ACA Rate Increases For 2019

For 2019, my ACA plan will go up about 4% (Bronze HSA plan with BCBS of Alabama).

I found these rate submissions by BC/BS for Florida for 2019. They range from -2.37% to 7.37%. That is very encouraging!

Final rates not listed yet - that I am aware of.

Attachments

• Healthcare_ Florida Rate Review Submissions.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 18
Looks like BCBS-AZ will have little or no increase for 2019. The two other carriers in AZ are expected to decrease their rates from 5-18%. The article I read stated that BCBS-AZ likely would have dropped their rates close to 13% if the ACA mandate wasn't repealed.

I found these rate submissions by BC/BS for Florida for 2019. They range from -2.37% to 7.37%. That is very encouraging!

Yes, encouraging. Blue Options +2.3%

I have BlueOptions, and that 2.3% increase is probably the lowest I have ever seen on an individual policy. It had to be 2019, when I no longer will use an individual plan, so I won’t enjoy it (its Medicare for me). Still, should that be the increase, I’m happy for the policyholders.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but as someone who is considering retiring in the next 3-4 years, is there a place where one can get an estimate of the cost for a plan in our state without going through the application process?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but as someone who is considering retiring in the next 3-4 years, is there a place where one can get an estimate of the cost for a plan in our state without going through the application process?

You can get an estimate at the Kaiser Family Foundation Calculator. The premiums shown are based on the current year rates (I think) and do not include the rate increases for this fall that are being discussed in this thread. :)

Edit to add: The calculator is also helpful for evaluating ACA subsidies at various MAGI levels.

Last edited:
Link to article in today's WSJ about much lower ACA rate increases and even some decreases......

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/print/WSJ_-A003-20180802.pdf

Thanks for the info...

I think the increases have slowed or even reversed a bit is that the insurers now know the population they have to deal with... and what they will be able to get from the gvmt... the previous few years were a crap shoot and some got it really really wrong...

One of the benefits that has happened is that now the second lowest silver plan is priced more in line with the costs... so the credit is now more realistic... I hated some of the games that were being played by limiting the number of visits to the doc that was covered with a co-pay to 2 or 3... and jacking up the deductible and OOP as high as they could...

The one thing that I HOPE is that the networks get better... I had to change PCP and it took me half a day calling up Drs and finding if they took my insurance... most stopped or had changed groups etc. etc... it was a nightmare as the insurance company has ZERO incentive to get their online list of Drs correct as it makes it look like they have plenty of Drs in plan and around you...

BTW, our old PCP was in a group that got bought, she was flooded by the hurricane and then decided to quit the group.... but the new group said they were going to take the insurance and I even went in at my co-pay amount early this year but then decided not to sign up...

healthsherpa.com is a good place to start

No application or personal info required:
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/
2018 plans only

You can get an estimate at the Kaiser Family Foundation Calculator. The premiums shown are based on the current year rates (I think) and do not include the rate increases for this fall that are being discussed in this thread. :)

Edit to add: The calculator is also helpful for evaluating ACA subsidies at various MAGI levels.

Thank you both. Very helpful.

Great news, just need about 2 more years of ACA and then DW and I will both be on Medicare.

IIRC you manage your MAGI for ACA subsidies. I still got 7 more years. :(

I'm not so sure it has stabilized. What happens when the young healthy people bail out?

Some of the insurance companies are factoring those changes into their 2019 rates. From what I read BCBS-AZ rates would have been ~13% lower for 2019 if the mandate wasn't repealed. From BCBS-AZ:

From 2018 to 2019, we [BCBSAZ] expect that the market membership will decrease due to the weakening of the individual mandate and the proposed changes to Short Term Limited Duration policies. Both CBO and the CMS Office of the Actuary have indicated that these changes will result in some of the “healthier” individuals leaving the IU65 market in 2019, and have quantified the impact of the loss of these members to the premium rates.

I have BlueOptions, and that 2.3% increase is probably the lowest I have ever seen on an individual policy. It had to be 2019, when I no longer will use an individual plan, so I won’t enjoy it (its Medicare for me). Still, should that be the increase, I’m happy for the policyholders.

Thank you - that hopefully will be us!!!

A thought about MAGI. Does ROTH income, although not taxable, go towards MAGI? We purposely have 50% of our Nestegg in Non Qualified (Post Tax) funds. Any shortfalls till DW is on Medicare get taken from there. OK we will get taxed eventually when we take from our IRAs and 427bs down the road, but them's the apples.

A thought about MAGI. Does ROTH income, although not taxable, go towards MAGI? We purposely have 50% of our Nestegg in Non Qualified (Post Tax) funds. Any shortfalls till DW is on Medicare get taken from there. OK we will get taxed eventually when we take from our IRAs and 427bs down the road, but them's the apples.

I will say no... I have taken from them the last few years since I need more money to live than what I can get otherwise... and there was no place in the tax program that asked me to input that info...

Roth income does not count into MAGI. Good plan to have the large post tax fund to control MAGI. Best plan is to max tax sheltered plans first, then fill post tax accounts.

Sounds like you did both- congrats ShokWaveRider!!

Some of the insurance companies are factoring those changes into their 2019 rates. From what I read BCBS-AZ rates would have been ~13% lower for 2019 if the mandate wasn't repealed. From BCBS-AZ:

Thanks for posting that. It’s an interesting news item, and makes sense. Price increases for the 2018 year were very high, in part based on speculation by the insurers that some changes would occur that would affect enrollment and reimbursement. They didn’t happen, or did on a much lower scale, so this has been priced into the premiums.

Back
Top Bottom