Chuckanuts Total Knee Replacement story

Great observations, and helpful to those of us following right behind you. Thank you for your open and honest discussion of your recovery during this first week.

Ditto what W2R said. DW is scheduled for her TKR on Oct 2nd so any and all posts are very helpful.

Continued healing to you (and SumDay).

FWIW, eight days after surgery, according to the PT, my knee bend is 75 degrees.

Sounds good to me, especially with all the swelling you have been experiencing. I'll bet it keeps improving until that swelling is gone for good.

I'm behind on reading posts, so forgive me if I missed it. Do you have an electric ice machine for your knee? My PT worked me hard today, and mine is pumping cold water over my elevated knee as a result. If I back off either ice or elevation, I pay dearly.

Good job on the 75 ROM!

Just wanted to add my best wishes and support like the others. I just past the 11 month point with my "new hardware" and I couldn't be happier. I realized early on that many of the TKR forum sites are filled with people that had bad experiences. I read them before my surgery and almost talked myself out of the surgery. Fortunately I had a close friend who had the same surgery with the same doctor one year before. He was very supportive. The hardest part of my recovery was exhaustion from not being able to sleep well the first couple of weeks or so. Not due to pain but positional. I am a side sleeper and move around a lot and couldn't sleep on my back and stay in one spot. Every week gets better and my new knee feels much stronger than my other natural knee. Your recovery sounds like you are well on your way to very positive results. Best of luck to you!

My DH had total knee replacements, both done at the same time. He walks so much now I am afraid he will wear them out.

He now uses a wire shelf turned on its side to lift the sheet and blankets off his feet. That enables him to turn without getting a charlie-horse in his legs or feet.

I'm behind on reading posts, so forgive me if I missed it. Do you have an electric ice machine for your knee? My PT worked me hard today, and mine is pumping cold water over my elevated knee as a result. If I back off either ice or elevation, I pay dearly.

Good job on the 75 ROM!

Yes. I am using an ice water machine to treat the knee.

I have my doubts about working the knee hard. To hard and it is difficult for the patient to do the home treatments

Good luck. Not to scare but DF is 68, he had a TNR the last year of his career at 65. 3 years later something is terribly wrong. They drained fluid 3x and have now done allergy and bone tests to determine what might be causing the problems.

He is on crutches now at times and has gained a little bit of weight not being as mobile as he was pre-knee replacement.

I really hope it gets better, because if he is stuck to a walker, crutches, cane or even wheel chair that will mean he really didn't get to walk around much after he retired.

Part 9 – Physical Therapy and (some) Progress

Part 9 – Physical Therapy and (some) Progress

I am now well into week two of my post operative recovery.

I just read a post on a TKR social media site. In one paragraph the author talks about going dancing three weeks after his TKR, and then complains that his knee pain is still much greater than he thinks it should be. I don’t know whether to congratulate him on being a better man than I, or whack him on the side of his head and ask him What the Heck Did He Expect.

The physical therapist is good, IMHO. She keeps me doing my exercises using good form. I tend to want to lean, bend, shift weight or otherwise over compensate in ways that defeat the purpose of the therapy. I don’t know enough to know that I am doing it wrong. She does, and she keeps me on the straight and narrow path.

I am starting to reduce the amount of Oxy I am taking, from one pill every three hours to one pill every four hour. I still reserve the right to take an extra pill about an hour before the PT sessions. If that works, I will keep adding an hour until I don’t need the Oxy at all.

I had my first Post Operative appointment with the physician’s assistant. The incision is looking good as far as healing in concerned. Eight staples outside of the incision area were removed. I think they have something to do with devices attached to my leg, that let the robotic equipment know where my knee is in 3D space. Steri-strips were applied to keep the incision held together. It’s all covered with one of those clear plastic toppings that are shower-proof but not immersion proof. I can also remove the left compression sock, but the sock on the surgery leg remains on for at least another 10 days. I must continue to take one morning aspirin for 30 days after the surgery.

I can now walk more normally. I still depend on the walker, and it is still to early to give it up. One bad fall and there will be Heck to pay. Up until now my legs have been following the walker. Now, I hold the walker very lightly, and let my legs power me and the walker forward.. It’s far more like normal walking. However, walking is not yet easy. After 15 minutes or so of walking, my knee has had enough and lets me know with a growing soreness and a plea for ice, ice and more ice.

Stairs are becoming less of a hassle. I can go up and down on my own, though it is an effort. I try to minimize the number of round trips I make on the stairs. I can move about the house better, though I still need the walker for safety reasons.
Washing up and dressing myself take a while, but are much easier than a week ago.

Edited to add: One thing to point out is that even simple things like washing up, shaving, brushing teeth and getting dress seem to take more energy out of me. When I am done with washing up and dressing, I will collapse on the bed for a few minutes to restore my energy to some reasonable level.

I still can’t sit comfortably on anything but my bed and my recliner.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your progress, Chuckanut.

It's great that you feel able to cut back on the frequency at which you are taking Oxy, without experiencing great pain as a consequence.

It's such an improvement that you can now let your legs power you and your walker, as you hang on lightly.

I am not one bit surprised that your knee feels sore after 15 minutes of walking! But 15 minutes is so much better than it was right after your surgery.

And sure, your energy feels sapped after pushing yourself to do more. But overall, you sound SO much better than you did just a few days ago. This is really encouraging.

Thanks so much for the update!

Edited to add: One thing to point out is that even simple things like washing up, shaving, brushing teeth and getting dress seem to take more energy out of me. When I am done with washing up and dressing, I will collapse on the bed for a few minutes to restore my energy to some reasonable level.

Ditto from someone 2 weeks post-op, today. I find using cooler water in the shower helps. A hot shower is a recipe for disaster right now. Sounds to me like you're making exceptional progress. Keep on truckin'!

SumDay and Chuckanut:
Congratulations on your continuing progress and healing. It will get better day by day, do what your can, but don't over due and go backwards!
I appreciate your willingness to share your stories.

SumDay and Chuckanut:
Congratulations on your continuing progress and healing. It will get better day by day, do what your can, but don't over due and go backwards!
I appreciate your willingness to share your stories.

I hear you about going backwards. I have backed off some of the PT since it was just swelling and irritating my knee far more than seemed healthy.

I had a small victory today. A week ago I could not sit for more than 15 minutes max in my recliner. It simply hurt the knee to much to be propped up in that position. Today I spent nearly an hour in my recliner with only a small of amount of discomfort towards the end.

Part 10 – Two Weeks After the Surgery - may I fold some laundry?

Part 10 – Two Weeks After the Surgery - may I fold some laundry?

Two weeks have passed since the surgery on my knee to remove the arthritic bone surfaces and replace them with artificial implants. If I am about normal, that means I am ½ way through the darkest days of the recovery process. But, based upon the surgeons post op comments I suspect my knee took more of a beating than is normal. Apparently 40 years of bone on bone contact does a lot of damage

I have learned the make and model the implants that were put into me – a Stryker Triathalon #6 (size?) in both my femur and my tibia. Given the names, I guess I will be needing to learn how to play soccer. IMHO, the names they give these implants are deceptive. No way should I be running around on soccer fields or attempt a triathalon, even if the rest of my body were fine with it.

The knee is certainly far better today than it was two weeks ago. I can get into and out of bed without the aid of straps or somebody to support my leg. I can stand on my two feet for a few minutes before pain makes me seek out a seat. I can actually walk short distances inside my home using only my two feet, though it is still somewhat painful. For safety reasons I keep my walker or something I can hang onto nearby. I fear the consequences of a serious fall. Using a crutch I can go up and down stairs with relative ease, little pain, and very slowly taking one step at a time. I can dress myself though at times I still need the aid of a ‘dressing stick’. But, I can’t carry much if anything with me. (Note to self: dig out an old daypack to haul stuff up and down the stairs) I am still dependent on others for meals, laundry, transportation, taking out the trash etc.

My doctor wants me to limit weight bearing to 50% on the surgical knee. How I measure 50% is not clear. At the suggestion of the PT I have tried stepping on a scale and pressing down to see how 50% feels. I guess mostly it is making sure that I don’t spend more than a few seconds supporting my entire body weight with just the surgical knee.

So, I am certainly better and more functional than the day I came home from the hospital. But, my surgical knee is still not nearly as ‘good’ as it was before the surgery (which while it wasn’t good was certainly more functional than today). The difference is that the direction is now sloping up, where as before the surgery I had nothing to look forward to other than a steady - perhaps accelerating - deterioration year after year after year in the ability of my knee to function in normal life. .

Overall, my attitude is improved. I want to get out of the bed and do things. I want to make my own lunch. I want to hook up the ice machine on my own. I want to fold my own laundry and put it away. Doing these simple tasks feels good! The only issue is that even these small tasks make be feel tired for a ½ to 1 hour afterward. OTOH, it’s a great excuse for a nap. :D

The #1 problem I have by far is swelling around the knee joint. Swelling causes discomfort, pain, and limits the degree of motion in the joint. Unfortunately, some of the very exercises that are supposed to help me get my range of motion back also seem to cause the worst swelling. IMHO, this is something that the medical profession needs to address better, as it leaves a lot of patients wondering what is OK to do and what should be avoided. Advice on how to deal with the swelling/exercise conundrum reminds me of the old investment advice “Only buy stocks that go up. If they don’t go up don’t buy them.” So I fall back onto doing the basics. I am doing three exercises that help keep the leg straight, increase range of motion, and add some needed flexibility. Then I elevate and ice the knee. I also do additional elevate and ice sessions through out the day.

Good you're making progress... I take my 68 year old knees for granted, with probably a lot of other things (until you lose them).... How old are you?

Chuckanut, remember to focus on this fact:
The knee is certainly far better today than it was two weeks ago.
Recovery can take a long time, but you are making great progress. :) It's been a long, tough road, but soon all of this recovery time and effort will be behind you.

You are doing great . My SO's swelling lasted a lot longer then He was expecting .It took him six months for everything to be back to the new normal .As long as you are going forward slowly everything is good .

Part 11 – On the pain med seesaw

Part 11 – On the pain med seesaw

My doctor has prescribed two pain meds for my post op recovery.

One is OTC Acetaminophen (Tylenol) – 4000 mg spread over 24 hours.
The other is oxycodone 5mg tablets (take or one or two every three hours as needed for pain).

I would like to minimize the oxy for two reasons (1.) It is addictive in the long run and (2.) Getting the Rx refilled is a pain (pun intended).

After my first three days at home I worked the oxy down to one pill every three hours thanks to the post surgery pain level decreasing rapidly. I kept things at that level for about a week. Then I decided to take a chance on 1 pill every four hours. That has also worked well. No significant increase in pain. However, in the past week I have tried twice to work the oxy down to one pill every five hours. Ouch! Soreness and sharp pains in the knee joint returned even at rest. Apparently, the pain demons are hiding out, waiting for the med level to drop below a certain point, then they strike with a vengeance. (Note: I kept Acetaminophen at the same level through out the oxy changes.)

FWIW, I did not experience any type of withdrawal issues with the oxy, only more pain in the surgical knee at reduced levels. I attribute this to the low dose, having a legitimate use for the drug, and genes that are not impressed by addictive substances.

Chuckanut, you are doing a great job of weaning yourself off of Oxy.

I am probably more opposed to addictive pain medication than is anyone else on this forum. I have two reasons. First, I saw too many college students who became addicts due to recreational drug usage back in the 1960's and I saw what they and their loved ones went through. Some did not survive. Second, due to my miserable experiences quitting smoking in the 70's, I suspect that I might be easily addicted to substances or at least have an addictive personality or something.

That said, I think knee surgery is one of those times when taking an addictive pain medication is more than justified. So, I plan to go ahead and take Oxy (if it is prescribed) and then do what you are doing - - try to cut back if and when I feel like I can, but not feel too guilty if the pain is such that I can't rush it.

I have been using my ice machine a bit this week and it has been amazingly helpful in cutting back my (relatively minor, pre-operative) knee pain. For the last few nights I have been able to find a comfortable position to sleep in right away, which is a luxury that I wasn't experiencing before. Also I am able to get a better quality of sleep. And finally, I find that even a temporary reprieve from knee pain keeps it from wearing me down as much during the day. I am sure that you are already using your ice machine regularly, though, due to swelling.

FWIW, I did not experience any type of withdrawal issues with the oxy, only more pain in the surgical knee at reduced levels. I attribute this to the low dose, having a legitimate use for the drug, and genes that are not impressed by addictive substances.

When I broke my hip I was on Oxy for around 8 weeks. At first it was 10mg every 4 hours around the clock. That lasted for about 4 weeks. Then down to 5mg every 4 hours as needed for the next few weeks. I also took MS Contin 15mg(extended release Morphine) twice a day. All of those opiods and my pain was still at a 5 or higher so they were needed. Once they weren't needed I stopped taking them. Never had any withdrawls or cravings, no sign of any kind of addiction. I think if it's taken properly then there is no problem. Same thing after my hip replacement a year later although I didn't need to stay on it as long that time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom