<1 carbs: What does this mean?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I check carbs alot on boxes, so what does it mean when it says <1?

I believe that is just a less than sign, meaning less than 1 carb.

OK...that's what I figured. Some college honors student, eh?

Here's a reference 4 U...

Taking a Closer Look at the Label - Nutrition & Recipes - American Diabetes Association

As a diabetic (T2), carb intake is extremely import to me. I'm looking for anything over 5 (if it's less than that, it's considered a "free food" - for example a tblspoon of mustard).

The product distributor is required to list carbs (along with other info) by law. What it means in this case is "don't worry about it" :cool: ...

- Ron

"Men's Health" has a great and looong article on diabetes this month, so take a look. It is written by a thin guy who got it, thin father died from it painfully, thin grandfather had it..well, you get the picture. Article explains much.
Runs in my family, too, so I am always on the alert for signs. I do not want it. I have seen the destruction it causes. Bad News City to have diabetes, and something to really be careful with.
But, of course, you know that.

If I forgot what <1 means, can Sr. citizenship be far behind with that kind of brain fart? Scary....(shudder).

Last edited:
Runs in my family, too, so I am always on the alert for signs. I do not want it. I have seen the destruction it causes. Bad News City to have diabetes, and something to really be careful with.

I have been told by a few of my Drs. that diabetes was the worst desease to have. Most illnesses kill you or you get better (like being changed into a newt). Diabetes just keeps whittling away at you forever.

Mike D. (former type 1 diabetic)

My mother developed diabetes in her early 50s; insulin dependent and 'brittle'; she was on first name terms with the local paramedics.

I'm very glad for the post retirement weight loss, as obesity is a cause/trigger.

If you are doing Atkins, count 1g of carb, because it has "some" carbs in it. You should only count it as 0g if it specifically says 0g.

For the rest of us, like rs0460a says, its probably pretty much a free food.

FWIW

R

My uncle had diabetes. A 6' 2" tall lanky guy who was first a Marine in WWII and then rode on battleships as a merchant marine. This was one tough guy until he got diabetes. Lost both legs. Lost his eyesight. Lost feeling in his fingers. Became totally depressed over the 10-12 years of slow negative progression. Found dead in his wheelchair on his porch. We think he shot himself up with too much insulin as he didn't want to live any longer.
Also, my half-brother was borderline for at least 10 years. He was 5'8", 230, didn't exercise and just keep pigging out. Then it hit. He is half-there mentally now, and cannot drive at night in the city he was raised in as he forgets where he is. This from a guy with a superior i.q.
My grandmother had it, too.
Like I said, it is just not something I would jack around about. Take diabetes warnings--even if it is only borderline warnings--seriously.

Yeah, I agree with you. You have to take it seriously. I did Atkins a few years back and when I was doing it properly I felt very good. While my blood sugar counts and HbA1c always come back well within the normal range, I always feel awful after a meal that is too carb heavy, especially if it is highly processed carb. I seem to be OK with veggies, fruits, beans, and a little whole wheat bread, but if I have a white bread sandwich for lunch, or pasta or white rice, I'm crashing sometime between 3pm & 4pm. I hate that feeling, so I try to watch my carbs pretty closely as well. I can't wait until FIRE so I can control my food a little better...12-14 hour megacorp days make that a very hard thing to do. Right now I am making an effort on weekends to prepare a bit for the upcoming week.

R

especially if it is highly processed carb

That's the issue, as I understand it. That's why I don't like the nutrition labels - just 'carbs', no breakdown of complex versus refined.

I'm not diabetic, or an Atkins fan, so I just try to limit the refined carbohydrates. One thing I do, is just look at the calories and compare to the amount of fiber. For every 100 calories, I look for about 2 grams of fiber - seems like a decent guideline, but I don't know.

-ERD50

That's the issue, as I understand it. That's why I don't like the nutrition labels - just 'carbs', no breakdown of complex versus refined.

I'm not diabetic, or an Atkins fan, so I just try to limit the refined carbohydrates. One thing I do, is just look at the calories and compare to the amount of fiber. For every 100 calories, I look for about 2 grams of fiber - seems like a decent guideline, but I don't know.

-ERD50

The carb info should also include sugar and fiber, which will help distinguish somewhat. And check the ingredients for non-whole grain flours or meals, and for HFC (high-fructose corn syrup).

-ERD50

2 grams of fiber/100cal would give you about 40g of fiber per day (at 2000 cal/day). That is a pretty good level of fiber intake and much higher than the recommended minimums from the FDA. However the minimums are said to be way too low by some, and I would agree. I've always been a little heavy on the fiber but still ended up with diverticulitis, so I am going even heavier now.

If you use a distribution of 30% fat cal, 20% protein, and 50% carb, then you would end up with 250 gm total carb, of which 40 was fiber, or only 210 digestible carbs, a 5.25:1 ratio of digestible:non-digestible. Sounds like a good ratio to me...

FWIW, the more fiber in the food, the slower the carb digestion and insulin response, and therefore less likelyhood of a sugar crash or hypoglycemic reaction.

R

Back
Top Bottom