Search operators?

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have scoured the forum for info regarding how to do a search that uses things like boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) to get more precise search results, but I'm coming up empty. Is there any way to do a boolean search of e-r.org using the site's search function?

Here is my specific use case. I want to find all threads where both the words MAGI and IRA appear. When I enter both of those words into the search field, I get nearly 8,000 results, because it shows all threads containing either one or both of the words. This isn't very helpful due to the huge number of search results I'd have to wade through. I get exactly the same results when entering the following:
MAGI IRA
MAGI AND IRA
MAGI +IRA

I have scoured the forum for info regarding how to do a search that uses things like boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) to get more precise search results, but I'm coming up empty. Is there any way to do a boolean search of e-r.org using the site's search function?

Here is my specific use case. I want to find all threads where both the words MAGI and IRA appear. When I enter both of those words into the search field, I get nearly 8,000 results, because it shows all threads containing either one or both of the words. This isn't very helpful due to the huge number of search results I'd have to wade through. I get exactly the same results when entering the following:
MAGI IRA
MAGI AND IRA
MAGI +IRA

Google's search might do it (wealth of info on their search processing operators), as you can specify site:early-retirement.org at the end of any search string.

You can use advance search also (use settings icon in the upper right, and then select Advanced Search):

https://www.google.com/advanced_sea...-retirement.org&espv=2&biw=1527&bih=823&hl=en

Last edited:
Just go to Google and enter this:

site:early-retirement.org MAGI AND IRA

Just go to Google and enter this:

site:early-retirement.org MAGI AND IRA

You don't even have to go to Goggle, it's already on the screen for you on the right-hand side at the top of the page:

Attachments

• ER_screen.JPG
    ER_screen.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 14
I assumed the OP was using the blue skin, which doesn't have that box.

The native forum search is a keyword only search. As noted googles search will be more robust ;)

Thanks all. Appreciate the helpful advice! This is exactly what I needed to know.

Back
Top Bottom