Colonoscopy Fun

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Once again it's time for my poop-shute procedure and I have been prescribed OSMOPREP to clean me out. The prep instructions advise me to take 28 tablets during a scheduled time frame along with 7 glasses of water. Seems like an easier way to flush the system than solutions that I have had to take in the past.

Got the script filled @ CVS and was advised that the cost was $128, but since I have Tricare I was charged $17.

Have any of you folks used Osmoprep? Comments?

Last edited:
I have not. I have a friend who cleansed with your pills, and he said it was OK.

The fact of the matter is that the stuff has to come out, no matter what you use.

I have had 2 procedures with "Suprep". It is a liquid, but I don't understand the big deal. Then again, I'm a guy who in college learned to chug. I just channel my best 20 year old self, and down goes the Suprep in about 3 seconds. Not a problem. But I can understand why some don't like it. Suprep kind of tastes like mild cough syrup. Almost tasty.

Now that I read my post, perhaps I have a problem in that I find chugging is way too easy. :)

BTW, I was really surprised with my last procedure that my Suprep cost me $0. I'm on an high deductible plan. But this qualified as "preventative", even though it was the 2nd in 2 years. Very nice. Rumor has it that it was due to ACA law, but maybe it was just my plan? The previous time it cost me about $70.

Last edited:
Osmoprep is the only thing I have used. The only problem I have is drinking all the water. That's probably a feature of any prep. The pills themselves are small enough, with a salty taste that's not too bad.

Sounds a lot better than the awful tasting/feeling antifreeze they had me ingest. The outflow isn't the problem. Swallowing that gunk is.

I have not. I have a friend who cleansed with your pills, and he said it was OK.

The fact of the matter is that the stuff has to come out, no matter what you use.

I have had 2 procedures with "Suprep". It is a liquid, but I don't understand the big deal. Then again, I'm a guy who in college learned to chug. I just channel my best 20 year old self, and down goes the Suprep in about 3 seconds. Not a problem. But I can understand why some don't like it. Suprep kind of tastes like mild cough syrup. Almost tasty.

Now that I read my post, perhaps I have a problem in that I find chugging is way too easy. :)

BTW, I was really surprised with my last procedure that my Suprep cost me $0. I'm on an high deductible plan. But this qualified as "preventative", even though it was the 2nd in 2 years. Very nice. Rumor has it that it was due to ACA law, but maybe it was just my plan? The previous time it cost me about $70.

Under ACA, at 50, a colonoscopy is covered as preventative.

I never minded the prep solutions so much, but when they come out the back door and your rear feels like raw pepperoni, thats another matter.

I had the choice between liquid or pills & the doctor recommended Osmoprep simply because he felt it would be much more "enjoyable" than drinking a quart of fluid.

Other than trumpeting like a rogue elephant for a few hours it went rather well (as well as could be I suppose).

_B

My most fun time, had food poisoning, after 2 full days went to hospital, as nothing stayed in. Day 3 DR. says we need to do a Sigmoidoscpy as they had seen something on a CT of my belly, he didn't like, but didn't say what it might be. I only had to take half of the prep stuff. But after the prior 2 days, I didn't want anything to make me go. It wasn't too bad, mother nature had done the preps work.

Oh they found nothing.

+1 on Suprep - I just had my first colonoscopy and this prep was no big deal IMO. Taste was not bad at all, and not too much liquids needed. I will avoid even jello and broths next time on day before however...what goes in MUST come out.

When you use products like osmoprep, you are subject to acute phosphate nephropathy, a type of acute kidney injury, associated with the use of oral sodium phosphate products.

Each OsmoPrep tablet contains 1.102 grams of sodium phosphate monobasic monohydrate, USP and 0.398 grams of sodium phosphate dibasic anhydrous, USP for a total of 1.5 grams of sodium phosphate per tablet. Inert ingredients include polyethylene glycol 8000, NF; and magnesium stearate, NF. OsmoPrep is gluten-free.
A safer alternative would be to use a peg3350-based product.

Using Gatoraide for electrolytes and Miralax or generic polyethylene Glycol 3350 (OTC), you can put together an effective, cheap, non-Rx clean-out: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/mpu/MiralaxGatoradePrep.pdf

No advice on the prep solution but I do have a hint about the fasting with clear liquids. Our Doctor allowed as many hard boiled eggs as you want. I had never heard of this so I called and asked and the reason is that eggs leave no residue in the bowel. So along with jello and the liquid for the prep solution having a couple of hard boiled eggs made it feel a lot less like fasting.

Check with your own doctor.

The prep is the worst part. I think the reason for lots of water, either separate from pills or as mixed solution you drink, is to make sure you have enough liquid to fully clean you out. So either pills with separate water or gallon of solution same end result. The solution is not the best tasting at all.

Actual procedure, get knocked out and then wake up when done. Fart a bunch rest of the day. The prep is by far the worst part of the procedure.

A safer alternative would be to use a peg3350-based product.

Using Gatoraide for electrolytes and Miralax or generic polyethylene Glycol 3350 (OTC), you can put together an effective, cheap, non-Rx clean-out: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/mpu/MiralaxGatoradePrep.pdf
I just had a colonoscopy. The prep was Miralax and Dulcolax, both OTC and relatively inexpensive. This was my third colonoscopy and the prep is the worst part. The actual procedure is painless.

Sounds a lot better than the awful tasting/feeling antifreeze they had me ingest. The outflow isn't the problem. Swallowing that gunk is.

I never minded the prep solutions so much, but when they come out the back door and your rear feels like raw pepperoni, thats another matter.

+1

Have done this 3 times. Each time a different prep, which I did not even care to remember, as taking them was a non-event. Quick dashes to the toilet, those I remember.

A friend of mine just went through a colonoscopy. They gave him some stuff called "Golitely", he said it tasted terrible and he had to drink at least a gallon of it. Fortunately no doctor has suggested the procedure for me yet and I hope they never do.

I had to glug the huge jug of "Golitely" prep every time I have had a colonoscopy. The remaining quarter of the jug is particularly nauseating. The last two times the gastro doc also required 2 Fleet's enemas the morning of the procedure for good measure. It is amusing that I bought the Fleet's from a grocery store whose cash register spews out coupons related to previous purchases. I now routinely get coupons for Imodium, Depends, Tums, Gaviscon, hemorrhoid creams, etc. even while the colonoscopies were several years ago.

I had colonoscopy #2 about 2 years ago. Never had a problem with prep. Colonoscopy #1 went well. Then, I moved and had a different Dr. for #2. Dr. #2 thought he was a comedian. He was no Dr., but a butcher. After Colonoscopy #2 there was bleeding, pain - like pooping razor blades, three episodes of internal thrombosis, etc. It took a year to get back to normal. Once you get a good Dr., don't change!

I had the pills for both of my colonoscopies. The worst part was staring at that last 8-oz glass of water wondering if I could bring myself to drink it.

I told this story before, but at my first time having this done the nurse asked me if I had anything to eat that morning. I laughed and said of course not. She said they have to ask and one time she asked a man that and he replied, "Oh nothing, just some scrambled eggs and toast." Guess who got to go home and repeat the prep another day?

I followed the instructions to the letter, and in all tests, the docs' written comments afterwards were "Nice prep!". I wonder if it was not the case, they would have noted it too, to protect themselves later.

Patients who are not doing their part to help the process only have themselves to lose, if the doc cannot do a good job.

I had the pills for both of my colonoscopies. The worst part was staring at that last 8-oz glass of water wondering if I could bring myself to drink it.

One thing DH's doc told him, which mine confirmed, is that once you're running "clear" you can stop drinking the prep fluid. As always, check with your doctor.

Last time I used a 2-day prep. I'd gone in and wasn't clear enough on the one-day prep despite following the directions. (I tend to eat a very high-fiber diet but am not sure how that could affect it; you'd think it would be the opposite.) The two-day prep worked and I found it less violent; it really starts at noon the first day and I got 2 nights of pretty solid sleep. I plan to use that one again.

Nodak, try to keep an open mind on this. I swore it was just one of those things they did to scare you and shake you/your insurance company down for money. My gynecologist, bless her heart, suggested a fecal occult blood test. (TMI to describe here but simple, non-invasive home test that indicates whether there's blood in the stool, which could be an indication you have a problem.) It came back positive. The colonoscopy found a nasty that might have developed into cancer over the next 5-10 years. It was easily removed, of course. Now I'm a believer. (And I did thank my gynecologist profoundly.)

Nodak, try to keep an open mind on this. I swore it was just one of those things they did to scare you and shake you/your insurance company down for money. My gynecologist, bless her heart, suggested a fecal occult blood test. (TMI to describe here but simple, non-invasive home test that indicates whether there's blood in the stool, which could be an indication you have a problem.) It came back positive. The colonoscopy found a nasty that might have developed into cancer over the next 5-10 years. It was easily removed, of course. Now I'm a believer. (And I did thank my gynecologist profoundly.)

Mine at age 50 saved my life.

Here's the thing. Every time I got a fecal occult test, it was clear. However, I was seeing things at other times. (TMI: streaking) By coincidence, the lesion was behaving on the days of the occult test.

I am open to it if needed, I just hope it won't be needed.

Mine at age 50 saved my life.

Here's the thing. Every time I got a fecal occult test, it was clear. However, I was seeing things at other times. (TMI: streaking) By coincidence, the lesion was behaving on the days of the occult test.

I knew that the fecal occult blood test was only an indication and would probably have gotten a colonoscopy eventually even if the test had been negative. I'm grateful that in my case it was the incentive I needed. I'm on 5-year recall now and at 3 years I had another FOB test because I'm more conscious that I may have issues. It was OK; will be back for another scope next year as schedules.

A friend of mine just went through a colonoscopy. They gave him some stuff called "Golitely", he said it tasted terrible and he had to drink at least a gallon of it. Fortunately no doctor has suggested the procedure for me yet and I hope they never do.

My first time was with Fleet Phosphosoda. Mixed a few ounces with ginger ale. No problem drinking it.

The seocnd one was with "Golitely". OMG I barely made it to the bottom of the gallon. I thought for sure I was going to vomit it up. I won't ever use that again.

I've only had this procedure once, and I used Prepopik on the advice of other forum members in another thread. It's a bit expensive, but it was really easy to consume and easy on my system. My wife did the Miralax/Dulcolax combo and got very nauseas.

Back
Top Bottom