Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I get headaches and bloodshot eyes if I breath in too much second hand smoke. It can't be good for me.

With all of the evidence pointing towards the many health problems caused by smoking and second hand smoke, I'm constantly amazed when people argue that it's a freedom to smoke in public indoor buildings (bars included). I live in Dallas and I never thought I'd see the day when they banned smoking in bars here....but come April 1st, you won't be able to smoke in them here.....THANK GOD! Now I can have a beer in a bar without smelling like an ashtray when I get home.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have allergic reactions to cigarette smoke, too -- nausea, pounding headaches, itchy eyes, stuffed-up head, general blech. Hate the stuff.

I suspect that it's possible, though not terribly common, for fever to be a symptom of allergy, since they're both involved in immune response. Another possibility is... lack of sleep. When I used to pull all-nighters in college and grad school, I'd run a fever the next day (or days, until I got sufficient sleep). It was usually low-grade, about 100 degrees F or so. Never chills, just a fever, and pretty constant until I got the sleep I needed. I still have problems with regulating body temperature when I'm going without sleep, but it's not as prominent as it was in college (probably because I generally take better care of myself now).

When you go to see your bro, are your sleep patterns disrupted?

Probably, though, you're just getting sick because of the travel and smoke.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
I have allergic reactions to cigarette smoke, too -- nausea, pounding headaches, itchy eyes, stuffed-up head, general blech. Hate the stuff.

I suspect that it's possible, though not terribly common, for fever to be a symptom of allergy, since they're both involved in immune response. Another possibility is... lack of sleep. When I used to pull all-nighters in college and grad school, I'd run a fever the next day (or days, until I got sufficient sleep). It was usually low-grade, about 100 degrees F or so. Never chills, just a fever, and pretty constant until I got the sleep I needed. I still have problems with regulating body temperature when I'm going without sleep, but it's not as prominent as it was in college (probably because I generally take better care of myself now).

When you go to see your bro, are your sleep patterns disrupted?

Probably, though, you're just getting sick because of the travel and smoke.
Uh, yeah, guilty as charged. We are up til 2 a.m. or so (my brother likes to party, and he is a lot of fun, so....twist my arm....). So, you make a valid point. I imagine it is all of the factors thrown together.

That's interesting about the lack of sleep causing you to run a low grade fever.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I am not unsympathetic to smokers who want to stop but have addiction-like hooks to cigarettes. But I must admit I take a perverse sense of justice when I travel and see the smokers locked into a plexiglass smokers' cage in the terminal. At least I don't have to inhale it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #25

I was in one of those rooms, Rich, right before my 14 hour flight to New Zealand in 2004. It seemed pretty stupid at the time, but I did it any way. I'm very glad to have quit for good shortly after that.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #26

Ever since I was a little kid, smoke made me sick -- which was a problem since my parents both smoked (though my dad eventually quit -- and he was the one who died of cancer, go figure).

That made it pretty unlikely I'd ever be tempted to try it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

Sorry but I never did get it. Why anyone would want to set tobacco on fire and suck it into their lungs is just beyond me.
It does sound totally ridiculous, doesn't it? It is one of the dumbest things that I ever did. If I ever get any type of cancer at any age, I will blame myself. I must admit that I also did several other dumb things in my youth. Come to think of it, I am so lucky that I made it through my late teens and early 20's.

Wish I had been as smart as you.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #28

I may not have done that but if you have a few hours I can tell you all about the other dumb things I did.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Why Not just tell them?
We smoke, but when we have Non Somkers Visit or Socialize? We Don't and respect their Situation..

We have a Electronic Air Cleaner with our Furnance as well..

We don't go to Bars or Rest. that allow smoking and We have a Garage and use that as our smoking area anyway...with the Door Open....when they visit and stay longer than a couple of hours..

IF they repect you, they will make the necessary accomidations..
If not? Guess what they think of you? and how selfish they are..
Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Why Not just tell them?
We smoke, but when we have Non Somkers Visit or Socialize? We Don't and respect their Situation..

We have a Electronic Air Cleaner with our Furnance as well..

We don't go to Bars or Rest. that allow smoking and We have a Garage and use that as our smoking area anyway...with the Door Open....when they visit and stay longer than a couple of hours..

IF they repect you, they will make the necessary accomidations..
If not? Guess what they think of you? and how selfish they are..
Oh, they know - but my brother just built a new bar in his basement, and he thought he had it well ventilated enough (window open, fan) the first night. I wasn't sure it was enough ventilation, and I didn't want to "ruin the party" (New Year's Eve), so I took my chances. Well, when I came down sick again, we realized it wasn't enough ventilation. So, the next night he had everyone go to the other side of the basement (separate room) and smoke, blowing out into the window. That was much better, but I think the damage had already been done the first night.

Honestly, they really aren't selfish. They just really didn't fully comprehend how sensitive I am to the smoke, I guess. Even I didn't realize it fully myself until this last trip.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote