Anyone Have Difficulty Donating Blood?

I did once... and was like the OP...

My blood pressue drops a lot when I give blood... and in fact once when they were taking three tubes it stopped flowing out on the 3rd one...

Now my BP is more normal, so I don't do it as much as before, but I still do not give blood as I don't want to get a cold sweat and faint...

One time there was a handsome EMT taking the personal histories. I was so jazzed that my blood pressure shot way up and the draw was done in record time. He told me he often had that effect on women. Never mind he was 20 years younger than me.....
So for those with blood pressure problems, it might help to find a blood bank with good scenery.

I did once... and was like the OP...

My blood pressue drops a lot when I give blood... and in fact once when they were taking three tubes it stopped flowing out on the 3rd one.../quote]

I went once, and in the pre-donation process, the nurse took my blood pressure and noted it was in the borderline/high side.

She told me about it, then laughed and said by the time they were done drawing off my blood, my B.P ought to be several points lower! :D

So those who want to control their B.P. without medication---maybe here's another way!

Also, I did read once of a purported causal relationship between regular blood donations and fewer stroke/heart problems. This was maybe 6 or 8 years ago. Never saw or heard anything else about that study.

They won't take mine any more. I lived in Europe during the 1980s and there is a one in a gazillion chance that I might have eaten meat containing the virus that causes CJD.

They won't take mine any more. I lived in Europe during the 1980s and there is a one in a gazillion chance that I might have eaten meat containing the virus that causes CJD.

...CJD being the homo sapiens version of mad cow (Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease).

It is interesting how they will refuse a risk of 1 in 10^6 or more at a time when blood shortages have the potential to create a risk many magnitudes greater. At least in the US I imagine it is largely medicolegal in nature.

I thought that donating blood would be a good thing to do in ER and maybe redeem myself as a productive member of society in some people's eyes:bat:. Not a good experience! I fainted after it was over and then had to lie down and stay an extra hour. Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm in good health and not underweight. I did get up quickly after the blood was taken and the blood was taken quickly, in about seven minutes. I have had a couple of vasovagal reactions where I fainted after drinking one glass of wine (I swear! Just one glass).

I'm not sure if I should even try again...

To ward off fainting, pump the blood into the bag using a slow steady ryhthm. (seven minutes may have been too fast) . When you're done, get up very slowly and stay seated on the gurney for a few minutes. This seemed to work for me when I used to give blood. (I can no longer do so
for health reasons).

Too many vampires

Until mid-year, I was giving blood every 2 months. Then, a series of MD's all wanted lab work at the same time ... a couple of then got bad results, and demanded that I be re-stuck, several more times.

When I went in to give blood again, the vein was so scarred up and mobile that their best phlebotomists couldn't find the vein ... along with a lot of pain as they dug around.

Eventually, I said 'stop!', checked myself out of the center, and haven't been back.

I'd let them take blood from other places on my body, but apparently their rules say arm or nothing.

Sigh! :duh:

...CJD being the homo sapiens version of mad cow (Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease).

It is interesting how they will refuse a risk of 1 in 10^6 or more at a time when blood shortages have the potential to create a risk many magnitudes greater. At least in the US I imagine it is largely medicolegal in nature.

I couldn't agree more. I am O= (cmv negative as well as O-) so I was a member of the "baby club" at the local hospital and used to donate every 2-3 months. Giving blood was something that I used to feel really good about, particularly with a blood group that could be used for new-born babies. ("The gift of life"). One time I was in the waiting room when a small crowd of folks appeared - a child from their church with cancer needed a blood transfusion and they were all there getting tested to see if their blood types were acceptable. I joined them and said if I matched then I'd be happy to donate for the young chap. (My blood was acceptable).

However, since the BSE/CJD thing I haven't been able to donate for many years and it really grieves me since I know the risk is so low.

Going back to the original post, there has only been one time I ever felt faint, and in fact had to go back in and lie down to recover. That was one time when the blood folks turned up at church and the timing was such that I was able to donate. The person drawing the blood took 3 attempts to get a good stick, and then it took a long time to get the blood (I normally am through after 5-8 minutes). After that experience I made sure I continued going to the blood bank at my local hospital.

I never had a mechanical problem giving blood. Never fainted, though someone next to me did (young, athletic kid). At my last job, we went as a group and had a competition as to who could generate a pint the fastest. I won once.

When I came back from India, they wouldn't let me give for a year (so any malaria would show up). I was astounded! I had my shots and ate my Fansidar, but they told me Fansidar only defers the onset of malaria. Holy $$$$! And my 'doctor' who gave me my shots in Houston was an Indian woman. I hope India is turning out better doctors nowadays.

I donate in the US and Canada. I think the waiting time is overly conservative.

Thanks for reminding me! I will donate tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom