Coffee!

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Per a recent study, it looks like a little (real) coffee is good for you:

Coffee Drinking and Caffeine Associated With Reduced Risk of Hospitalization for Heart Rhythm Disturbances | Kaiser Permanente News Center

I feel sensitive to caffeine so I pretty much stick to decaf and I know whose decaf coffee has more caffeine than others. I hope that this is true for chocolate too. I refuse to give up chocolate although I have cut back from bars to a piece every day. On my food pyramid chocolate is one of the major food groups.

I love coffee! If my teeth turn bright yellow then so be it!

I really love the old instant Nescafe Mountain Blend with chicory. Nestle bought Nescafe and changed it to only coffee - yuk. I believe there was an uproar in Canada about it (similar to the New Coke fiasco here) and they brought the coffee back as Nescafe Encore. I tried to order some from Canada and sadly, it never arrived - ever :(.

For awhile I was ordering coffee with chicory from New Orleans but then found some at the Indian grocer.

I do like my coffee, but it keeps me awake at night. I have had to switch to just one cup of half decaf per day, and eventually I will probably have to switch to all decaf.

At that point, I am thinking of switching to tea. Maybe that will allow me to sleep more easily. Or not. I am imagining myself at age 90 drinking hot water instead (just joking).

Per a recent study, it looks like a little (real) coffee is good for you:

Coffee Drinking and Caffeine Associated With Reduced Risk of Hospitalization for Heart Rhythm Disturbances | Kaiser Permanente News Center

I feel sensitive to caffeine so I pretty much stick to decaf and I know whose decaf coffee has more caffeine than others. I hope that this is true for chocolate too. I refuse to give up chocolate although I have cut back from bars to a piece every day. On my food pyramid chocolate is one of the major food groups.

I think your personal note might explain this phenomenon, although one would have to read the entire study to follow up on this idea. You don't say exactly what you mean by "I feel sensitive to coffee", but I would guess that many people who feel this way might be referring to palpitations or flutteryness. When my marriage was breaking up I had these symptoms, and my Doc told me to stop drinking coffee, which helped for whatever reason.

So if people with palpitations are perhaps more likely to someday have "major cardiac rhythm disorders", and they also are more likely to abandon or cutback on whole coffee, then we may a selection bias at work. A lot of maybes here, but that is the way with epidemiological sudies.

Ha

wooohoo! cuppa coffee for me - although my modern cup is about 2.5 technical cups.

cuppa coffee, glass of red wine, cuppa black or green tea - that is alot of stuff recommended to drink every day! what else? hehe

I love coffee! If my teeth turn bright yellow then so be it!

I really love the old instant Nescafe Mountain Blend with chicory. Nestle bought Nescafe and changed it to only coffee - yuk. I believe there was an uproar in Canada about it (similar to the New Coke fiasco here) and they brought the coffee back as Nescafe Encore. I tried to order some from Canada and sadly, it never arrived - ever :(.

For awhile I was ordering coffee with chicory from New Orleans but then found some at the Indian grocer.

In the USA there is a brand called Luzianne which has chicory in it. You can either order it direct from them, or get your food retailer to order it.

Luzianne Coffee | Dark Roast Coffee & Chicory

In the USA there is a brand called Luzianne which has chicory in it. You can either order it direct from them, or get your food retailer to order it.

Luzianne Coffee | Dark Roast Coffee & Chicory

Thanks! I know about that brand but have never tried it. It was I think Community coffee that I ordered from LA. Bru is the coffee from the Indian grocer.

Here in the middle of nowhere it's like pulling teeth to get a retailer to carry or order something for you.

Anyone like Chai? Hot tea (black tea) with evaporated milk and sugar. Good stuff!

W2R - tea has more caffeine than coffee I believe but decaf tea isn't so bad. You know we have a flood in common. How's it looking down there? We are set to demolish 700 homes this summer.

I used to drink Luzianne almost exclusively before fibromyalgia manifested and I went on the guifenissen treatment which forbids that much of a quantity of root herbs. I still miss it, regular coffee is just sharp and yucky in comparison.

My local store ordered it for me and everyone else loved it. They couldn't keep it on the shelves and it was always gone. And then despite the fact, or maybe because of the fact, that it was their best selling off brand, they stopped selling it. I suspect on of the competitors leaned on the store and said, "Stop".

W2R - tea has more caffeine than coffee I believe but decaf tea isn't so bad.

See? I knew it! I'll be drinking a cup of hot water each morning before you know it. :2funny:

tinlizzy said:
You know we have a flood in common. How's it looking down there? We are set to demolish 700 homes this summer.

It is finally starting to look better, though it will never be the same. We probably still need demolition on 100,000 homes or more (my guess).

Thanks! I know about that brand but have never tried it. It was I think Community coffee that I ordered from LA. Bru is the coffee from the Indian grocer.

Here in the middle of nowhere it's like pulling teeth to get a retailer to carry or order something for you.

Anyone like Chai? Hot tea (black tea) with evaporated milk and sugar. Good stuff!

W2R - tea has more caffeine than coffee I believe but decaf tea isn't so bad. You know we have a flood in common. How's it looking down there? We are set to demolish 700 homes this summer.
Not really true. Tea caffeine is a little diifferent molecule than the caffeine in coffee and has about 2/3's the amt in coffee. Not only that, it takes a full boil to extract the caffeine from tea while lower temperature water extracts the caffeine out of coffee. Green tea has a lot less caffeine than black tea.

The 2 types of coffee bean also varies quite a lot. Aribica beans have a lot less caffeine than the less flavorful and cheaper beans that make up most of the grocery store coffee. How you brew also changes the amt of caffeine. The less time the grounds spend in the water, the lower the caffeine so esspresso has less than most other brewing methods.

Yes, I'm a bit of a coffee nerd.

I like chai spiced tea but not chai. The evaporated milk and sugar explains why. Put a little cream, no sugar, and chai spice tea is yummy to me. I really dislike sugared tea.

Reactions: W2R
On my food pyramid chocolate is one of the major food groups.

Oh, mine too! I never acquired a taste for coffee, so I hope I am making up for the loss of its benefits with my chocolate consumption. :D

At that point, I am thinking of switching to tea. Maybe that will allow me to sleep more easily. Or not. I am imagining myself at age 90 drinking hot water instead (just joking).

As I mentioned above, I never acquired a taste for coffee so I never drank it. I have been a tea drinker for years, though. One thing I'll mention in case it helps anyone here - apparently some teas are high in tannic acid. A few years ago I was having issues with acid reflux and a friend of mine, who is a retired medical librarian, mentioned that drinking black tea at night could be causing this (I usually drink a whole pot of tea by myself). I switched to a South African tea called rooibos/redbush tea and that made a huge difference. It is caffeine-free and low acid, and supposedly offers other health benefits (but then, who knows?). Anyway, it has enabled me to continue drinking several cups of tea at night. W2R, maybe you can drink that when you are 90?! :LOL:

As I mentioned above, I never acquired a taste for coffee so I never drank it. I have been a tea drinker for years, though. One thing I'll mention in case it helps anyone here - apparently some teas are high in tannic acid. A few years ago I was having issues with acid reflux and a friend of mine, who is a retired medical librarian, mentioned that drinking black tea at night could be causing this (I usually drink a whole pot of tea by myself). I switched to a South African tea called rooibos/redbush tea and that made a huge difference. It is caffeine-free and low acid, and supposedly offers other health benefits (but then, who knows?). Anyway, it has enabled me to continue drinking several cups of tea at night. W2R, maybe you can drink that when you are 90?! :LOL:

Aha!! Maybe I can. :D Thanks

I am kinda partial to Peet's and Dunkin' Donuts. I also buy coffee from a nearby cafe that roasts their own beans. But, heck, I'll drink almost anything that is available including instant, freeze dried(altho I like Nescafe instant best).

Decaf for this girl all the way. Freebird on caffeine is not funny. :nonono:

I used to buy cheapo brand coffee. My new guy friend has turned me on to Dunkin Donuts coffee. I'm hooked! :LOL:
I bought 1 lb of whole bean at a DD store. In the spirit of LBYM, I researched and ordered DD whole bean in 5 lb bags, shipped to the house. It is cheaper in whole bean bulk quantity than comparable quality brands in the grocery store large cans. I didn't believe it at first either, but it is true. I grind it as needed, enough for 4 days.
I might even start the periodic subscription where it would be auto delivered every 10 weeks (or longer). I'm still figuring out our consumption rate and the comparison of product cost + shipping charges on the back of an envelope. :cool:

Yes, I'm a bit of a coffee nerd.

Can you recommend the least expensive quality burr grinder for doing beans at home? Mostly I will use it for for manual drip coffee, but some espresso. (Bialetti stovetop espresso pot.)

Usually I drink my espresso in a coffee house of which there are about 6 within 5 blocks or so, but sometimes if I have someone over I like to make it here. But I make drip coffee every morning, and occasionally later in the day too.

Thanks!

Ha

Can you recommend the least expensive quality burr grinder for doing beans at home? Mostly I will use it for for manual drip coffee, but some espresso. (Bialetti stovetop espresso pot.)

Usually I drink my espresso in a coffee house of which there are about 6 within 5 blocks or so, but sometimes if I have someone over I like to make it here. But I make drip coffee every morning, and occasionally later in the day too.

Thanks!

Ha
I gave up on burr grinders after burning up 2 of them and returned to my 30 year old Krups whirr grinder. It does a decent enuf job if I pulse it. Sorry

I gave up on burr grinders after burning up 2 of them and returned to my 30 year old Krups whirr grinder. It does a decent enuf job if I pulse it. Sorry

OK, you just saved me some money. :)

Ha

I use a Cuisinart Coffee Bar coffee grinder. It has stainless steel blades and a clear brown plastic removable top. You can "see" the degree of grinding as you go. You activate it manually by pressing down on the large button (switch) built into the top. It is very compact at 7" high x 4.5" diameter. Perfect for small quantity grinding without taking up a lot of countertop space. :D
I have as second identical one dedicated to whole spice grinding. I buy black peppercorns in quantity and grind as needed.
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffee_bar/dcg-20n.html

Back
Top Bottom