy, but I have found that occasionally, even people who appear to have nothing to offer come up with a gem of wisdom. Or sometimes, a poster seems unreasonable to me on one subject, but may be expert in other subjects. I can't selectively ignore, other than a quick scan of the thread...
Most of the time the ugly comes out in the political or religious threads.

Someone can offer good info in an ER-related thread but get hostile and make a lot of enemies in the political/religious threads.

That's why I keep asking for an "make invisible ignore thread" feature, but apparently it can't or won't be done.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
That's why I keep asking for an "make invisible ignore thread" feature, but apparently it can't or won't be done.
I hear that. And it was just painful while glancing at updated threads to see which ones I felt like reading to keep seeing the Armeinen (sp) thing is Well nuts thread title. When someone doesn't give a lot of thought into spelling and grammar on the title of a political thread, you can be pretty sure they won't give a lot of thought into someone else's opinion.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 21,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
When someone doesn't give a lot of thought into spelling and grammar on the title of a political thread, you can be pretty sure they won't give a lot of thought into someone else's opinion.
A long time ago we had some grammar/spelling gurus but I think the job became overwhelming. Spelling well or even understanding what word to use doesn’t appear to be highly correlated with putting together enough assets or income to ER.

Ha
__________________
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,156
..
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,327
Maybe, but before we could tackle whether it is enforceable or not, we need to know if it is acceptable or not.

If the owners, admins, and moderators feel that it is acceptable for people to use the forum as their own personal blog space, then there is no issue of enforcement, as there is no violation.

I'd bet that a few reports, and a few deleted threads, or warnings to those that are posting but refuse to engage in debate would clear some clutter out of the forum pretty quickly.

But only if the powers-that-be see it that way.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,211
Well, I did correct the spelling of Armenian.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 3,419
Spelling. Those who spell well seem to look down their noses at those who don't. If ever there were snobs, it is those that spell well.

I don't! Never have. It's not that I don't want to, I have read every book, method, and theory. I still can't spell!

Spell checkers help. I never, misspell a word on purpose, and I doubt others do either. I re-read my post to see if they make since and if the spelling is OK. The problem is, if I spell a word wrong, other than maybe a typo, it is how I think it should be spelled. Proof reading ones own work for a poor speller is a very difficult thing. In college I had my roommate proof my papers. Now spell check and DW. So, HaHa/Running Bum, from your post are we to conclude, if a person can't spell or use proper grammar, his opinions just don't count?

Yep, you hit a nerve!
__________________
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe, but before we could tackle whether it is enforceable or not, we need to know if it is acceptable or not.

If the owners, admins, and moderators feel that it is acceptable for people to use the forum as their own personal blog space, then there is no issue of enforcement, as there is no violation.

I'd bet that a few reports, and a few deleted threads, or warnings to those that are posting but refuse to engage in debate would clear some clutter out of the forum pretty quickly.

But only if the powers-that-be see it that way.

-ERD50
I understand your frustration, but it's probably not practical to institute a rule on this. Some people apparently believe that continually re-stating unsupported opinions is somehow constructive. If they haven't developed the tools to have a constructive dialog by the time they are on this board and considering ER, there's not much chance that they'll develop the habit here.

But, hey, it is still a "win" when a thoughtful poster takes the time to develop a point: A lot of people read it and learn from it even if the OP doesn't respond. The silence of the OP (or worse, their failure to put forward a strong reply) speaks volumes concerning the likely validity of their position.

My personal challenge: Learning when to just ignore posted items with which I disagree.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,890
Sounds like someone doesn't like the way other children are playing at recess and wants the princiapl to do something about it. Maybe whining really loudly will help.

Oh yeah: I can spell pretty well. I just cannot type.
__________________
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."


- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

The silence of the OP (or worse, their failure to put forward a strong reply) speaks volumes concerning the likely validity of their position.

My personal challenge: Learning when to just ignore posted items with which I disagree.
Agree , and it is a challenge for me also. The old 'a lie, repeated enough and left unchallenged becomes accepted as truth' effect makes it hard to just ignore some things. But I should try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't like the way other children are playing at recess and wants the princiapl to do something about it. Maybe whining really loudly will help.
Well, read it that way if you want. I thought it was an attempt at being constructive, and improving the signal/noise ratio around here.

Hey, it's the 'princiapl' of the thing, you know.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 16,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Well, I did correct the spelling of Armenian.
Oh.... I thought it was supposed to be another post about 'Armageddon'...

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A long time ago we had some grammar/spelling gurus but I think the job became overwhelming. Spelling well or even understanding what word to use doesn’t appear to be highly correlated with putting together enough assets or income to ER.

Ha
Spllenig is not taht ipmrotnat. Olny the frsit and lsat ltteer need to be in the rgiht palce.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Spelling. Those who spell well seem to look down their noses at those who don't. If ever there were snobs, it is those that spell well.

I don't! Never have. It's not that I don't want to, I have read every book, method, and theory. I still can't spell!

Spell checkers help. I never, misspell a word on purpose, and I doubt others do either. I re-read my post to see if they make since and if the spelling is OK. The problem is, if I spell a word wrong, other than maybe a typo, it is how I think it should be spelled. Proof reading ones own work for a poor speller is a very difficult thing. In college I had my roommate proof my papers. Now spell check and DW. So, HaHa/Running Bum, from your post are we to conclude, if a person can't spell or use proper grammar, his opinions just don't count?

Yep, you hit a nerve!
Nope. I make spelling errors and typos myself. I proofread to try to catch them but don't use spellcheck or obsess over it.

What gets me is people who type on forums as if they are in a chat room or IMing someone. If more than one or two people are going to read something, have the courtesy to make an effort to write coherently. Can they not even take the time to make a thread title readable That just seems selfish to me, and lazy.

You, on the other hand, are putting forth the effort to make posts readable and I appreciate that.

I try to be tolerant of people who have learned English as a second language. I'm pretty sure that's not the case of the author of the thread I was talking about.

I used to work with someone who abbreviated all kinds of words in emails. should=shd for example. So not only did I have to try to understand the technical content of the email, I first had to decode the words. I asked him to spell words out, and he told me to just ask him about any word I couldn't make out. Like that is no burden on me. Eventually he got canned because he was as lazy about all of his work as he was his emails. So I do see some correlation with how someone writes and how they really are. And no, I wasn't the one who fired him, and in fact I saved his job the first time they were going to give him the axe.

So no, I'm probably not likely to read something here where the poster couldn't be bothered to make it readable. So I guess their opinion doesn't count with me.

Did someone say something about hitting a nerve?

Sorry to venture somewhat off-topic, I know the original poster was concerned with content, not presentation.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Why can't the forum be both?

You can look at the same set of facts and come to two totally different conclusions, if you accept that as a part of life than it will be easier to be ok w/ some of the convos we have around here.

Do we have to defend every opinion we have with reams of data and links? That is unfun.

I think it is more about keeping it civil and knowing when to walk away, decide to disagree or raise the white flag.
__________________

__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Longevity discussion Spanky Health and Early Retirement 26 05-21-2007 02:50 PM
The Bogle Blog Cool Dood FIRE and Money 12 06-07-2006 05:37 PM
Another discussion of ss reform sgeeeee Other topics 6 02-05-2005 04:58 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.