Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here ever have a doctor make a house call?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone here ever have a doctor make a house call?

I was fortunate to have this into the early 1960s.
Our family doctors were twins in their 60s - never knew which was which.
It was pretty cool - the old bedside manner - helped me get well quicker I think.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes I remember the doctor coming to our home when I was sick back in the late 50s early 60s.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #3

Sure, a few times, about 1952, 53, or thereabouts. It was in on of them behind the Iron Curtain countries. My mother paid for it with eggs and flour.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Used to do them in the early 80s when I was in private practice, at least when there was a reason to. Felt good.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Administrator

Sure. I had a very bad case of measles in 1954, and the pediatrician came to our house. Haven't had (or needed) a house call in my adult years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember several house calls when I was little for measles, mumps, etc.....I was terrified of our family doctor because he had big bushy eyebrows, but he was really a nice man.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #7

I must have had the same doctor as Meadbh! A large guy with bushy eyebrows, nice fellow, but he had this bad habit of sticking needles into me.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, 1958-1961. Tonsil problems as a kid. Had them out in the first grade. That should have been in 1961. I can still smell the ether that was used to put me under.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I confess, I'm old. I remember the doc coming to our house in the mid 60's.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #10

Yes, in 1961 or '62 I had German Measles (rubella). The doctor came to the house two or three times. Small town...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #11

Yup, back in the 50's and 60's our family Doc. made house calls. Pretty cool!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Yup, back in the 50's and 60's our family Doc. made house calls. Pretty cool!
Did he have a matched team pulling his buggy?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #13

Yeah, and in the winter he came by sled.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Was it pure economics that put an end to house calls, or did they decide that it wouldn't kill you to drag yourself into the office?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes. Was it pure economics that put an end to house calls, or did they decide that it wouldn't kill you to drag yourself into the office?
I remember in the early 1980's getting $19 from Medicare for a housecall. They did not reimburse for transportation time at all. It was considered gauche to charge patients directly for the latter, though it did become more common in the late 1980s to do so. With transportation it was about an hour of my time for $19.

So, if I generated even $75 per hour in fees in the office, each housecall cost me $56 an hour.

Of course you could always make it up in volume. <rim shot>

There are a few docs today who do nothing but house calls. They maintain no office overhead at all except a desk for billing, and they see dozens of patients at a time in facilities like assisted living complexes. It's a marginal living, usually supplemented by side work.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #16

Concierge services also do house calls. You pay for the service with an annual fee and the docs involved have a much smaller patient panel then a "normal" clinic practice.

DD
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Same as the others here, we had docs making house calls when I was a kid. My dad was good friends with the retired doctor father of our two family doctors. Dad and I often would go to their houses and play music with their families. We all were string players and played in a chamber orchestra together. These guys would frequently check in on my dad at his home until his death in the early 1980s. He probably was their last house call. Good guys.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #18

Only remember one housecall. After a difficult delivery and birth and a scary newborne breathing incident the first day, we were all sent home from hospital. Pediatrician we had interviewed and selected (before birth) "dropped by" unannounced the next day to do an extra well baby check and make sure we were all okay and had no questions. Never billed anything - he said it was just because he himself wanted check something. Shortly after that he closed his practice to new patients except siblings and still was the busiest Doc around. Kids have been his patients ever since, but no more housecalls. I think it's a dying (dead?) practice except for very unusual situations.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My brother has the doctor visit once every two weeks. My MIL got weekly visits from her doctor. In both cases, they were at home during recovery from a hospital stay. I think it is a tradeoff to help get them out of the hospital sooner. (This is Canada, one in Toronto, the other in Vancouver so YMMV.)
Old 05-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #20

Back in the late 90's while Dad was still alive, our family Doc used to stop by every couple of weeks to see how he (and Mom) were doing. He never charged for the visit, because he would just stop by on his way home from his office.....he lives about a block away.

He still comes by occasionally when he and his GF are out for their evening walk. He's also one that can be contacted 24/7, and doesn't mind the call.....even at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Tags
cost of living