Chuckanuts Total Knee Replacement story

Part 5 - The Surgery

Check in was at 5:15 AM with surgery scheduled at 7:00 AM.

I had three informative talks with the surgeon, OR head nurse, and the anesthesia doctor. All were well informed and knew about things that might complicate matters. Obviously they read my records ahead of time. Very reassuring!

I got a spinal block in the OR and some anesthesia to make me sleep. I lay back on the operating table.

......................... NA .....................

3 hours later I awaken in the recovery ward. Again very competent nurses who check me out.

Apparently the surgery was a success and I will live. [emoji16]

Last edited:
Part 5 - The Surgery

Check in was at 5:15 AM with surgery scheduled at 7:00 AM.

I had three informative talks with the surgeon, OR head nurse, and the anesthesia doctor. All were well informed and knew about things that might complicate matters. Obviously they read my records ahead of time. Very reassuring!

I got a spinal block in the OR and some anesthesia to make me sleep. I lay back on the operating table.

......................... NA .....................

3 hours later I awaken in the recovery ward. Again very competent nurses who check me out.

Apparently the surgery was a success and I will live. [emoji16]

WOW!!! I am so impressed that you felt able to write a post on the same day. Also I am so happy for you that you got through this and now are in the recovery phase. Take care and thank you so much for letting us know!

Part 6 - The First Post Op Day in the Hospital

There is plenty to tell. First, my surgeon explained pain control immediately following surgery. I have a spinal block which should wear off in a few hours. I also have an needle in my thigh that is dripping a pain killer into my body for the next three days. It kills off about 60 to 70 percent of the pain sources. Also the other nerves will get over the shock of the surgery and start transmitting pain signals by late afternoon tomorrow. [emoji15] Here it comes!

In three days I get to remove the thigh needle myself. I have been given an instruction sheet. Call me Nurse Chuck. I take my first dose of Oxy about 3 pm. It dulls an increasing pain in my knee and puts me to sleep for an hour. It’s my experiment to see how I react to the Oxy. I also get Tylenol about an hour later. Hopefully the T will reduce the need for Oxy to a minimum.
He also explains that I must not overdo things my first days home. Once the needle is out and the nerves are working well there will be Pain. If I over work the soft tissue around the knee on my first two days home, then there will be Heck to pay the third day, and probably longer.

It seems after 40 years of bone on bone wear, my knees are in worse shape than the surgeon thought and he had to do more shaving and forming than planned. But, it all worked out.

They check my body’s fundamentals every hour for four hours, then, since all is well, every 6 hours after that. Again, done with great efficiency. I get my blood sugar test just before dinner to check for signs of infection. No problems.

Two inflatable pads surround my calf muscles to help pump blood through my legs. They inflate and deflate alternately. I have a drain in my knee that reduces post operative swelling quite a bit. This is a huge pain relief item, IMHO.

Oh, I am very hungry. I experiment with pudding and juice and find I tolerate them very well. Later I eat a rather tasty lunch. No problems.

PT visits and I manage to get in and out of bed on my own, walk about the small room, and get in and out of a chair on my own. Tomorrow I will face my most fiendish enemy - stairs.

I get my 2nd dose of intravenous antibiotics and then I am disconnected from the drip tree gizmo. Yea!

I credit most of my success to the excellent pain management system of the hospital.

Last edited:
Part 6 - The First Post Op Day in the Hospital

There is plenty to tell. First, my surgeon explained pain control immediately following surgery. I have a spinal block which should wear off in a few hours. I also have an needle in my thigh that is dripping a pain killer into my body for the next three days. It kills off about 60 to 70 percent of the pain sources. Also the other nerves will get over the shock of the surgery and start transmitting pain signals by late afternoon tomorrow. [emoji15] Here it comes!

In three days I get to remove the thigh needle myself. I have been given an instruction sheet. Call me Nurse Chuck. I take my first dose of Oxy about 3 pm. It dulls an increasing pain in my knee and puts me to sleep for an hour. It’s my experiment to see how I react to the Oxy. I also get Tylenol about an hour later. Hopefully the T will reduce the need for Oxy to a minimum.
He also explains that I must not overdo things my first days home. Once the needle is out and the nerves are working well there will be Pain. If I over work the soft tissue around the knee on my first two days home, then there will be Heck to pay the third day, and probably longer.

It seems after 40 years of bone on bone wear, my knees are in worse shape than the surgeon thought and he had to do more shaving and forming than planned. But, it all worked out.

They check my body’s fundamentals every hour for four hours, then, since all is well, every 6 hours after that. Again, done with great efficiency. I get my blood sugar test just before dinner to check for signs of infection. No problems.

Two inflatable pads surround my calf muscles to help pump blood through my legs.

Oh, I am very hungry. I experiment with pudding and juice and find I tolerate them very well. Later I eat a rather tasty lunch. No problems.

PT visits and I manage to get in and out of bed on my own, walk about the small room, and get in and out of a chair on my own. Tomorrow I will face my most fiendish enemy - stairs.

I get my 2nd dose of intravenous antibiotics and then I am disconnected from the drip tree gizmo. Yea!

I credit most of my success to the excellent pain management system of the hospital.
Oh my gosh!! Congratulations on walking about the room, and getting in and out of a chair on your own! That is HUGE progress.

You are doing wonderfully! You are one tough guy. :) Good luck with the transitioning of pain meds that you described.

It seems that our bodies are covered with various bacteria that pollute the sterile environment of the OR. So I have been given a few assignments to do at home starting two days before I arrive at the OR. I have to wash myself several times, along with the bed linens, my PJs and the clothing I will wear to the hospital.
I have been given a special bottle of anti-bacterial body wash. Two nights before the surgery I must wash myself from the chin down to the toes for five minutes using this body wash...

When I had major surgeries 6 years ago, I did not go through any of the above. I wonder if this is now standard everywhere, or just at your hospital.

Sounds like a good precaution, given all the stories about how patients get infected while in hospitals.

Congratulations Chuckanut! It seems like you are likely to be on full normal activity very soon. Great work, your preparations were right on and so well thought out.

Ha

Congrats! Sounds like the surgery was A OK! I am thinking of you today as those magical "super pain killers" wear off. Hopefully, it won't be TOO BAD!

Congrats! Sounds like the surgery was A OK! I am thinking of you today as those magical "super pain killers" wear off. Hopefully, it won't be TOO BAD!

Alas, it’s awful! The word for the day is PAIN! It’s quite intense.
I guess it just has to be toughed out.

Last edited:
Alas, it’s awful! The word for the day is PAIN! It’s quite intense.
I guess it just has to be toughed out.

Hang in there!! The pain will eventually go away, and you will be so glad that you have a new knee.

Very sorry

Hope you can find things to distract you

And perhaps also amp up the pain medication a bit for a short time at least
I do recall you saying the Dr told you he had to do more than expected and that this would make the pain worse during recovery, so a longer time at a higher dose may be justified

Sorry you are having a hard time . Hopefully tomorrow will be better .

Last edited:
Very sorry

Hope you can find things to distract you

And perhaps also amp up the pain medication a bit for a short time at least
I do recall you saying the Dr told you he had to do more than expected and that this would make the pain worse during recovery, so a longer time at a higher dose may be justified

THIS! Stay ahead of the pain. Don't let it get bad because it takes a long time to get back to a tolerable level. I made the mistake of trying to wean myself too soon more than once and I regretted it. If the meds you are getting are not doing the job, let the docs know! No reason you should suffer (too much). You will not become a drug addict.

I also am following the Chuckanut Saga. Thank you for posting and hope you feel better very very soon. Have faith that it will all be worth it in the end.

I had a rough last night, but I feel better this morning. I woke up about 4 AM with sharp pains in the knee area. I just told myself to tough it out. But today I am upping the pain meds. I am going to take it very easy today, camp out In my bedroom with TV and iPad. My walks to the bathroom should meet the initial requirements for moving around.

I still have the Ropivacaine ball attached to my thigh along with the drainage collector. I can’t believe the amount of fluids draining from the knee. I may not have any blood left when this is over!
I got the ok to triple the Oxy if I need to do so. So far I have doubled the dose.

I started on my prunes so as to promote regularity.

Last edited:
I had a rough last night, but I feel better this morning. I woke up about 4 AM with sharp pains in the knee area. I just told myself to tough it out. But today I am upping the pain meds. I ,am going to take it very easy today, camp out In my bedroom with TV and iPad. My walks to the bathroom should meet the initial requirements for moving around.

I still have the ropivacaIne ball attached to my thigh along with the drainage collector. I can’t believe the amount of fluids draining from the knee. I may not have any blood left when this is over!
I got the ok to triple the Oxy if I need to do so. So far I have doubled the dose.

I started on my prunes so as to promote regularity.

Glad things are a little bit better today. Good idea to take it easy. Frank thinks that maybe you were encouraged to do too much, too soon after surgery and that this is why your knee is hurting so much. But then, it might have hurt a lot either way. Glad you got the OK to use more pain meds as needed. Maybe you can manage a brief nap or two during the day since I would imagine you hardly slept last night. Ice, ice, ice, and elevate!

Prunes! That is something I should buy before my own TKR surgery (on August 13th). Thanks.

Glad things are a little bit better today. Good idea to take it easy. Frank thinks that maybe you were encouraged to do too much, too soon after surgery and that this is why your knee is hurting so much. But then, it might have hurt a lot either way. Glad you got the OK to use more pain meds as needed. Maybe you can manage a brief nap or two during the day since I would imagine you hardly slept last night. Ice, ice, ice, and elevate!

Prunes! That is something I should buy before my own TKR surgery (on August 13th). Thanks.

I don't uncommon to hurt more as the drugs from surgery wear off and the post surgery swelling starts to increase. Hopefully Chuck will start feeling less pain soon.

Good idea keeping up with the pain meds. When DW had surgery on her spine, she tried to limit her pain meds...it was a miserable couple of weeks. A few years later, she had the surgery *again* and kept up with the meds and her recovery was much easier even though it was much more invasive and involved two different areas of surgery.

Opioid addiction is a real thing, but managed correctly...it most likely won't be an issue.

Unrelated, but Google Chrome shows "opioid" as misspelled and doesn't seem to recognize this as a word? Really Google? That word has been around for 70 years...get with the times!

Part 7 - Home

I’ve returned home the day after the surgery. The big problem for me is that most older wheelchairs aren’t made for people much above 5’8”. So we have to wait for a new one to be borrowed from the transportation department. Squeezing my now swollen leg that does not like to bend much into the car is uncomfortable

In the hospital I had four things connected to me at almost all times: blood oxygen, intravenous stuff, wound drainage assembly and anesthetic ball. I start life at home with only the drains and the anesthetic ball. Today I lose the drain, tomorrow the ball.

The incision is covered by a long bandaid dressing that is waterproof and not uncomfortable so far. No staples to close the incision! They use some kind of below the surface technique.

My new knee can’t support much weight without pain. But it seems to be working more smoothly than yesterday without the clicks and clunks I heard on occasion. Bending it is a challenge due to the swelling or so I am told. The surgeon does check for range of motion before closing, but then Mother Nature takes over with her healing techniques.

The most critical exercise is using the ankles to move the foot. This exercises the calf muscle which is the source of most blood clots.

I doubt if I could sleep comfortably without the gloriously over priced piece of foam called The Lounge Doctor.

Last edited:
Part 7 - Home

I’ve returned home the day after the surgery. The big problem for me is that most older wheelchairs aren’t made for people much above 5’8”. So we have to wait for a new one to be borrowed from the transportation department. Squeezing my now swollen leg that does not like to bend much into the car is uncomfortable
Is the wheelchair just to take you from the hospital to the car? Or will you be using it for a while at home? Getting into a car sounds tough but it is great that you were able to get home.
In the hospital I had four things connected to me at almost all times: blood oxygen, intravenous stuff, wound drainage assembly and anesthetic ball. I start life at home with only the drains and the anesthetic ball. Today I lose the drain, tomorrow the ball.

The incision is covered by a long bandaid dressing that is waterproof and not uncomfortable so far. No staples to close the incision! They use some kind of below the surface technique.
Waterproof? That's great! It should make washing up a little easier, I'd think.

My new knee can’t support much weight without pain.
That's awful. My sympathies! Hope it feels better in a few days. It must make daily living so hard.

But it seems to be working more smoothly than yesterday without the clicks and clunks I heard on occasion. Bending it is a challenge due to the swelling or so I am told. The surgeon does check for range of motion before closing, but then Mother Nature takes over with her healing techniques.
Good, let's hope that all the rest and ice can cut back on the swelling, at some point.

The most critical exercise is using the ankles to move the foot. This exercises the calf muscle which is the source of most blood clots.
That doesn't sound too tough. But then I didn't just have knee surgery!

I doubt if I could sleep comfortably without the gloriously over priced piece of foam called The Lounge Doctor.
I bought one too and it is ready.

How is your recliner working out in recovery? Is the platform the right height?

My platform is still to low for my surgical knee. I think once the knee is mostly healed it will be a great improvement . The wheelchair was just to get me to the car. I use the walker mostly, and the crutches for those rare time I take the stairs.

My second night at home was much better. The Little guy sticking knife blades into my knee is gone, having been vanquished by the pain meds and a very small bit of healing.

My last hookup is gone! Yea! No more walking around with tubes coming
out of my body.

Ice and pain meds are my new best friends.

Back
Top Bottom