A Reminder

The balance of work, which is a necessity after all, together with ones non work life seems to change as one ages. We can't get back those years or those experiences missed, but if we don't know out terminal date we have to sacrifice to plan for the future.

I want the best of both worlds. A long healthy life and to drive with the top down in January.

A great story. Far too many people feel like they will go on forever. The fact is, when you start to decline, it is rather quick. People can feel great at 65, and at 70 feel like they are 90.

A small illness or broken bone can put you permanently out of commission and being able to do what you were previously able to do with little effort.

Of course, quitting too early leads to a depressed lifestyle. Doing too much earlier leads to a longer working life.

The best thing you can do is keep healthy and bail out of the rat race when you are able.

The best thing you can do is keep healthy and bail out of the rat race when you are able.

Agreed. Looking back I was never one to go to heroic measures at work (except when in the Navy). I really hate to see when co-workers volunteer for assignments that take time away from their kids. :(

I had three major career transitions where I voluntarily took major pay cuts to improve non-work life (left shift work, excessive travel and a deteriorating work environment). It may run counter to "save as much as possible and retire as early as possible" but so far, so good. Perhaps it should be "save as much as possible and have good options." :)

As Peter Lynch said, "no one on their death bed ever wished they spent more time at the office."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom