Colonoscopy

You lucky dogs! I've been on the annual plan for over 20 years. Sigh...

Me too! 25, actually. Back then, I had an old-school doc who did them without sedation. Then they switched to a heavy sedative, then, more recently, they hired an anesthesiologist and now they basically put you under. Needless to say, the cost of the procedure has skyrocketed!
All in all, while somewhat unpleasant, I did prefer the old way - at least you walked out of there without a buzz, headache, or urge to throw up from the medication....

There are still doc's who will do them without sedation. I had two without, but switched doc's when I couldn't get a good estimate of total cost from previous doc. New doc was willing but made it clear he felt it was safer if I went under because he could do whatever was necessary without worrying about making me uncomfortable. I could see that, so agreed. As noted earlier, insurance ended up paying 100% anyway.

Why would you ever need them yearly?

DH had a boss who just developed polyps very frequently and he had to come back annually. I had 6 last time and I'm glad they still said 5 years.

I had no clue they could develop that quickly. I know they grow slow for most people.

I had no clue they could develop that quickly. I know they grow slow for most people.

Yeah, it's weird. Other than family history of polyps I have none of the risk factors. I'm normal weight, physically fit and eat mostly fruits and vegetables, typically fresh or stir-fried in the case of vegetables. Still, I can't complain. One woman in my garden club, probably in her 60s, went 5 years between tests and they found a growth big enough she needed surgery. It was benign, fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom