Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Hmm, well I chose a PPO that looked like the same one as my old zip code (Premera multi state 3000 blue cross blue shield). I am thinking the network would be the same as there is no indication it is a different insurance plan, just a larger subsidy is being provided by the exchange ($650 vs $450) for simply being in a different zip code.
My test was the same plan, but when I looked for hospitals and used the new zip, it came up with different hospitals. I will run it again to see if it had a mileage setting that limited it. The difference was huge even just below the cliff with the subsidy (subsidy doubled).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
My test was the same plan, but when I looked for hospitals and used the new zip, it came up with different hospitals. I will run it again to see if it had a mileage setting that limited it. The difference was huge even just below the cliff with the subsidy (subsidy doubled).
there was a mileage limiting list box that was off the screen when I checked first. This one looks like it will cover at other locations around here.
Now.... would I really want to move there? We actually were looking at buying land there. hmmmm.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #23

I am not seeing any difference in the plans...the benefit link actually looks the same when examining the same Premera plan from the different zip codes. It might be worth a call to Premera to verify this is true.

My wife just asked a good question. If you do not have a home without wheels, are you not really just considered homeless? The homeless are allowed to have insurance, vote, etc. How do they do it?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Keep in mind that the "location advantage" only last to age 65. Once you are eligible for Medicare most of these private insurance pricing and policy differences disappear.
I have not found this^^ to be the case. When I was recently shopping for age 65 Medigap (supplemental) coverage, there were all sorts of differences depending on your home location. Some plans simply weren't offered at my 'snowbird' address. And I noticed pricing changes as I played with various zip codes.

omni
Old 11-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
just checked our county and surrounding counties in indiana - only about a $5 per mo. swing among them - urban/suburban slightly less costly than rural counties it appears

Which county in Indiana ? Healthcare in that state seems way more expensive vs other areas of the USA. Guess more Medicaid enrolled or just fewer service providers.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there a data dump or xls file with all plan premiums by zip code? Find the zip with the most expensive 2nd lowest cost silver plan and that will maximize your subsidy on all other plans.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Is there a data dump or xls file with all plan premiums by zip code?
Data for developers and researchers. Plans are priced by county.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-an...s-and-issuers/
Old 11-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

From the 2014 data at https://data.healthcare.gov/dataset/...Data/yaaf-rjhy I'm finding the Georgia counties of Baker, Calhoun, Clay, Crisp, Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, Randolph, Schley, Sumter, Terrell, and Worth to have the highest SLCSP.

* edited that this is 2014 data
Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
As a fan of living coastal - it sounds good to me. And it doesn't look like *that* long of a drive to go to Oregon and buy big ticket things without sales tax.
Yes, from Long Beach go over the Astoria Megler Bridge and it's a short drive to Costco. If you have PX privileges I understand they have an excellent liquor store in Astoria.

Watch your driving in Astoria. I swear that local law enforcement has their own "sales tax".

Another advantage: Pacific County doesn't have auto emissions testing.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Can't the exchanges switch it up again next year and every year? Might you be moving every twelve months for the lower premium or better coverage?
Old 11-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Can't the exchanges switch it up again next year and every year? Might you be moving every twelve months for the lower premium or better coverage?
I think it might be based on where you can get access to healthcare without a drive. It is probably unlikely they will build a big medical center in the Long Beach area since the population density is really low. Thus it may be likely they always have a bigger subsidy than other places in the state.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Odds are Pacific County residents utilize Astoria health care providers. On a side note: Life Flight insurance would be a wise add-on.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Data for developers and researchers. Plans are priced by county.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-an...s-and-issuers/
Maximum subsidy for a 60 year old couple is in Alaska. The second lowest cost silver plan is $3,054 per month, which equates to a subsidy of almost $36,000 per year for those with a very low AGI.

The smallest subsidy for a 60 y.o. couple is in Indiana in Clark and Howard counties at $800 per month ($9600/yr).
Old 11-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I have not found this^^ to be the case. When I was recently shopping for age 65 Medigap (supplemental) coverage, there were all sorts of differences depending on your home location. Some plans simply weren't offered at my 'snowbird' address. And I noticed pricing changes as I played with various zip codes.

omni
Yes, you are right, even with MediGap there are differences in premium and policy availability. I think the ACA policy issues are an order of magnitude more difficult to deal with. No matter what your age or where you live, health insurance is a neverending challenge.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Fermion, please let us know what you find out about WA, Ocean Shores, residency, etc. We are considering Ocean Shores and Anderson Island in WA as places to buy a lot to build on later. We also will own no land anywhere else. We will also be getting an ACA plan sometime next year, so I am very interested in how it works out for you and what they tell you about changing residency, etc. Thanks! I had not checked out the ACA plans for both places but will now! Thanks!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #36

Hi Diver,

One caution on Ocean Shores lots. Doing some further research I found out Eric Estrada was a spokesman for some big land deal there a few years back which suckered in a lot of 'investors'. Essentially things were priced up to 3 or 4 times the regular value and they had auctions at places like the Sheridan (where I normally think of timeshares and self help gurus).

The city stepped in and decided to pave all of the roads and install a sewer system, and they assessed the lots $5000 to $10,000 each for this. A lot of people who had purchased several of the overpriced lots were then facing this huge extra bill. Hundreds were just let go into tax foreclosure.

When you are looking for lots, make sure the LIDS and SIDS have been paid off before you buy, or buy cheaper knowing you have to pay these. These are the assessments that were made.

With all of that said, it does look like you can get a small quarter acre lot for $10,000 which sold for $40,000+ a few years ago. Hopefully the city doesn't decide they need new street lights or something in the future.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, Fermion! That is very helpful info for us. I will be careful as we keep looking. I did see that some lots mentioned that either/or LIDS or SIDS were paid or unpaid, and some mentioned nothing. I did not even know what it was (!), but knew it was something to check out before we got too serious. Thanks for filling us in! Really appreciate it. It's a small world sometimes, isn't it? Gotta love this forum...
Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind the fact that Long Beach (WA), Ocean Shores and Salashan are sand spits subject to the vagaries of the sea. Properties on the eastern shore of their bays high enough to see the ocean waves may be better long term homesites.

My husband won a design competition for a place at the end of the Salishan spit. What won the day was that it was 3 separate buildings connected by wind screens - flood insurance is a per-building policy at the time.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Indiana healthcare costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Which county in Indiana ? Healthcare in that state seems way more expensive vs other areas of the USA. Guess more Medicaid enrolled or just fewer service providers.
The counties surrounding Indianapolis are relatively cheap than other counties in Indiana - i.e., if you go up to the northeast corner of Indiana the cost runs $200+ more per month.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
...My wife just asked a good question. If you do not have a home without wheels, are you not really just considered homeless? The homeless are allowed to have insurance, vote, etc. How do they do it?
Many full-time RV'ers register their vehicles and themselves in South Dakota. To do that, all you have to show is that you have been in the state for 24 hours. A motel receipt or even an RV campground receipt will do to get you a SD driver license and registration for your vehicles. For an address, people rent a mail box service, which also does mail forwarding for you. So, you have an address and are not homeless. I don't know what they do for health insurance coverage.

Happy voting in SD state election.