Question on minimum ending balance = starting balance

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
One thing I don't understand about FireCalc is this: If I do a run with a portfolio value of $2M, it is says the lowest and highest values are $2M and something like $27M, and some average in between. It is a little fishy to me that the lower number is always the starting number. Is that a bug?

One thing I don't understand about FireCalc is this: If I do a run with a portfolio value of $2M, it is says the lowest and highest values are $2M and something like $27M, and some average in between. It is a little fishy to me that the lower number is always the starting number. Is that a bug?

Thank you for asking this....I noticed that too.....not sure if it's a bug

What other inputs are you using?

I just ran FIRECalc changing the portfolio value to $2M and spending to $80,000/yr, with no other changes to any inputs on any of the tabs. This is the results I got:

FIRECalc looked at the 117 possible 30 year periods in the available data, starting with a portfolio of $2,000,000 and spending your specified amounts each year thereafter.

Here is how your portfolio would have fared in each of the 117 cycles. The lowest and highest portfolio balance at the end of your retirement was $-801,972 to $11,358,949, with an average at the end of $3,698,915.

Note: I'm going to ask the mods to move this "bug" discussion to the FIRECalc support forum.

Back
Top Bottom