Coffee!

The report that coffee might inhibit development of type 2 diabetes caught my eye, since diabetes runs in my family.

"In 2002, a Dutch cohort study of 17,111 adults identified 306 new cases of type 2 diabetes and showed that those subjects drinking at least 7 cups of coffee per day were half as likely to develop type 2 diabetes. This association was statistically significant. Since then, more than a dozen other studies have confirmed this finding in other populations." Bring on that Columbian!

Coffee Health Benefits : Coffee may protect against disease - Harvard Health Publications

The report that coffee might inhibit development of type 2 diabetes caught my eye, since diabetes runs in my family.

"In 2002, a Dutch cohort study of 17,111 adults identified 306 new cases of type 2 diabetes and showed that those subjects drinking at least 7 cups of coffee per day were half as likely to develop type 2 diabetes. This association was statistically significant. Since then, more than a dozen other studies have confirmed this finding in other populations." Bring on that Columbian!

Coffee Health Benefits : Coffee may protect against disease - Harvard Health Publications

Just read that flex seeds help prevent type 2 diabetes. Since I need to drink coffee (rather than injecting caffeine intravenously), I will use flex seed powder instead of cream. It should cancel out the negative effects coffee has on type 2 diabetes. :D

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed
The hands acquire shakes
The shakes become a warning

- The Programmer's Mantra

It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed
The hands acquire shakes
The shakes become a warning

- The Programmer's Mantra

He who controls caffeine controls the universe.

Good thing this post was resurrected from 2010.

I LOVE COFFEE

There...I just wanted the World to know. I feel much better now as I post this while hanging out at Starbucks.

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Just read that flex seeds help prevent type 2 diabetes. Since I need to drink coffee (rather than injecting caffeine intravenously), I will use flex seed powder instead of cream. It should cancel out the negative effects coffee has on type 2 diabetes. :D

No, no, coffee discourages diabetes. So the seeds should enhance the positive effect --they both work toward a common goal, if the studies prove correct.

I have never been a fan of coffee, and straight doses of caffeine go right to my stomach. If I need a perk up I've started using Sprayable caffeine, it sprays on like a perfume and is taken slowly into your system. That way the caffeine sensitive don't seem to get the jitters and upset stomach involved in a straight shot to the belly :p It's a recent development for me, so I'm still seeing how it works, but so far so good!

We have Delonghi Magnifica, pain to clean but works well, I invented an AutoFill water reservoir for it using a miniature float system a couple of years ago, and it has worked well since. Filling the water was tedious. Now I just feed it through a filter from the fridge's water faucet.

I buy Lavazza Crema on line and it makes a great cup.

I was in Honduras last year and brought back best coffee I've ever had, at $4 a pound! Was certified organic, and was the "select" as in where they hand sort out the beans. I wish I'd thrown away my dirty clothes to make more room for more coffee!

I was talking to a scientist who actually works in the field. Slow caffeine metabolizers are at increased risk of heart disease from high caffeine intake while fast metabolizers are not. A few weeks later I got my 23 and me results. Sadly, I am a slow metabolizer. Poor me, but then again I sleep better without it since I metabolize it so slowly which I didn't really need a genetic test to know.

Simmer a heaping teaspoon of cocoa in 6oz of water for 5 minutes. Sweeten to taste (I use a tsp of brown sugar Splenda). Add a tablespoon of chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips and stir until melted. A little goes a long way. Also, only 3 WW points, 2 with regular Splenda.

I have started roasting my own. I had to buy a roaster (some people do it stove top or with a popcorn popper), but I can buy very high quality green coffee for 5 to 6 bucks a pound delivered. Having fun fooling with different roasts, blends, etc. and the coffee is really great.

I had a relative who used to live in Venezuela (years ago, Pre Starbucks). He would bring bags of coffee to the USA when he visited - for himself and to give as gifts. He could not drink American coffees of that era. Once we asked him who bought the best coffee. He told us the Germans bought the best coffee, then the Italians, then the French and Spanish, and then a mix of other nationalities. What about Americans? He made a motion like a workman sweeping the floor to remove the dust, dirt and whatever beans were left over. :(

Thankfully, today we get at least some of the better stuff.

I have started roasting my own. I had to buy a roaster (some people do it stove top or with a popcorn popper), but I can buy very high quality green coffee for 5 to 6 bucks a pound delivered. Having fun fooling with different roasts, blends, etc. and the coffee is really great.

I'm curious. Did that start before or after your official retirement?

I didn't drink it growing up but have acquired a taste.

Just got a Nespresso.

I was talking to a scientist who actually works in the field. Slow caffeine metabolizers are at increased risk of heart disease from high caffeine intake while fast metabolizers are not. A few weeks later I got my 23 and me results. Sadly, I am a slow metabolizer. Poor me, but then again I sleep better without it since I metabolize it so slowly which I didn't really need a genetic test to know.

Really interesting, I had no idea about slow caffeine metabolization. I am awake all night if I have coffee or tea after 3 pm; DH can drink it at ten pm and be sound asleep at eleven. I will google now re heart disease risk.

When I did 23andme, they could not publish health result. Good thing.

I had a relative who used to live in Venezuela (years ago, Pre Starbucks). He would bring bags of coffee to the USA when he visited - for himself and to give as gifts. He could not drink American coffees of that era. Once we asked him who bought the best coffee. He told us the Germans bought the best coffee, then the Italians, then the French and Spanish, and then a mix of other nationalities. What about Americans? He made a motion like a workman sweeping the floor to remove the dust, dirt and whatever beans were left over. :(

On a recent trip to Costa Rica, Britt coffee plantation guide said all the good coffee is exported to US.

I developed my coffee addiction while living in Germany. I never liked it before that. I've never been able to duplicate the best Geman coffee and I've even tried home roasting. I'm probably going to phase out my single, measly morning cup.

2# 2oz tub of Folgers on sale at Dollar General for $6.95, that's $3.36 a pound. and coffee futures are rising, stock up!

I admit to a coffee addiction (consume 3 to 4 cups daily). Good thing I'm cheap and not fussy about the brand of coffee I drink (Folgers, Maxwells).

Basically like all non-flavored coffee (both caf and decaf).

On the rare occasions when I splurge, Dunkin, Starbucks and Caribou all fit the bill.:D

Back
Top Bottom