Chuckanuts Total Knee Replacement story

My second night at home was much better. The Little guy sticking knife blades into my knee is gone, having been vanquished by the pain meds and a very small bit of healing.

My last hookup is gone! Yea! No more walking around with tubes coming
out of my body.

Ice and pain meds are my new best friends.

Fantastic! All great news!

My platform is still to low for my surgical knee. I think once the knee is mostly healed it will be a great improvement . The wheelchair was just to get me to the car. I use the walker mostly, and the crutches for those rare time I take the stairs.

Wow, I am surprised about that platform. Hope it isn't impossible to use your recliner even though it is too low.

Oh good! I'm glad you are not in a wheelchair, now that you are home. I don't know yet if I have to buy a walker like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K7DCWM1JQP03WTPE4EDF

and I will ask at my pre-op appointment on the 5th. Luckily they are cheap. My rollator probably won't be what they want me to have.

My second night at home was much better. The Little guy sticking knife blades into my knee is gone, having been vanquished by the pain meds and a very small bit of healing.

My last hookup is gone! Yea! No more walking around with tubes coming
out of my body.

Ice and pain meds are my new best friends.

Oh thank goodness!!! You are making a lot of progress.

Oh thank goodness!!! You are making a lot of progress.

Yes, but progress is like using a yo-yo walking up steep stairs.

Today is ending up more painful than yesterday but not nearly as painful as Tuesday. Good and bad days are the norm.

Four days since the surgery. The surgical knee is swollen which has greatly decreased the range of motion (Rom). First PT session today.

The dressing stick is my friend. [emoji2]

Oh boy...that is going to be SO MUCH FUN! :cool:

Just a walk in the park. [emoji44]

The therapist was actually pretty good, ImHO. She pointed out how I was misusing the walker and setting myself up unnecessary work and less full recovery. It made sense to me.

Just a walk in the park. [emoji44]

The therapist was actually pretty good, ImHO. She pointed out how I was misusing the walker and setting myself up unnecessary work and less full recovery. It made sense to me.

That's encouraging! Did she come to your house, or are you going to her? And if the latter, how did you ever manage to get into the car? Sounds tough, especially with decreased ROM.

The dressing stick is about the only thing I didn't buy. Maybe I should re-think that. :)

Those kangaroo knees look awful. :LOL: I think I'll pass! :D

Speaking of swelling, this morning I ordered an ice machine and one of those ultra-stable, cheap-o metal frame hospital walkers. I figured they probably wouldn't approve of my snazzy rollator right after surgery. Blow That Dough. Well, sort of. I had $62 in Prime Visa rewards which I applied.

My wife had her second knee done last April. She was doing great for two weeks and then, out of the blue, her whole leg swelled like a sausage and she became incredibly sick. Turn d out to be a staph infection in the new knee. Had to reoperate and replace all the plastic bits and flush out knee, then 3 days in hospital with drain, then two weeks in a nursing home getting intervaneous antibiotics. Won’t know for six more months whether it’s cleared up or not.

I hope it works out for you. It turns out all of us would need knee replacements eventually if we live long enough.

I'm a big fan of protein post op. Healing is made from protein and healing is a very metabolically active process. In addition some Vit C and Zink. Vit C and Zink are necessary to make scar. Not big huge doses but some. Were it me, I'd get a shower sleeve which is like a flexible plastic tube with a rubber gasket on the top and bottom to keep the water out and not rely on a band aid keeping the wound dry in the shower is good infection protection until the wound is completely healed

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Kne...&s=gateway&sprefix=knee+shower,aps,143&sr=8-4

Part 8 - a few things I learned while being at home.

1.) Audio books are wonderful

2.). When calculating when a very controlled substance Rx should be refilled remember that the Docs office is usually closed on weekends.

3. Doing PT is easier when the therapist is present. The knee cooperates more for some reason.

4. Everybody has advice on how to speed up your recovery. Like when to take SS they assume what is best for them or their 89 year old aunt is also best for everybody else including you.

5. Lumps together things that makes sense. Taking a walking break from bed? Use the bathroom at the same time. Try to get your food a bit before your next dose of tummy irritating meds. Oxy on an empty stomach is not fun.

6.) Learn the difference between the nasty pain of pushing to far and the healing stress of gently pushing your limits.

7.) Get numbers from people. I’ve been told that In the first few weeks I have to ‘ice, ice, ice’ my knee. What does that mean? 18-20 hours a day? 30 min on and 30min off all waking hours? Three hour long ice sessions a day?

The whole process done right takes far more time and energy than you thought.

Last edited:
I'm curious with all the new rules about oxy do you have to be present to pick up the medication ?

Well, not at Kaiser at least. I've picked an oxy prescription up for a friend there. Friend has broken back and is quite frail in general.

For ice 30 on 30 off is reasonable. 30 on 60 off sometimes is also reasonable. You don't have to be hyper anal about ice. If you push it too far make sure to ice

In FL I think you need to be present to get something like oxy but drive up and DL will work

I'm curious with all the new rules about oxy do you have to be present to pick up the medication ?

I think it depends on the state you live in. Here in WV, I have to show a driver's license to pick up the paper prescription (they can't wire it to the pharmacy like other prescriptions) and then again at the pharmacy when I or DW pick up the prescription.

Although they do have a delivery service I have not asked about having controlled prescriptions delivered so I don't know the answer to that one.

I had recent open heart surgery and they goofed up my prescription. The surgeon was 35 miles away and I was too sick to make a 70 mile round trip to get the new script so I just used tylenol. The new laws certainly pose a problem

+1

What state you and the doctor are in. My CO doc can wire a hydrocodone prescription in CO. When I had surgery in New Mexico last week they gave me a paper script for hydrocodone to be filled in CO. A couple years ago I needed something for a molar that needed a root canal, and my dentist was fishing in New Mexico. At that time one local pharmacy would allow him to call in tramadol but not hydrocodone.
I think it depends on the state you live in. Here in WV, I have to show a driver's license to pick up the paper prescription (they can't wire it to the pharmacy like other prescriptions) and then again at the pharmacy when I or DW pick up the prescription.

Although they do have a delivery service I have not asked about having controlled prescriptions delivered so I don't know the answer to that one.

I'm in FL and the rules are now tight as a tick here. You can write 3 days worth, 7 days with special provisions, all scripts need to be logged into state data base. And no renewals. You need more you need to go visit the Dr and go through the whole rigmarole again.

In my case I can take one to three 5mg pills every three hours depending upon my pain level and judgement of what I need. But, the insurance company is playing doctor and will only pay for a renewal based on the one pill dosage. Thankfully they are cheap relatively only about 50 cents a pill.

Part 8 - a few things I learned while being at home.

1.) Audio books are wonderful
I discovered that there are even a few free audio books on Youtube, like Walden.
2.). When calculating when a very controlled substance Rx should be refilled remember that the Docs office is usually closed on weekends.
Oh no!!! I am so sorry you had to go through that. Sounds really bad.

3. Doing PT is easier when the therapist is present. The knee cooperates more for some reason.
Hmm, interesting! Glad it helps to have the therapist there.

4. Everybody has advice on how to speed up your recovery. Like when to take SS they assume what is best for them or their 89 year old aunt is also best for everybody else including you.
This is true for so many things. I don't think they intend to be mean or insulting, but it sure comes off that way sometimes.

5. Lumps together things that makes sense. Taking a walking break from bed? Use the bathroom at the same time. Try to get your food a bit before your next dose of tummy irritating meds. Oxy on an empty stomach is not fun.
I am doing that in the pre-op stage. Not Oxy!!! :LOL: I mean, just lumping tasks together to minimize walking. My knees thank me when I do that.

6.) Learn the difference between the nasty pain of pushing to far and the healing stress of gently pushing your limits.
I haven't learned that yet. I keep thinking I can do more than I really can do in my present physical condition.

My wife had her second knee done last April. She was doing great for two weeks and then, out of the blue, her whole leg swelled like a sausage and she became incredibly sick. Turn d out to be a staph infection in the new knee. Had to reoperate and replace all the plastic bits and flush out knee, then 3 days in hospital with drain, then two weeks in a nursing home getting intervaneous antibiotics. Won’t know for six more months whether it’s cleared up or not.

So sorry ! That is a real problem.

A week has gone by since the surgery. It doesn’t seem that long.

At the end of the week I can offer a few thoughts:

1.). Knee pain and swelling are certInly worse than the worst day pre-surgery. But, now the quality of life line has, hopefully, started to move up rather than continuing down year after year at an ever increasing rate as has been my experience.

2. The worst pain seems to be past thanks to some healing and pain meds. But the swelling seems as bad as ever despite elevation and ice.

3.). Warnings about a long, painful at times, healing process were on the mark.

4.). A good recovery team is vital. Most importantly, they need to understand it’s your needs that have to be met, not what they think your needs should be. Thankfully, I have a good team.

5.). Balancing recovery efforts is critical. For example I could have less pain if I didn’t mind being more constipated and fuzzy brained. I’ve backed off the oxy a bit in order to be more comfortable overall.

6.). The various medical teams are very professional, but they often don’t talk to each other enough, thus little things get lost or dropped. They did a great job on pain treatment in the OR and hospital, then suddenly it’s handed off to me. It took me a few days to understand how to organize my activity, icing and drugs to minimize pain while not leaning to heavily towards popping narcotics pills.

7.) As much as possible arrange rehab care and equipment before the surgery. Get equipment and pain meds ahead of time. Make appointments for the first week or two of PT. Stock the fridge, lay in a supply of snacks, pay the next few bills early, etc.

8.). I sleep more while my body is recovering. Recovery sops up a lot of energy.

9. I only have two comfortable places to sit or recline - my bed and my recliner. All other chairs couches etc. are very uncomfortable. Because of this and the stairs in my home, I am basically Glamping in my bedroom.

10. Walking for 5 minutes each hour is refreshing. 10 minutes is to much. Two 5 minute walks with a break of 30 to 60 minutes are much more conducive to continued activity later in the day.

Last edited:
Chuckanut, thanks for your valuable perspective and reflections on the recovery process.

A week has gone by since the surgery. It doesn’t seem that long.

At the end of the week I can offer a few thoughts:

1.). Knee pain and swelling are certInly worse than the worst day pre-surgery. But, now the quality of life line has, hopefully, started to move up rather than continuing down year after year at an ever increasing rate as has been my experience.

Hang in there! They say that the first 2-3 weeks are awfully tough but the final results are worth it.

2. The worst pain seems to be past thanks to some healing and pain meds. But the swelling seems as bad as ever despite elevation and ice.
How awful. The only positive thing I can think of to say about that, is that hopefully the swelling is part of the body's effort to heal.

3.). Warnings about a long, painful at times, healing process were on the mark.

4.). A good recovery team is vital. Most importantly, they need to understand it’s your needs that have to be met, not what they think your needs should be. Thankfully, I have a good team.

5.). Balancing recovery efforts is critical. For example I could have less pain if I didn’t mind being more constipated and fuzzy brained. I’ve backed off the oxy a bit in order to be more comfortable overall.

6.). The various medical teams are very professional, but they often don’t talk to each other enough, thus little things get lost or dropped. They did a great job on pain treatment in the OR and hospital, then suddenly it’s handed off to me. It took me a few days to understand how to organize my activity, icing and drugs to minimize pain while not leaning to heavily towards popping narcotics pills.

7.) As much as possible arrange rehab care and equipment before the surgery. Get equipment and pain meds ahead of time. Make appointments for the first week or two of PT. Stock the fridge, lay in a supply of snacks, pay the next few bills early, etc.

8.). I sleep more while my body is recovering. Recovery sops up a lot of energy.

9. I only have two comfortable places to sit or recline - my bed and my recliner. All other chairs couches etc. are very uncomfortable. Because of this and the stairs in my home, I am basically Glamping in my bedroom.

10. Walking for 5 minutes each hour is refreshing. 10 minutes is to much. Two 5 minute walks with a break of 30 to 60 minutes are much more conducive to continued activity later in the day.
Great observations, and helpful to those of us following right behind you. Thank you for your open and honest discussion of your recovery during this first week.

I think it is great that you can already walk 5 minutes each hour.

Staying in bed like that, with your Lounge Doctor, it sounds like your knee is nicely elevated.

Good luck and I look forward to more posts from you as time passes, and you continue to improve! It really sounds like you are doing wonderfully so far. You are going through a tough process but with great rewards in sight later on.

Back
Top Bottom