78.7 ????????? Really!

Floridatennisplayer

Recycles dryer sheets
I was having lunch today with one of my endocrinology offices and I heard one of the physicians say how she was telling a patient that the average life expectancy in the United States for a male is 78.7 years. I thought that seems low so we googled it and she’s right!

Dang, I might need to pull the retirement parachute now instead of in March! I’m running out of time! I thought it was near 82.

But since most of us live in (or near) Lake Wobegon, we're all above average.

maybe that's for a newborn? As you age the number goes up.

What is really of interest is not the "average male" life expectancy, but the life expectancy of the "average male [your age]". That will be a different, and higher, number.

This cuts out all the guys who had heart attacks at 40, died in car crashes, or got bit by snakes and died.

Last edited:
Dang, I might need to pull the retirement parachute now instead of in March! I’m running out of time! I thought it was near 82.

that may be the life expectancy for a male newborn in 2018.

the older you get the longer you are expected to live (life expectancy)

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.3.

To live another 20 years does not sound that bad, but time goes by a lot faster when you are old.

And then, a lot of that time near the end is spent in doctor's offices, if not in hospital. Not quality time.

The youngin's who want to retire at 30 and 40 are on to something.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.3.
And, according to the disclaimer in the calculator

The estimates of additional life expectancy do not take into account a wide number of factors such as current health, lifestyle, and family history that could increase or decrease life expectancy.

The statistics used to build that mortality table include all Americans, regardless of health. In particular, people living in hospices, or nursing homes, or at home with a doctor's warning that they'll probably die in the next six months, etc. are included.

A table that excluded those people would show a higher life expectancy.

Life expectancy numbers are very hard to interpret because the distribution of deaths by age is never stated and it changes over time. For example, in ancient times there was very high infant mortality, then a low death rate, then death from old age. The calculated "life expectancy" then ended up at maybe 45, which is between the two humps of the death rate distribution. It really meant nothing.

For example, in ancient times there was very high infant mortality, then a low death rate, then death from old age. .

have you compared mortality rates between now and then?

my guess is that the old rates are higher at ALL ages

When I was born in 1936 my life expectancy was 61 years
Today at 82, my life expectancy is 89 years.
If I were 65 my life expectancy would be 82 years.

Really!

The thought of dying doesn't bother me; I just don't want to be there when it happens.

-- Woody Allen

I have run many life expectancy calculators, both for myself, and for my parents. I had projected that my dad would make it to 83, and my mom to 88 (myself to 78, or to 92
for those that considered lifestyle factors). My mom passed away at 81.5, and my dad just turned 82, and is going strong. The thing to remember about these are that they are statistical averages, based (usually) solely on your age and sex. Most of us here aren't average.

For sound Financial Planning purposes, you should really plan on living to age 100..... You probably won't, but you don't want to run out of money if you happen to beat the odds....Delaying S.S. to age 70 is a good strategy for this...

I was having lunch today with one of my endocrinology offices and I heard one of the physicians say how she was telling a patient that the average life expectancy in the United States for a male is 78.7 years. I thought that seems low so we googled it and she’s right!

That is at birth. For someone further along, his attained age at death will be much higher than that on average.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom