Colonoscopy, which prep?

SuPrep tablets require a lot less liquid so that's what I went with to avoid upchucking.

Unlike some other posters I had zero trouble eating nothing before & during the prep...clear liquids sufficed for me.

Those tablets caused kidneys to start shutting down even though I was only 50. It was a horrible experience.

Those tablets caused kidneys to start shutting down even though I was only 50. It was a horrible experience.

Yeah, my DW's kidney doc suggests that she may have damaged her kidneys during a colon prep years ago using one of the (recommended) citrate laxatives (probably mag sulfate without much liquid.) The preps with lots of liquid are specifically designed to spare the kidneys as I understand it.

It's kind of a given that the prep is gonna be awful and something to endure. But, avoiding kidney damage is worth the issues all the extra liquid may cause. I'm no doc, so follow your doc's procedure. YMMV

Koolau, you couldn’t pay me to use the pills again.

Last time - this was my fourth or fifth I think (family history) - I did the Ducolax/MiraLax and Gatorade prep. By far the easiest of the ones I've had and no vile taste. Not only was it easy to take but things moved swiftly and thoroughly without much hassle. Doc gave me a "nine out of nine" for cleanliness. It's all over-the-counter so no Rx needed and wasn't too expensive.

Of course, always follow the recommendations of your doctor.

I’m also a frequent flyer and I agree. You can find the exact formula online at Montana Gastroenterology along with other Oreos.

I've said it before, chase the prep down with a light beer. It doesn't help the prep taste, but it helps your attitude a bunch. Light beer meaning color, like a lager or pilsner, not a heavy stout or similar.

All I can say is the last two preps were pretty "gentle" meaning no gas pain, no discomfort, just less than delicious taste when I drank it. Chasing with lemonade, ginger ale, etc. makes it a little less unpleasant. Years ago the one I had was not so gentle and involved gas and pressure.

Back
Top Bottom