Alzheimer's and the future

... but unprocessed meat by itself (not lumped together with processed meat) hasn’t been studied so much.

Can't trust how the meat are manufactured, e.g., beef we eat may come from cows fed on antibiotics, growth hormones, and/or genetically modified corns.

,,,, The stats are 1/10 get ALZ by 65 rising to 1/3 by 85. Most men are dead pretty much around 85 but not so with women. Women that live to 65 have a 30% chance of living to 90 and a 2% chance to 100 so there is a 1/3 chance as a woman of living with ALZ for a decade or more. The natural course of the disease is relentless leading to death about 12 years after diagnosis but the course is variable. So that's the animal you are dealing with.

Do you have a source for these statistics? Are these numbers for all forms of dementia or just for Alzheimers as you’ve written?

Last edited:
Can't trust how the meat are manufactured, e.g., beef we eat may come from cows fed on antibiotics, growth hormones, and/or genetically modified corns.
Processed meat generally refers to cured or smoked meat products and things like hotdogs and potted meat. Not fresh red meat.

If you are concerned about how fresh red meat is manufactured, I think you can find sources for grass fed beef that has not been subjected to antibiotics and growth hormones. If you’d rather not eat meat due to concerns about how it is raised, that is your choice. Seems like you still have to deal with healthy sourcing of any food you eat.

In term of the quality of nutrition science portraying red meat as causing cancer, it’s quite a rabbit hole. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, try Dr. Ede’s Blog. WHO Says Meat Causes Cancer? - Diagnosis Diet

Last edited:
Bottom line:

Everyone is afraid of getting Alzheimer's. (or other dementia)
Nobody knows what causes it.
Eating right might help, and can't hurt.
Eating right = [insert cacaphony of disagreement here]

Last edited:
I suggest that people click the following link to learn about the connection between Alzhimers and diet which is called the Nigerian paradox:

Bottomline: A proper diet can reduce your risk for Alzhimeir's disease.

On a related note to the Nigerian Paradox, this article talks about Alzheimer's and gut bacteria -

"The Mediterranean Diet has been shown to reduce the risk for Alzheimer’s disease, and the health of our microbiota may be one of the reasons why this diet is so beneficial. Feed your microbiota lots of fiber, fruit, and vegetables! This is one of the ways in which you can improve your health, reduce systemic inflammation, and even, perhaps, reduce your risk for Alzheimer’s disease."

https://www.brightfocus.org/alzheim...ins-how-microbiome-affects-alzheimers-disease

I suggest that people click the following link to learn about the connection between Alzhimers and diet which is called the Nigerian paradox:

Bottomline: A proper diet can reduce your risk for Alzhimeir's disease.

Life Expectancy in Nigeria

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/nigeria-life-expectancy

According to the latest WHO data published in 2018 life expectancy in Nigeria is: Male 54.7, female 55.7 and total life expectancy is 55.2 which gives Nigeria a World Life Expectancy ranking of 178. You can see the leading causes of death data and rankings for Nigeria by clicking on the links below or select the full country health profile at the bottom of the page.

Or, maybe the reason for low Alzheimer's disease in Nigerians is because they don't live long enough to develop the disease.

Life Expectancy in Nigeria

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/nigeria-life-expectancy

According to the latest WHO data published in 2018 life expectancy in Nigeria is: Male 54.7, female 55.7 and total life expectancy is 55.2 which gives Nigeria a World Life Expectancy ranking of 178. You can see the leading causes of death data and rankings for Nigeria by clicking on the links below or select the full country health profile at the bottom of the page.

Or, maybe the reason for low Alzheimer's disease in Nigerians is because they don't live long enough to develop the disease.

"The overall age-adjusted prevalence rates of dementia and Alzheimer's disease in Ibadan were 2.29% and 1.41%, respectively. These rates were much lower than the respective values of 8.24% and 6.24% obtained for African Americans."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11054131

Here is another link on which countries have the highest deathrate from Alzheimers and the lowest rate of Alzheimers

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alzheimers-dementia/by-country/

If you look at the diet of the various countries, the highest rate have a diet of mostly animal meat....while the lowest rate have a diet of mostly plant and fish.

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant and fish.

I am now convinced that a MacDonald Cheeseburger is the worst thing you can eat...because of the red meat (saturated fat), the cheese (dairy product) and the white bread (refined carbs which inflames your brain).

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't eat anything. Pretty much guarantees I won't get Alzheimers.

Nope, not enough. You'll also need to move to Mars, to avoid pollution, contaminants, and anxiety over world affairs. Since you won't be eating, you won't need to worry about how to grow food on Mars.

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't eat anything. Pretty much guarantees I won't get Alzheimers.

"The overall age-adjusted prevalence rates of dementia and Alzheimer's disease in Ibadan were 2.29% and 1.41%, respectively. These rates were much lower than the respective values of 8.24% and 6.24% obtained for African Americans."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11054131

Yep. African Americans also have access to the McDonald's cheeseburgers which Nigerians do not.

This has the appearance of being one of potential "environmental factors" that your cited study has concluded.

You are...what you eat.

If inflammation is the cause, why not take anti-inflammatories?
Personally I think it’s better to avoid the inflammation in the first place. Who knows how much anti-inflammatory medicine you need, and some have side effects.

Apparently my very low-carb/ketogenic diet is a low inflammation diet, so I’m hoping I see some reduced inflammation results.

I have been taking turmeric as an anti-inflammatory for well over a year, but it hasn’t helped my thyroid auto-immune condition much. It may have helped with other problems.

Here is another link on which countries have the highest deathrate from Alzheimers and the lowest rate of Alzheimers

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alzheimers-dementia/by-country/

If you look at the diet of the various countries, the highest rate have a diet of mostly animal meat....while the lowest rate have a diet of mostly plant and fish.

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant and fish.

I am now convinced that a MacDonald Cheeseburger is the worst thing you can eat...because of the red meat (saturated fat), the cheese (dairy product) and the white bread (refined carbs which inflames your brain).[/QUOTE

I wonder if the difference in prevalence of Alzheimer’s might reflect a difference in diagnosis in various countries, rather than an actual difference in incidence. I wish there were an easy answer to preventing Alzheimer’s, but the evidence supporting diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, taking cholesterol drugs, drinking wine, etc. is all quite weak.

I am now convinced that a MacDonald Cheeseburger is the worst thing you can eat...because of the red meat (saturated fat), the cheese (dairy product) and the white bread (refined carbs which inflames your brain).[/QUOTE

I wonder if the difference in prevalence of Alzheimer’s might reflect a difference in diagnosis in various countries, rather than an actual difference in incidence. I wish there were an easy answer to preventing Alzheimer’s, but the evidence supporting diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, taking cholesterol drugs, drinking wine, etc. is all quite weak.[/QUOTE]

The most compelling evidence to me is the actual diet of numerous doctors and researchers who are engaged in finding a cure to Alzheimer's.

Some of these researchers had a mother or father who had Alzheimer's so therefore they are highly motivated and they have dedicated their entire lives to find a cure. They examine all the evidence...weak or otherwise. I considered them smarter than me on this subject so I take their advice.

What do they recommend? Diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, drinking wine. I am not sure if the evidence is weak but if they are doing it, then I am doing it.

Remember, some people get Alzheimer's...while other people don't.

The Nigerian paradox and the scientific community agree that it is not gene related...but "most likely" diet and lifestyle related.

All you have to do is watch the youtube videos by these doctors and researchers and some of the doctors and researchers discloses what they are doing to avoid this disease.

I don't understand the cultural fetish of assigning responsibility for nearly everything to Diet. Obviously some things are and have been known to be deleterious eg sugar/candy. And some things are good for certain things. eg certain fruits & vegetables can prevent diseases like pelagra and scurvy. But when it comes to everything health-wise causing or preventing practically everything the first thing people reach for is "diet". As if there couldn't possibly be anything else in the mix? Nope. We know it all. Everybody knows that. I wonder which foods cause or prevent obsessive / compulsive disorder?

The most compelling evidence to me is the actual diet of numerous doctors and researchers who are engaged in finding a cure to Alzheimer's.

Some of these researchers had a mother or father who had Alzheimer's so therefore they are highly motivated and they have dedicated their entire lives to find a cure. They examine all the evidence...weak or otherwise. I considered them smarter than me on this subject so I take their advice.

What do they recommend? Diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, drinking wine. I am not sure if the evidence is weak but if they are doing it, then I am doing it.

Remember, some people get Alzheimer's...while other people don't.

The Nigerian paradox and the scientific community agree that it is not gene related...but "most likely" diet and lifestyle related.

All you have to do is watch the youtube videos by these doctors and researchers and some of the doctors and researchers discloses what they are doing to avoid this disease.
We do watch the videos and we are really trying to clean up our act as a result. It is not like anybody else has any better ideas for preventing or reversing Alzheimer's. The worst side effect seems to be reducing our chances of getting heart disease, since most of the recommendations are also the same suggestions for having a healthy heart and avoiding other chronic disorders.

Several of our neighbors either have Alzheimer's or have died from it, so for us activities like more exercise, better sleep habits and a plant based diet seem like a small price to pay to try to avoid what our neighbors have been through.

I don't understand the cultural fetish of assigning responsibility for nearly everything to Diet. Obviously some things are and have been known to be deleterious eg sugar/candy. And some things are good for certain things. eg certain fruits & vegetables can prevent diseases like pelagra and scurvy. But when it comes to everything health-wise causing or preventing practically everything the first thing people reach for is "diet". As if there couldn't possibly be anything else in the mix? Nope. We know it all. Everybody knows that. I wonder which foods cause or prevent obsessive / compulsive disorder?
Scientists spend years doing nothing but studying Alzheimers.
They find that diet definitely plays a part.
What's fetishist about that?

If you are concerned about how fresh red meat is manufactured, I think you can find sources for grass fed beef that has not been subjected to antibiotics and growth hormones.

This is the only beef we eat at home. Outside of our home, we are at the mercy of the beef being served. in a big scheme of things, it is probably insignificant toward what it does to AZ. I sure hope there are more legitimate studies and researches on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom