Colonoscopy, which prep?

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My time is up. Scheduled for a colonoscopy on Jan. 3rd. Not my first but could be my last?
My gastro Doc sent a Rx for Clenpiq but got a call from pharmacy and it's not covered by insurance so will cost me $120. But the gastro office called and said they have a free prep, Plenvu which is PEG, and that there's not much difference and that they all work well. The $120 cost is not a problem for me but I want the best tasting easiest prep.
Any suggestions?

My time is up. Scheduled for a colonoscopy on Jan. 3rd. Not my first but could be my last?
My gastro Doc sent a Rx for Clenpiq but got a call from pharmacy and it's not covered by insurance so will cost me $120. But the gastro office called and said they have a free prep, Plenvu which is PEG, and that there's not much difference and that they all work well. The $120 cost is not a problem for me but I want the best tasting easiest prep.
Any suggestions?

Last time I used SuTab, which is not a liquid but tablets taken with water, and it was by far the easiest of any prep I've done. Not covered, but not expensive either. I think it was around $45.

I did Clenpiq last week. The doc said it was effective and he could do the test successfully but I felt it was the least effective. I was worried they would send me home without doing the test. It was much better tasting that things I had used in the past. You may ask your doc about a coupon for Clenpiq. My insurance covered it but he gave me a coupon in case it didn't.

DW did the SuTab and thought it was convenient and it worked fine.

Last time - this was my fourth or fifth I think (family history) - I did the Ducolax/MiraLax and Gatorade prep. By far the easiest of the ones I've had and no vile taste. Not only was it easy to take but things moved swiftly and thoroughly without much hassle. Doc gave me a "nine out of nine" for cleanliness. It's all over-the-counter so no Rx needed and wasn't too expensive.

Of course, always follow the recommendations of your doctor.

Last time I used SuTab, which is not a liquid but tablets taken with water, and it was by far the easiest of any prep I've done. Not covered, but not expensive either. I think it was around $45.

This what I used last time. It was brand new on the market, and not covered by HI. But doc had a coupon for a free dose. After using it, I would be willing to pay out of pocket for it next time.

Last time - this was my fourth or fifth I think (family history) - I did the Ducolax/MiraLax and Gatorade prep. By far the easiest of the ones I've had and no vile taste. Not only was it easy to take but things moved swiftly and thoroughly without much hassle. Doc gave me a "nine out of nine" for cleanliness. It's all over-the-counter so no Rx needed and wasn't too expensive.

I use Ducolax/MiraLax and Gatorade prep, I find it easy and I like the taste. Lemon-lime Gatorade, goes down nice and smooth. Also I have to use what's best for my kidneys.

Last edited:

This is the one I will do in early February. I was scheduled in October but rescheduled when DH got Covid just a few days before my test, just in case.

+1

I have had 3 colonoscopies, and the SuTab prep ($40 in October 2022) was by far the easiest. Worth every penny.

My last one I had the same as Galaxy boy and it was the best. I had the pills for my first one at age 50 and got so sick that they thought perhaps the pills were causing my kidneys to shutdown and told me to never use it again.

My last one I had the same as Galaxy boy and it was the best. I had the pills for my first one at age 50 and got so sick that they thought perhaps the pills were causing my kidneys to shutdown and told me to never use it again.

I've been putting mine off because of the dreadful prep medicine. Just saw the former baseball player that died from colon cancer at 49. Plan to call next week to schedule. Hopefully I can use the tablets instead of the disgusting liquid prep.

IMO, the one to avoid is SuPrep. The vilest, nastiest liquid on earth. Everyone I've ever mentioned it to has agreed.

Any suggestions?
That's what I used in 2022. I was given a $40 coupon from my Dr's office.

IMO, the one to avoid is SuPrep. The vilest, nastiest liquid on earth. Everyone I've ever mentioned it to has agreed.

That's the prep I had. Wasn't able to get it all down. As a result, I wasn't totally cleaned out and now have to go back a year later.

Worse than colyte? A gallon of liquid that tastes like sweat. It is awful. I get nauseous from it.

Go to sutab.com, you’ll find a copay savings card for either $50 or $60 copay for Medicare or other insurance or no insurance patients. DW had a couple of embarrassing prep failures previously so sutab was her last chance. It worked well.
Last time for myself I had to drink the Golytely/Gavilyte solution. It’s a little over 1 gallon as I recall. According to the instructions, chilling it first makes it tastier. And if the procedure is to happen later in the day like 11 or later, you have time to drink the second half early morning on the day of the procedure. That’s what I tried but I just couldn’t stomach that cold salty liquid on an empty stomach. Fortunately I was already well cleaned out leaving out the last 16 oz.

I used SuPrep - not as awful as Golytely. SuTabs aren't covered by my insurance, but they would cover SuPrep - the brand name for $120 co-pay. Generic version was $30 through GoodRx.com. The pharmacy just ran the cost through GoodRx and didn't bill insurance.

Recently had a colonoscopy. I paid $35 for the kit at the doctors office. It basically was a bottle of MiraLAX, some pills that were probably Dulcolax, and a packet of I believe magnesium citrate.
You mix the MiraLAX with Gatorade after you take two of the pills. Then you take two more pills later with more MiraLAX and Gatorade. After that, you do the magnesium citrate powder which I believe was unnecessary. It wasn’t bad at all. Especially if you refrigerate the mixture. Good luck.

Don't remember which one I used, but for all 3 colonoscopies that I had, I just hold my nose and drink it all down with no issues.

I had this, but I mixed it was Sprite and it really wasn't half as bad as I was expecting.

Either way OP, next time I'd happily pay for the easiest and best experience vs. finding the cheapest solution.

That's the prep I had. Wasn't able to get it all down. As a result, I wasn't totally cleaned out and now have to go back a year later.

At my first colonoscopy I heard the man behind the curtain in the next bed talking to the nurse. “Have you had anything to eat today?” she asked. “Oh, no! Just some scrambled eggs and some toast.” :facepalm:

Anyway, reading this thread it seems there are several options available today that are much better than in times past.

I’ve only had one so far, and was prescribed Golytely. I don’t recommend it. It was a gallon of slightly salty liquid. First dose was OK, 2nd dose I could not keep down, and was worried that the prep would be compromised. Doctor said it was fine, but not a pleasant experience at all.

I’ll definitely be looking for SuPrep or the SuTabs next time.

I use Ducolax/MiraLax and Gatorade prep, I find it easy and I like the taste. Lemon-lime Gatorade, goes down nice and smooth. Also I have to use what's best for my kidneys.
This is what my G.I. doc recommends and it works well. I get to choose my preferred flavor of Gatorade/Powerade. I buy the generic Ducolax and Miralax. Total cost of about $10.

SuPrep is vile but not the worst I have had. I will ask for something else next time though as I was gagging hard with each sip last time. Salty nasty stuff.

Fleets phososoda I think it was called OMG I have never been so sick in my life. I was surprised I kept enough in me to clean anything as it was hard to keep down. I have never ever thrown up so much (sorry TMI) but I still shudder to think of it. I don't think it is even in use now.

I've had 4 of the damn things so far due to family history . . .

Last edited:
This is what my G.I. doc recommends and it works well. I get to choose my preferred flavor of Gatorade/Powerade. I buy the generic Ducolax and Miralax. Total cost of about $10.
Make sure it isn't fruit punch flavored........no red colored drinks during the prep. It could be mistaken for blood in your colon.

Back
Top Bottom