Baylor Scott and White

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another ACA insurance carrier in Texas is pulling out of providing ACA coverage next year. When BCBSTX came out with some rather poor options for 2016, I covered DD thru Scott and White which offered much better coverage. Now I am not sure what will be available for 2017 that would provide decent network coverage and reasonable out of pocket costs.

Also, I really do not understand why there isn't more media outcry regarding the way these ACA carriers have restricted their networks and substantially increased out of pocket costs, all we hear about is the carriers dropping out:mad:.

Another ACA insurance carrier in Texas is pulling out of providing ACA coverage next year. When BCBSTX came out with some rather poor options for 2016, I covered DD thru Scott and White which offered much better coverage. Now I am not sure what will be available for 2017 that would provide decent network coverage and reasonable out of pocket costs.

Also, I really do not understand why there isn't more media outcry regarding the way these ACA carriers have restricted their networks and substantially increased out of pocket costs, all we hear about is the carriers dropping out:mad:.
Single payer on the way! To back down from a handout program with many happy takers takes a tough leader like Margaret Thatcher, and it takes an absolute emergency like that faced by the UK in the very lean years before she was elected.

Not going to happen here with today's political trends. Eventually our private system will go, other than high dollar alternate system for truly rich people.

Ha

Yea, the plans that were offered to us were either very expensive or not that great... so I took the not that great BCBSTX option...

I have been finding some holes in the plan, but some of that can be the doc...

It has not been the worst insurance I have had, but it is way down the list...

I also am concerned at the new cost... last year we had a better plan and it was 15% to 20% cheaper... I am expecting another big jump, but hopefully the plan does not get any worse....

To clarify, Scott & White is leaving the exchange and will stop selling some off-exchange plans. They will continue to offer other ACA compliant off-exchange plans.

While these individual off marketplace place bronze plans will be offered next year, its not clear to me that they will ACA compliant, although termed bronze plans, or how narrow the network will be (need to review this some more in the link SW provided). Here is a link to the Q&A from Scott and White:
Scott & White Health Plan News and Information

While these individual off marketplace place bronze plans will be offered next year, its not clear to me that they will ACA compliant, although termed bronze plans, or how narrow the network will be...
Excluding short-term medical and indemnity plans, all major medical plans sold today are ACA compliant.

The only non-compliant plans that have been available for purchase since January 1, 2014 are things like discount plans, critical illness plans (eg, a cancer-only policy), accident supplements, and short-term health policies.

If you purchase a new policy after January 1, 2014, it must be fully ACA-compliant. The good news is that all major medical plans sold since then have been ACA-compliant, regardless of whether they’re sold in the exchange or not.
Reference: https://www.healthinsurance.org/faq...-the-benefits-dont-meet-obamacares-standards/

Excluding short-term medical and indemnity plans, all major medical plans sold today are ACA compliant.

Reference: https://www.healthinsurance.org/faq...-the-benefits-dont-meet-obamacares-standards/

OK, thanks for that link. I hope this ACA compliance is maintained going forward, as I'd hate to have to pay for an individual policy for DD and then have to pay the gov't a penalty for next years coverage. The lack of viable options is apt to result in even more deciding to just pay the penalty and go uninsured, which is already why so many insurers are pulling out. Its seems the only ones in the exchanges are those that are getting big subsidies due to low wages and those with serious medical problems, while the majority go uninsured and simply pay the penalty.

Back
Top Bottom