Join Early Retirement Today

Do Fractions of Years Work in FIRECalc?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Do Fractions of Years Work in FIRECalc?

I tried inputting years in other than whole numbers (e.g. using 2013.5 for a retirement date of 6/30/2013). FIRECalc seems to accept this and run the calculation, but can anyone confirm that it works as intended while including fractions of years?
TorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If I recall correctly, FIRECalc looks only at whole years and assumes a January 1 date.

Since FIRECalc is only an indicator/guide this shouldn't be a big deal. Besides, if you need a fraction of a year to get to an acceptable FIRECalc success percentage you probably need to keep working for a while or reduce your planned withdrawal rate.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Still got my nose to the grindstone...

Yeah, I already have decided to press on for 2 or 3 more years before retiring, especially given the current collection of strange influences on the economy. Trouble is that FIRECalc suggests I might just make it if I pulled the plug right now.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by my little test. If I add the fractions to the whole years, FIRECalc seems to do what you'd expect when compared to the result just using the whole numbers - a "middle" of the year calculation results in larger high end and average $$'s than the whole year, and less than the values when using the next whole year.

Once an engineer, always an engineer I guess.
TorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorC View Post
Once an engineer, always an engineer I guess.
Some might say you were attempting to use a micrometer to measure something designed to be cut with an axe. Not me, of course...