Another Medigap/Advantage question

mf15

Recycles dryer sheets
It is my time for medicare,wife has been on Aetna Medicare Advantage for 3 years so I am familiar,I also investigated the plans when she signed up.

She is only paying about 60 bucks a months for a ok plan with part D, 6700 max out of pocket cost, I also see this year they have added 20% copay for diagnostics,for me to get a medigap F plus part D will cost around 200 a month,big price difference.

My dilemma is my perception, that the government is pretty much out to destroy medicare advantage,the coverage will probably go down and the premiums drastically up starting 2014.

Any thoughts medigap vs advantage from this perspective,I have searched don't come up with much. But various articles don't paint a good picture for medicare advantage plans,in the future.
Thanks Old Mike

No need to fret, why not sign up for her Advantage plan if you like it? You can always switch to a Medigap plan later on if the price goes up too much on the Advantage plan.

It is my time for medicare,wife has been on Aetna Medicare Advantage for 3 years so I am familiar,I also investigated the plans when she signed up.

She is only paying about 60 bucks a months for a ok plan with part D, 6700 max out of pocket cost, I also see this year they have added 20% copay for diagnostics,for me to get a medigap F plus part D will cost around 200 a month,big price difference.

My dilemma is my perception, that the government is pretty much out to destroy medicare advantage,the coverage will probably go down and the premiums drastically up starting 2014.

Any thoughts medigap vs advantage from this perspective,I have searched don't come up with much. But various articles don't paint a good picture for medicare advantage plans,in the future.
Thanks Old Mike

the government is going to destroy 3 star and less medicare advantage plans.

they are also giving more money to the 5 star plans.

the stars go to a plan in 1 area. aetna medicare advantage could have a 5 star plan in 1 state and a 1 star plan in another(just an explanation) you would have to check the state specific plan

No need to fret, why not sign up for her Advantage plan if you like it? You can always switch to a Medigap plan later on if the price goes up too much on the Advantage plan.

REW.....I have the impression that it may not necessarily be easy to move that way in the future esp if there are any pre-existing conditions and you have to go thru medical underwriting to qualify. Probably easier to go "downstream" the other way than upstream.

REW.....I have the impression that it may not necessarily be easy to move that way in the future esp if there are any pre-existing conditions and you have to go thru medical underwriting to qualify. Probably easier to go "downstream" the other way than upstream.

As I understand the law today, if you purchase an Advantage plan when you first become eligible for Medicare you can, within the first year, change to a Medigap plan without going through underwriting. It does appear less certain after the first year has passed.

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

They I believe make it a little bit difficult now to switch from advantage to a medigap plan, I am sure once I get to a certain point I would be under written.
The plan F high detuctable does look interesting, have to explore more.
Gonna be tuff going from corporate medical which cost me 100 a month to this,
they were nice enough to keep me on the company plan until 65,but now the time is here to be dropped like a hot potato.
Been on my own for dental for the past 5 years,that can get expensive fast.
Oh well.
Old Mike

Be certain to check with your state about this. I don't keep up with these things any longer, and they vary state to state and likely with Obie-care too, but when I choose to go with Medigap plan, in my state there was no guaranteed issue of a Medigap coming from a Medicare Advantage, except under certain carefully drawn conditions.

Ha

The plan F high detuctable does look interesting, have to explore more.
That's the way we chose to go. Seems like a good option as it kicks in to pay for almost everything Medicare doesn't after you pick up the first $2K or thereabouts.

Gonna be tuff going from corporate medical which cost me 100 a month to this...
You've been living the life of Riley. Welcome to the same world the rest of us live in. :)

Last edited:
I'm in a Medicare Advantage plan and have been for four years. My current plan is with BCBS, now called Florida Blue. I personally like the plan and I understand that "if you like your current plan, you can keep it".

Back
Top Bottom